Road to the BCS

zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I guess the hot topic right now is whether or not Louisville deserves a shot at the title game...

Some points of interest

1) the Big East's record of 25-8 against non-conference BCS opponents is tops among the BCS conferences

2) if Louisville wins out, they will have beaten nine probable bowl-teams

3) no division IIA schools were on the schedule, rare in a day and age when teams feel its their god-given right to schedule "crosstown rivals" such as Indiana Institute of Bartending Tech

4) what if Michael Bush were playing this season? Would we be having this same discussion? Or would the presence of a Heisman Trophy candidate give them more legitimacy?

I'm trying really hard to hear the SEC's argument here (and even the Big Ten's to an extent). I just want to be presented with something more than the presupposition that the SEC is "you know, better".
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    I doubt very seriously that Louisville, OSU, or Michigan could make it through the SEC without losing at least one game. That's not saying that they aren't great teams, at all.

Let's just see if Louisville can make it through the regular season without a loss. We already know that OSU and Michigan won't.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    I doubt very seriously that Louisville, OSU, or Michigan could make it through the SEC without losing at least one game. That's not saying that they aren't great teams, at all.

Fair enough...
    I understand the defensive speed in the SEC rivals most conference's offensive speed. That alone makes the SEC an exceedingly tough conference, but it has its powderpuffs just like everyone else.

A lot of it is the SEC mystique. I have the privilege of being at the nexus of three BCS conferences (Big Ten with Indiana, SEC with Kentucky, and of course, the Big East). For the SEC to rest on the laurels of its stellar defense when its offense leaves much to be desired is IMO fallacious.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2006
    I watched the Lousiville vs West Virginia game. Neither of those teams would score close to as many points against the top tier SEC or Big 10 defenses as they did in that game. Secondly any of the top SEC or Big 10 team's offense would pretty much dominate those defenses. LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and probably even South Carolina could score a lot of points on them. I doubt any Big East team would finish in the top 2 of either division of the SEC or the top 3 of the Big Ten this year.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    In defense of the Cardinal's defense, that was their worst showing by far this year... Actually, there defense has shown flashes of brilliance this year, especially when Brohm was out.

edit: also, I didn't mean for this to be a "should they or shouldn't they" thread for the Louisville Cardinals (though it may seem like it:D )

what about the numerous one-loss teams? Let's hear from them.

Or even you Boise St or Rutgers fans:eek:
  • ND13
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    I watched the Lousiville vs West Virginia game. Neither of those teams would score close to as many points against the top tier SEC or Big 10 defenses as they did in that game. Secondly any of the top SEC or Big 10 team's offense would pretty much dominate those defenses. LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and probably even South Carolina could score a lot of points on them. I doubt any Big East team would finish in the top 2 of either division of the SEC or the top 3 of the Big Ten this year.

Agreed.

This is where the BCS computers don't work. To get through the SEC with only one or two losses is virtually impossible except for the elite. The SEC teams always ruin it for each other, year in and year out. When LSU and Auburn went undefeated, through the regular season, a few years ago, that was incredible. The SEC teams beat up on each other sooo much, that when it comes time for bowls, a team is lucky if they don't have several key players on the injured list. They really need to get rid of the BCS and have some sort of single elimination tourney(for the Elite conferences and add in a couple of teams from lesser conferences that have shown greatness during the season)...kinda like what DII does.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2006
    If Louisville wins out, nothing would make me happier than seeing them go to the BCS title game...

...and then getting blown out of the water. :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    If Louisville wins out, nothing would make me happier than seeing them go to the BCS title game...

...and then getting blown out of the water. :D

My best friend (who is a UK fan, and more significantly, an SEC fan), has lined it up even better than this...

He basically says that "yeah, Louisville could beat any team on a given night, but they still don't deserve to be in the National Championship -- even if they are undefeated".

Which is tantamount to saying, "even if they do beat OSU for the Championship, they still don't deserve to play for the title".

Talk about hedging your bets:confused::p
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    I have no problem with the 'ville going to the title game.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited November 2006
    One thing for sure, morons and not a playoff format will decide the NCAA National Champions.
    Carl

• Shizelbs
    edited November 2006
    Agreed. I would love a playoff system.
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    I hope they never have a D1 playoff. I like the bowl system. Lots of teams get to end their season with a win. The bowls are supposed to be a reward for the players after a good season. A playoff simply makes that more of a grind. The playoff would be for the fans and viewers and schools....NOT THE PLAYERS.

Besides....I think it's more fun to BS about what people think should have happened or would have happened. The pros have a playoff....Why can't the college game remain different? Of course the standard answer... as it always is...well, it will make more money (yes it will...for everyone but the players).

But at the end of the day....does it really matter?

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    I hope they never have a D1 playoff. I like the bowl system. Lots of teams get to end their season with a win. The bowls are supposed to be a reward for the players after a good season. A playoff simply makes that more of a grind. The playoff would be for the fans and viewers and schools....NOT THE PLAYERS.

Besides....I think it's more fun to BS about what people think should have happened or would have happened. The pros have a playoff....Why can't the college game remain different? Of course the standard answer... as it always is...well, it will make more money (yes it will...for everyone but the players).

But at the end of the day....does it really matter?

wow...we don't agree on ANYTHING...

