Road to the BCS

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Bring on the squeeling pigs. Figures my 2 teams are facing eachother, but I have to go with the home team. McFadden is the only thing that got Arkansas as far as they did this year. As a Razorback fan I can say that they are that one dimensional. Dick sucks, and McFadden is a better QB and he's a damn RB. Should be a good game either way, but I say Wisconsin wins it!

250px-BuckyBadgerGraphic.gif
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    After all the Cards have done to climb this mountain and we get another overachiever in Wake Forest....

Guess the debate continues.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    I hate all the possible controversy from the BCS, but any kind of playoff system completely takes away the importance of regular season games. I enjoy the fact that every single game matters.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I agree 100 percent.....

notice how college B-Ball is losing its luster?
    Might as well wait to March since the hottest team prevails. Parity and playoffs.. be careful what you wish for.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    sorry for the slight derail phantom but I have a question about college football bowls.

I try to get myself to like college football, but I can never get into it. I'm not a big basketball fan, but there is nothing better than filling out your brackets for march madness.:)

Am I the only one who hates the bowl games? IMO, its the worst "Playoffs" in proffessional and college sports. Its just not fair and (at least to me) not fun to watch. The only one worth watching is the rose bowl except if you went to a particular school who went to a bowl game... Now I know they can't do a basketball tournament but I think they should at least maybe do a top 8 or something like that. If you are one of those who doesn't like the bowl games, what would you do differently?

tommyboy
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I hate all the possible controversy from the BCS, but any kind of playoff system completely takes away the importance of regular season games. I enjoy the fact that every single game matters.

oops, I should have waited a few minutes to post...:o
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Rest assured, you're in the majority T-boy. Just be careful what you wish for. An eight-team playoff sounds good in theory, but its impact on the regular season would be HUGE.

College football is the only sport where every game matters.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    I disagree that a playoff system would ruin things. I watch college football for the love of the game, not because of the meaning behind the regular season games. The goal in any other sport is to get to the playoffs or the tournament, and there's no reason this wouldn't work in the NCAA, it would just be different than it has been. That said, at the end of the day everyone wants a champion, be it their team or another. The B(c)S system makes this nearly impossible since the best teams aren't always facing off against one another. As much as I am glad not to see a rematch, the fact Florida is in it is still ****. Fair is fair, and this certainly isn't. Of course it would damage the TV ratings and render their regular season meetup useless...

The real point to be made in all of this is that there would be a playoff system if the schools weren't making gobs of cash off of these bowl games. It's a sad thing that such a great college sport has the most disasterous end year in and year out.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Agreed... but maybe only four teams. You know when I lost interest in baseball? Not becasue of the strike. Not because of steroids. Not because of an era of inflated stats in a sport where the importance of stats is tantamount.

I lost interest when the number of playoff eligible teams were expanded.... the inclusion of a wild-card and a five game playoff. Now it's all about who's hottest and who has the two best starters.

Yeah, the BCS is a festering wound, but its still grounded in the importance of a regular season. Parity is a **** and can ruin any sport. I'm all about the dynasty, even if its not my team necessarily. You start handing out championships left and right like they do in baseball and you lose a little bit of the magic that makes college football so grand.
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    Rest assured, you're in the majority T-boy. Just be careful what you wish for. An eight-team playoff sounds good in theory, but its impact on the regular season would be HUGE.

College football is the only sport where every game matters.

I disagree, Regular season games should determine if you make the playoffs or not, period. It should not automatically give you first and second place... If there was an 8-team playoff, most of the time, there would be a different outcome.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I'm just saying that all college football needs is a revolving door on champions.
    You expand to a playoff system.... this is what you'll have. Listen.... my team (Louisville Cardinals) would benefit immensely by going to a playoff system. A high-powered offense that can take out anybody when its running on all cylinders.

Like I said, all I have to do is look at baseball to remind myself what overdependency on a playoff system can do. Are you really ready to crown Boise State champion just because they turned it on at the right time?

Look how long and hard the Cards have worked to even garner so much as a passing glance from BCS officials. This courtship. This song and dance has always existed and for good reason.
  • tommyboy
    edited December 2006
    Are you really ready to crown Boise State champion just because they turned it on at the right time?

yes... because they would have to beat the best teams in college football and if they can do that, they deserve it.

It is so complicated to choose whos number 1 and 2 just by going off the regular season... They all played different teams under different conditions. etc.etc.etc... Thats why there are playoffs, to see if you are a great team playing the best teams in your sport... If you can get through that, then IMO you deserve to be the champion...
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006
    Who has Boise played this season that is truly legit? I honestly have no clue. I don't believe Florida is good enough to beat OSU, and I'm an SEC fan. However, Michigan had it's shot and USC blew it. Part of me hopes Florida gets smacked as I feel they are overrated and bearers of extremely good fortune. Had they not blocked an extra point and then a game winning field goal against the Gamecocks, they are out of the picture.

