October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    kmac2 wrote:
    We were not permitted to speak directly to him,

Say What :confused: :eek: You accepted that? "Not permitted" by whom? I don't care what the subject of any parent's concern about their child's school is, you got a problem or a question about what's going on, you get yourself to that school and campout at the principal's door if you have to. What a load of horse crap. "Not permitted". "We (loads of parents) individually contacted the school principal. He wouldn't talk to us." :rolleyes: unf*ckingbelievable

I felt the same way at first, however I was willing to take the statement, "after they read the ciriculum they will feel better" first and read the ciriculum before I organized a group of parents to storm the school. (picture and old Frankinstein movie) :eek: What the ciriculum showed was NOTHING. They were not teaching anything about G & Ls or human behaviour or sexual orientation, nothing. Then we realized that it was the school district's call not the principal. We are going in to see the principal next week to get an explaintion of all this but I think he and the School board members responsible are going to tap dance around the issue.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    Here is another fact people should know. If you contribute for short & long term disability at your job, once you get approved for disabilty your company will demand that you pay a good portion of what they paid you back!

They even have companies that will help you fill out the forms, telling you not to worry you will get a check from your employer for the rest of your life!

****! No sooner did my brother get approved, they they sent a letter asking for almost 20,000 dollars back!

They knew full well that he wouldn't have it since he was approved for SSDI & SS. So that let them cut off his check! Supposedly it's in the fine print! But no one comes straight out & tells you this!

The bottom line is no company wants to give a former employee thousands of dollars when they aren't getting anything in return for it. Even if it's only half your salary!

There is a good point here. The thing to do is to make sure that the short & long term disablility insurance that you purchase pays you IN ADDITION to SSI/SSD. I remember the last policy that I had, had a statement to that affect in it and at the time I didn't realize the ramifications.

My warning about this particular subject is because even if you do get the maximum SSD benefit it is no where nears enough to maintain anything but a meager existance unless you have something to suppliment it. Most disability insurance policies offer 70% or 60% percent of your salary as the disability pay out. If I would have kept the 70% insurance suppliment I would be getting an extra $7500 a month based on my last yearly salary. I can tell you that is 6 times more than the maximum amount I get from SSD.

Please don't make the mistake I made make sure you are completely covered in this regard.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2006
    While I have read each and every post in this thread my instinct has been that this new program is either due to new members on your school board pushing their interests with a promise of "rub my back and I'll rub yours" or that this goes higher up.

The following is unfolding in California. The first link is to a site with more conservative views than I hold and may give some of you a headache but I highly recommend that everyone reads this article. It not only has relevance to the topic of this thread but what will eventually roll out in other states.

"Get ready for '****' textbooks"
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49666

Here are direct legislative links to the bills referenced in the above article:

AB 606 status: sent to the Governor.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0601-0650/ab_606_bill_20060914_enrolled.html
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_606&sess=CUR&house=B&author=levine
    The bill would allow the Superintendent of Public Instruction, if he or she determines that a school district is not in compliance, to use any means authorized by law to effect compliance, including, but not limited to, the withholding of all or part of the relevant state fiscal support of the school district.
    icon3.gifYour tax dollars at work or against you?

SB 1437 status: vetoed by the Governor on 09/06/2006.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1437&sess=CUR&house=B&author=kuehl
    icon3.gifAfter reading this consider being in the shoes of a teacher worrying about a student being offended, telling his/her parent(s) and being sued under State Penal Code.

If what you say is true, your principal flunked this year by informing you via a calendar and using your children repeatedley as the messenger.

I definately would not support this program in it's current form. It is my view that this way of thinking will only continue to divide us. In this country's history it has happened before with disrespect towards native Indians, Blacks, Chinese, Irish, Italians, and at the current status quo it will continue.

While I was in school the only group of people that were taught to me as "different" are the handicapped. I still have a bit of an issue anytime I see one (what about the ones that are not obvious?). From my personal viewpoint and life experience I have learned to accept them 99% of the time. Notice I say ACCEPT versus TOLERATE. I often wonder if I had not been indoctrinated to view handicapped persons as "disabled" if this would still be the case.

