Road to the BCS

Comments

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    I still have yet to hear anything that convinces me to keep the current system. The benefits of a playoff system completely outweigh bowl games...
    A playoff system could quite possibly destroy this infrastructure which is unique to the game of college football by rewarding the hottest team and not necessarily the best team.

imo, the hottest team is the best team...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    ZB,

Hottest ? ... What do you want to do ... Make it best 3 outta 5 ? ... The hottest as opposed to the best can come out ahead on any given day ... The last USC game is a good example ...

Demi,

While I would agree that a playoff system will give folks LESS to whine about, they'd still be whining about the seedings and as a result who they have to play etc ... for example in an 8 team playoff when #1 plays #8 in round one ( The quarters )
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    tommyboy wrote:
    imo, the hottest team is the best team...

Hate to keep pointing to baseball, but tell me the last time the best team won the World Series? Seriously... when was the last time the best, strongest, fastest team was crowned at the end of the season? Maybe the Subway series? But that's up for debate, since I seem to remember Atlanta having a better record than the Yanks that year.

You want to water down the mystique of playing at Michigan. Facing USC for the title. Notice how the word "pageantry" is only used when describing college football. There is an intangible X-factor that is due in no small part to the current bowl system.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Hate to keep pointing to baseball, but tell me the last time the best team won the World Series? Seriously... when was the last time the best, strongest, fastest team was crowned at the end of the season? Maybe the Subway series? But that's up for debate, since I seem to remember Atlanta having a better record than the Yanks that year.

You want to water down the mystique of playing at Michigan. Facing USC for the title. Notice how the word "pageantry" is only used when describing college football. There is an intangible X-factor that is due in no small part to the current bowl system.

They play a possible 7 game series. How can you compare the 2 systems? :confused:

It's a sport with completely different dynamics.
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I don't think people seem to care about what currrently makes college football great, they only care about instituting an NFL junior league.

what you think makes college football great I think ruins it... we all have different opinions.

I just want to see the game fair(for at least the top 4-10 teams).C'mon, why are you guys bitching about why this team didn't get selected to go to the championship, when you SHOULD be complaining about why this team couldn't get past a certain round...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    ZB,

Hottest ? ... What do you want to do ... Make it best 3 outta 5 ? ... The hottest as opposed to the best can come out ahead on any given day ... The last USC game is a good example ...

No 3 outta 5..

How 'bout 12 out of 12. Like I've been saying. Let the regular season determine the champ. Warts and all, it's still better than a one-game out and out.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    People care if their college football team schedules and loses to St. Mary's school for the Blind at the beginning of the season.

Do people even know their baskeball team started their seasons?
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    They play a possible 7 game series. How can you compare the 2 systems? :confused:

and plus they play 160+ games, compared to what... 12... So you need to be "hot" through the whole season and (potential, hopefully) playoffs anyways...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:

I'm not really comparing. I'm contrasting:p Baseball was fine with a league championship and then a World Series. Now the waters are muddy. And the best team loses in a system that is completely different from that which they were playing in and dominating during the regular season. Two-man rotation vs five... etc. etc.

Can you honestly tell me that college football would benefit from 5 different SEC teams bringing home the title in a ten-year span? The whole notion of building a program becomes a lot more tenuous than before. Sure they "build programs" in college basketball. It's just not anywhere close to the same scale.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Do people even know their baskeball team started their seasons?

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That's what I'm talking about:D

I think the Cards are 2-1. Can't really tell you who they're playing tonight. Ask me around March and you sure as **** can believe I'll be able to tell you:D
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    And that's my point Demi...
    Smaller programs cannot compete with their bigger bretheren. They can in basketball. They can in hockey. They can in baseball, foosball, bocce ball, and lawn darts. Just not in football. It takes years (sometimes decades) to bring a program to prominence. The Cards have spent nearly ten years just to enter the debate -- albeit on the **** end of it.

A playoff system could quite possibly destroy this infrastructure which is unique to the game of college football by rewarding the hottest team and not necessarily the best team.