If yer getting paid to play (so to speak), there needs to be a better system..The Miinesota Gophers always make it to some crap bowl each year by beating up on horrible teams to get to 3-0 before the Big Ten season even starts. From there they only need to go 3-5 to be bowl eligible..yippee
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    I guess the hot topic right now is whether or not Louisville deserves a shot at the title game.

oops...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited November 2006
    Well I guess there is not a question of whether Louisville will go undefeated now.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2006
    too funny... all that whining about a bias against the Big East and now if WV beats Rutgers it was all for nothing. :D

So I guess now everyone thinks Rutgers can hang with an Ohio State/Michigan/Texas/Florida? :rolleyes:
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Okay.. I'll eat a big heapin' bowlful of crowserolle. You're right... they certainly do not deserve a shot at the title. I really wish so many in the media who had such a strong opinion concerning their credibility could have actually seen more of their games....

That being said... this season becomes a HUGE "What-IF" in regard to the Michael Bush injury. We've been playing with fire in the red zone all year, but last night was the first night where he would have truly been the difference maker. No one to shove it up the middle, and the passing game gets neutralized a bit.... Brohm had the off-game that every A-list quarterback will have (however rarely)....

Kudos to Rutgers for taking an undersized D-line and punching a much bigger O-line right in the kisser. Kudos to the Big East for rising from the ashes...

Not to throw a wrench into all of this, but how does Rutgers beating Louisville
    edify either the Big Ten or the SEC? If I'm not mistaken, the SEC points to precisely these same in-conference slugfests when it comes to making a case for their supremacy.

Yes... I think the SEC and Big Ten are better conferences.
    Yes... I don't think either Louisville or Rutgers are one of the two best teams in the nation.

However, I do believe that 17-10 wins by the number one team in the nation garnering hardly any talk, while a quality win against a strong West Virginia team, delivered a huge heaping steaming pile of "whatever".

The SEC still has a lot to prove on the offensive side of the ball.
    The Big Ten has its own fair share of powderpuffs.
    The Big 12 is down this year.

I guess it was easy to cast the collective gaze on the Big East...

And now that they're out of the picture, the ensuing cannabalism is going to reach epic proportions.

I think we can all agree that the national debate gets a whole lot interesting now.
  • ND13
    edited November 2006
    The people who designed the BCS system were counting on there being only one or two undefeated teams each year. They will not admit to this, but I'd bet on it and I'm not a gambling man. Whenever there's more than two lossless teams, it throws a huge monkeywrench into the system....no doubt there.
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    The SEC still has a lot to prove on the offensive side of the ball.

Top 25 teams based on points per game

Big East - 3
    SEC - 3

West Virginia - 40
    Louisville - 37.8
    Pittsburgh - 31.7

Average = 36.5

LSU - 35
    Tennessee - 31.3
    Arkansas - 30.8

Average = 32.36

I think the SEC on average does just fine against some of the best defenses in the country. Steve Spurier brought his "fun-n-gun" offense to the SEC many years ago and the rest of the teams had to catch up.

• zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    You got me there Shack:o

That's all I'm asking....

I guess the 6-3 contests become the league's signature games sometimes....
    I mean, where else are you going to see those sort of games except in the SEC?

Speaking of Spurrier, we'll see if his squad can clear up the BCS picture a bit more this weekend by beating his ex.
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2006
    The Big 12 is down this year.

The Big 12 North... yes. Not the south. Oklahoma should be 8-1, they were robbed by the PAC-10 officials.

Notice I'm NOT making claims about any Big 12 team "deserving" a shot at the title. There's still alot of football left to be played before the whining and finger pointing should start. :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    There's still alot of football left to be played before the whining and finger pointing should start. :D

Oh come on... let me get my whining and finger pointing in now before the 'ville completely drops off the radar:D

Speaking of which, I've been too sick to look at SI.com this morning. How does the Big East BCS bid shape out if West Virgina beats Rutgers? How do they determine the tie-breaker in that situation?
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited November 2006
    How does the Big East BCS bid shape out if West Virgina beats Rutgers? How do they determine the tie-breaker in that situation?

Are you assuming that WVU beats Pittsburgh? That's a big assumption!
    Carl

• zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    Are you assuming that WVU beats Pittsburgh? That's a big assumption!

That's funny you say that... I've been saying all year that Pitt at Pitt was our trap game. Turns out it was Rutgers.

I've got nothing but respect for the Panthers on their home field. They're a whole different team.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited November 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    too funny... all that whining about a bias against the Big East and now if WV beats Rutgers it was all for nothing. :D

So I guess now everyone thinks Rutgers can hang with an Ohio State/Michigan/Texas/Florida? :rolleyes:

Sure, why not? If you're considered an underdog, football is the best sport to be in. Anybody can beat anybody in a single game. That's been proven many times in the past. For now only time will tell if Rutgers can pull off the Cinderella season of the century!!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2006
    Basically had their way with the Vols, 31-14
  • ND13
    edited November 2006
    jcaut wrote:
    Basically had their way with the Vols, 31-14

HELL YEAH!!! I just hope they don't let their guard down against Miss St. Then we get some sweet revenge against LSU.
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, there were some big upsets today. I'm watching Texas down 3 near the end of the game at Kansas State. I love college football, and I love me some upsets.

Oh, and Stanford beat Washington.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited November 2006
    No let down for OSU or Michigan this week. Looks like No.1 vs. No.2 at the Shoe the 18th. OH YEA.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Now I know we've got some opinions out there...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    I'm just glad I didn't start talking smack about the Texas when this thread first came out... sheesh.

Its too bad the Pac-10 officials robbed Oklahoma or they might be in the title game instead of Florida.