Based on what will be happening with California's school books I can only imagine there will be library book burnings (it makes to much common sense to sell the old books that are now labeled offensive). Japan's rewriting of school history books comes to mind.

COWBELL #1: If tolerance programs are going to be taught in our taxpayer funded public schools it should include all people and not focus on an individual group.

COWBELL #2: Parents must become more involved with their children's curriculum and tell their local judges and elected officials (influenced more these days by SI groups) to take a hike.
  • Polk65
    edited September 2006
    During every coherent moment as a young critter on this planet and to this day I consider myself lucky beyond all measure to have spent my summers working on a farm. This has been the ultimate reward in my life. I do not subscribe to "let live and let live" but "what happens, happens" based upon nature, not other's influence.

The only other point I can think of adding here is that if this curriculum procedes (and it will with books mandated in the classroom by State law) then ultimately there will be required analytical thinking and supposition involved with all course work biased on sensitivity towards what the author has written versus the actual content. Interpretation and creative writing IMHO should be based on personal interpretation not influenced underneath another's.

EOL: Blame the book lobbyists?

P.S.: Thanks management for allowing us to carry on a somewhat on topic discussion.

P.P.S.: Bring back after school programs like MUSIC which I know some here are actively involved.

& this just in: Currently Active Users: 233 (1 members and 232 guests)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    The primary issue that was metioned was the fact that such a month even exists. That it was at 9yo was a secondary point made.

I'm sure the school system is intelligent enough to parallel appropriate subject matter with the age/maturity of the students in the classroom.

Oh boy Brett,you assume way too much.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Polk65 wrote:
    During every coherent moment as a young critter on this planet and to this day I consider myself lucky beyond all measure to have spent my summers working on a farm. This has been the ultimate reward in my life. I do not subscribe to "let live and let live" but "what happens, happens" based upon nature, not other's influence.

The only other point I can think of adding here is that if this curriculum procedes (and it will with books mandated in the classroom by State law) then ultimately there will be required analytical thinking and supposition involved with all course work biased on sensitivity towards what the author has written versus the actual content. Interpretation and creative writing IMHO should be based on personal interpretation not influenced underneath another's.

EOL: Blame the book lobbyists?

P.S.: Thanks management for allowing us to carry on a somewhat on topic discussion.

P.P.S.: Bring back after school programs like MUSIC which I know some here are actively involved.

& this just in: Currently Active Users: 233 (1 members and 232 guests)

Music, sports, school sponsored scouts, debate clubs, books clubs, glee club, whatever happened to all those things. I remember when I was a kid and when my 23 year old was a kid, we had so many activities to keep us busy that we didn't have time sit in front of 500 channel tv or hours of brainless video games etc.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2006
    All of these activities require staffing & money. From what I hear, schools barely have enough money to buy the required basics & adequate staffing.

Will you support your taxes going up to fund these extra activities? Most people usually say no!

Music, sports, school sponsored scouts, debate clubs, books clubs, glee club, whatever happened to all those things. I remember when I was a kid and when my 23 year old was a kid, we had so many activities to keep us busy that we didn't have time sit in front of 500 channel tv or hours of brainless video games etc.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Polk65
    edited September 2006
    It would make me feel kind of funny if bonds I voted for went where they were supposed to.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited September 2006
    When dealing with school boards and administrators, one of the canned responses you're almost certainly guaranteed to receive is this:

"What would you like us to do ?"

That way they only have to do the bare minimum, and if you haven't provided them with a solution, than it is your fault.
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    All of these activities require staffing & money. From what I hear, schools barely have enough money to buy the required basics & adequate staffing.

Will you support your taxes going up to fund these extra activities? Most people usually say no!