This is not meant as offensive, but who are you to say they can't compete? If what you say is really true why are you so afraid of a playoff system? You said yourself would benefit, but you say a smaller program can't win. How do you benefit if you can't beat them? Nothing would change then other than the system would actually make sense.

I don't know anything about Louisville and their program, but I come from a major Big 10 school, Wisconsin, myself. We've gotten screwed for years by the system, and this year our only loss was to Michigan. We're not in a BCS game, and we're playing Arkansas in the Capital One bowl. We were told last year we couldn't beat Auburn, and we crushed them.

There's a reason the games are played.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    tommyboy wrote:
    and plus they play 160+ games, compared to what... 12... So you need to be "hot" through the whole season and (potential, hopefully) playoffs anyways...

And wouldn't it suck to stay "hot" for all of 162 games only to watch the Florida Marlins turn it on at the right time:p
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    And wouldn't it suck to stay "hot" for all of 162 games only to watch the Florida Marlins turn it on at the right time:p

Jason, I was talking about CF. To tell you the truth, I really don't give a **** about baseball:p. You only play 12 games in CF, so the hot teams are considered the best teams...

Well, I'm done here for today, I'll just say this one thing before I head out... The current bowl system SUCKS and needs to be changed.

Thank you and goodnight!
    Tommyboy
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006

Suck ? ... Yes ... Be Unfair ? ... NO ...
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    Can you honestly tell me that college football would benefit from 5 different SEC teams bringing home the title in a ten-year span?

I don't agree it would be the case, but if they have the best teams they deserve it. Flordia isn't going to be favored against OSU (Big 10). They may win, but that's why they play. I am confused as to the point you're making, though....The major football schools aren't all in the SEC...

Proof? Bolded are non-SEC teams

1 Ohio State 1.000
    2 Florida .945
    3 Michigan .934
    4 LSU .833
    5 USC .795
    6 Louisville .794
    7 Wisconsin .748
    8 Boise State .710
    9 Auburn .649
    10 Oklahoma .630
    11 Notre Dame .629

12 Arkansas .517
    13 West Virginia .507
    14 Wake Forest .431
    15 Virginia Tech

That's only 4 teams out of 15 with only 3 in the top 10.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I think any school can beat any other school in a one-game playoff. I do not think that this determines the better team.

And to me... BEST TEAM = CHAMPIONS.

btw no offense taken:p

As for Louisville, a win over Alabama in the '91 Fiesta bowl marked the beginning of a slow, steady ascension to to the top ranks. Beginning with an AD in Tom Jurich who had a vision, a long-term goal to bring the Cardinals to the top of the mountain. No way it could have been done in one, two, or five seasons. And everybody knew, but stayed the course. Without going into details (orchestrating a move to the Big East, intelligent hires, massive facility overhauls, a totally revamped recruiting system, etc.), many, many key moves and decisions were made to improve the programs year in, year out. This year we have been rewarded with a BCS bid.

In every other sports, there is always next year -- or worse yet, the possibility of getting hot at the right time. Rome wasn't built in a day. And that's why you have the glory of Rome.

edit: Tom Jurich officially became AD in '97. The original post was somewhat misleading. I might even say it really began with Howard Schellembeckdkfkldjfekrjljrrr (sp?)
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    The major football schools aren't all in the SEC...
    Agreed ... and if everone could agree that the real #1 team is in there ( or more likely in the top 8 ) somewhere then by all means have a playoff which begins ...

#1 vs #8
    #2 vs #7
    #3 vs #6
    #4 vs #5

UF would most likely be gone after round one ...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    The SEC was drawn out of a hat. I really should have broadened my scope so as not to confuse things. How 'bout if we crowned ten different champions over ten years?
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I don't think people seem to care about what currrently makes college football great, they only care about instituting an NFL junior league.

Phantom, I totally disagree. Most people that love the game of college football love it for the perceived purity of the game. No over the top celebrations allowed, no huge salaries, no getting away with breaking the rules and still playing because your team needs you to play to pay the bills.