I don't feel Louisville could hang in the SEC, but they should smoke Wake.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Like I said.... there are teams that are better equipped for a playoff run and there are teams that are better suited to stay dominant through the course of a season.

Granted, choosing 1 and 2 is a minefield. Watching a seventh-seeded West Virginia tear down the goalposts is another beast all together.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    univera wrote:
    Who has Boise played this season that is truly legit? I honestly have no clue.

Sacramento State 45-0
    Oregon State 42-14
    at Wyoming 17-10
    Hawaii 41-34
    at Utah 36-3
    Louisiana Tech 55-14
    at New Mexico State 40-28
    at Idaho 42-26
    Fresno State 45-21
    at San Jose State 23-20
    Utah State 49-10
    at Nevada 38-7

:rolleyes:
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    Then we start seeing teams pulling back their starters at the end of the season after they've already clenched a playoff spot... not caring about losing a game here and there because its only the playoffs that matter. Strength of schedule goes out the window... DivIAA teams will become commonplace opponents. It goes on and on.

It DOES make a huge impact. And personally I don't feel like its worth it.
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    Do teams in NCAA BB care if they win their conference championship? Why do they even bother having a conference championship? Why even bother having conferences?
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I think you pretty much hit it out of the park OG.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006
    Boise is weak and doesn't belong. A joke of a schedule. Hawaii is decent and Oregon State beat USC. Otherwise, a joke.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    The real elephant in the room is the fact that voters decided to flip-flop their votes for Michigan and Florida. What prompted this? An off-week? Since when do the voters do this.... I've seen it happen, just not with this much on the line. It seems that the idea of a Big Ten rematch was too much to deal with.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited December 2006
    The only problem I see with this years Champoinship game, and that Florida is in it, is the rankings for the last 2 weeks.

When Mich. lost to Ohio State, they should have fallen in the polls, but they stayed #2.

Mich was #2 for WEEKS, then - Oh wait, we need USC in the title game, let's move USC into #2 and make Mich. #3, well crap USC lost.

Does Mich. reclaim #2, nope let's make #4 Florida the #2 team.

Michigan got jumped over two times without losing a game?????
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    I think Oklahoma showed in 2003-04 that if you can't win your conference, you shouldn't play for the nat'l championship.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    exactamundo Hoosier...

makes sense, doesn't it?
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    UF's win over Arkansas was anything but convincing with 17/31 passing and 2 interceptions ... 3 fumbles that fortunately for them they held on to ... less time of possession ... etc etc

I suspect they get beat ( possibly severely unless they play significantly better then they did Saturday ) and then Michigan winds up as #2 which is probably where they belong ... Personally I would have rather seen OSU & Michigan again on a neutral field but that won't be happening ...

Right or wrong at least no one will be saying what about UF after the fact ...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    USC beat Notre Dame

Florida beat Arkansas

Pretty good arguments in my opinion.
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    Personally I would have rather seen OSU & Michigan again on a neutral field but that won't be happening ...

With a rematch, there are 2 possible outcomes.

1-Ohio State wins again. Hmm... we already had an idea that would happen considering THEY JUST PLAYED EACH OTHER!!. Big screw you to all the non-Big10 teams who might have actually beaten Ohio State.

2-Michigan wins. So who's the champion? Michgan beat Ohio State, but Ohio State already beat Michigan! Now we have multiple bowl winners who could claim supremecy. Sounds wonderful.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited December 2006
    I can take the Championship game and all, But!!!!#11 Notre Dame is in a BCS Bowl, come on, WTF.

The BCS has the clause:

"No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks."

So we have to watch LSU kill ND.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    And Phantom.... if we go to a playoff system, you can expect this beast to rear its ugly head on an annual basis.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    What's bs is that Arkansas, who was the out-right winner of the West division and runnerup of the overall SEC championship got screwed out of the Sugar Bowl. It flat out says that if the SEC winner isn't available(Fla due to the BCS championship game) the #2 SEC team goes. That just cost the University of Arkansas a shitload of money. Let's also not forget that Arkansas is probably the smallest school in the SEC, even smaller than the private school Vandy. Unless things have dramatically over the last few years, Arkansas only had about 13K undergrads, which is pretty small for a D1 college, much less an SEC school. I hate collegiate politics.

Oh, and for all you rematch folks...if you can't even win your conference outright, how can you justify playing for the National Championship.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    hoosier21 wrote:
    I can take the Championship game and all, But!!!!#11 Notre Dame is in a BCS Bowl, come on, WTF.

The BCS has the clause:

"No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks."

So we have to watch LSU kill ND.

And this is where the business side of the BCS shows its true colors...
    Notre Dame puts asses (and plenty of 'em ) in seats. Their fans travel better than anybody, which is a moot point since so many of 'em can be found in every corner of the galaxy.

As long as Notre Dame can put a team on the field (Peewee or otherwise), the BCS committee will always take a long, hard look at the Irish.