For the most part, guys are playing for the passion of the game. People who in many instances grew up in their home state and are now playing for the team for which they always rooted. Yea, college ball is big business, but not for the fans. The fans want these guys to play their entire careers. In fact, many people I know that love college ball are only moderate pro fans, if at all. The NFL themselves have even gone out of their way to prevent guys with only two years of time out of high school to be allowed to enter the draft. Maurice Clarett was the landmark case. They fought him tooth and nail. There may be other factors at hand, but they could have opened Pandora's Box had they let him waltz in.

I find the passions run much higher in college football when compared to the pros. I recently attended a Falcons home game and was disappointed at how the whole game was about loud music and distractions instead of the focus being on the game at hand. I have little desire to go again anytime soon. I'll take 80,000 rabid Gamecock or other college ball fans anyday.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    univera wrote:
    I find the passions run much higher in college football when compared to the pros. I recently attended a Falcons home game and was disappointed at how the whole game was about loud music and distractions instead of the focus being on the game at hand. I have little desire to go again anytime soon. I'll take 80,000 rabid Gamecock or other college ball fans anyday.

Well I think we can all agree with this:)
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    univera wrote:
    I find the passions run much higher in college football when compared to the pros.

And I can personally guarantee to you that the passion will diminish each time you crown a national champion with 2+ losses.

Compare the faces of college football players of a national championship contender school after an early season loss to a much lower ranked school to the faces of college basketball players in the same situation. Its not even close. Its an entirely different universe.

Tell me how to institute a playoff and NOT take that away from the game.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Phantom please add me to your weekly Newsletter mailing list...

You cast light where there were only shadows:D

You know... in an eight-team playoff, it was very possible two years ago that the Cards could have eked out a national championship. If the chips had fallen just right. Would they have deserved it? Hell No!!

But when Bush and Brohm return next year to take us to the top o' the mountain, you can rest assured it will be all the more sweet because it will be deserved:)
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Black or White, huh ... There is no gray ... The older you get the more you discover that most things are some shade of gray.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    If you are gonna take 10 then you might as well take 16 as either way it's an extra week ... Forget the conferences ... The top ranked 16 will do ...

The reason I said 10, is because the NCAA already says that a playoff system infringes on their schooling too much.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Black or White, huh ... There is no gray ... The older you get the more you discover that most things are some shade of gray.

I don't know what this means, or what it's directed toward:p

I have said numerous times in this thread that I would consider a 4-team playoff. Possibly convert all the BCS bowl games into playoff games -- revolving year in, year out.

I said consider:D
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    The reason I said 10, is because the NCAA already says that a playoff system infringes on their schooling too much.
    As far as the number of rounds ( weekends or whatever ) goes ... If you are gonna have enough rounds for 10 teams you might as well make it 16 teams since the number of rounds are the same ...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    And I'll say it again... I'm not ready (and I suspect I'm not the only one) for a 5th seed champion followed by a 12th seeded champion followed by an 8th seeded champion followed by the improbable run of a 15th seeded champion.

With four teams, you're at least making a better attempt at crowning the best team.

College football (unlike every other sport) is pretty good at determining who the top 3 or 4 teams are throughout the course of the season.

In the event a cinderella makes their inevitable "any given Sunday" run, have you really determined the best team?
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Assuming the rankings are correct ... Demi makes a valid point about Wisconsin ...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Oh, I agree Wisconsin got snubbed. Two better teams in the conference, however. Played games determined this. Yes, Wisconsin deserves a better bowl and I agree a lot of teams get overlooked for BCS games or relegated to bowls where they have no business playing. I'm talking about the national championship here.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    I hear ya ...

This year the problem school is Boise State... Should there not be a chance to see if they can beat up on those ranked above, regardless of how unlikely that might seem, given that they've yet to lose one ? ... What if Louisville hadn't had their unlikely loss to Rutgers ... They probably still wouldn't be ranked in the top 4, especially if USC hadn't lost ... Does that mean that they shouldn't have a chance ? ...