These are all activities that were already part what public schools had established since I was a kid which was 40 years ago. The taxes have gone up since sooooo what happend to the extra cirrcular activities. Taxes up extras go down . . . doesn't seem fair to me.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    Music, sports, school sponsored scouts, debate clubs, books clubs, glee club, whatever happened to all those things.
    Perhaps it was the special interest groups that were anti music, book, glee, debate, and scouts that told the schools to wipe those programs out.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Perhaps it was the special interest groups that were anti music, book, glee, debate, and scouts that told the schools to wipe those programs out.
    Yeah we all know that **** & lesbians suck at sports and music, but they seem to be good at debating LOL :D:D:D
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Yeah we all know that **** & lesbians suck at sports and music, but they seem to be good at debating LOL :D:D:D
    Where do you get that **** are no good at sports or music?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2006
    These **** debates are worse than cable and wire debates. Luckily, they are less heated. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Where do you get that **** are no good at sports or music?

Come on Brett lighten up it was a blatant joke.:)
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    madmax wrote:
    These **** debates are worse than cable and wire debates. Luckily, they are less heated. :)
    madmax

You got that right, you can't even crack a joke.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I wasn't jumping....just wasn't clear that it was a joke, since that is a fairly usual assumption.......no worries.......
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited September 2006
    Hetero or Homo-wire, does it make a difference? Discuss.......:D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I wasn't jumping....just wasn't clear that it was a joke, since that is a fairly usual assumption.......no worries.......

Easy there big boy! the heated debates gets that adrenelin going and I pop corks too . . . :eek:
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Hey Brett,

Did you ever think this thread would make it this far???

Joe
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    For many reasons, no.......

And we all know that **** wiring is clearly superior (probably looks better too)......;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    For many reasons, no.......

And we all know that **** wiring is clearly superior (probably looks better too)......;)

No doubt it looks better but don't forget the jacks are female.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Banana jacks all the way.......
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    OH don't start kissing and making up!!! :mad: Let's see more angry debate... :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    just cuz we're talkin about somethin else doesn't mean i stopped thinking you were an idiot faster..... ;) (you asked for it)
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Heeeeyyyyy I resemble that remark!!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2006
    Sexuality is the LEAST of Cliffy's issues. He could keep a team of shrinks gainfully employed for a decade.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Polk65 wrote:
    While I have read each and every post in this thread my instinct has been that this new program is either due to new members on your school board pushing their interests with a promise of "rub my back and I'll rub yours" or that this goes higher up.

The following is unfolding in California. The first link is to a site with more conservative views than I hold and may give some of you a headache but I highly recommend that everyone reads this article. It not only has relevance to the topic of this thread but what will eventually roll out in other states.

"Get ready for '****' textbooks"
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49666

Here are direct legislative links to the bills referenced in the above article:

AB 606 status: sent to the Governor.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0601-0650/ab_606_bill_20060914_enrolled.html
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_606&sess=CUR&house=B&author=levine
    The bill would allow the Superintendent of Public Instruction, if he or she determines that a school district is not in compliance, to use any means authorized by law to effect compliance, including, but not limited to, the withholding of all or part of the relevant state fiscal support of the school district.
    icon3.gifYour tax dollars at work or against you?

SB 1437 status: vetoed by the Governor on 09/06/2006.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1437&sess=CUR&house=B&author=kuehl
    icon3.gifAfter reading this consider being in the shoes of a teacher worrying about a student being offended, telling his/her parent(s) and being sued under State Penal Code.

If what you say is true, your principal flunked this year by informing you via a calendar and using your children repeatedley as the messenger.

I definately would not support this program in it's current form. It is my view that this way of thinking will only continue to divide us. In this country's history it has happened before with disrespect towards native Indians, Blacks, Chinese, Irish, Italians, and at the current status quo it will continue.

While I was in school the only group of people that were taught to me as "different" are the handicapped. I still have a bit of an issue anytime I see one (what about the ones that are not obvious?). From my personal viewpoint and life experience I have learned to accept them 99% of the time. Notice I say ACCEPT versus TOLERATE. I often wonder if I had not been indoctrinated to view handicapped persons as "disabled" if this would still be the case.

Based on what will be happening with California's school books I can only imagine there will be library book burnings (it makes to much common sense to sell the old books that are now labeled offensive). Japan's rewriting of school history books comes to mind.

COWBELL #1: If tolerance programs are going to be taught in our taxpayer funded public schools it should include all people and not focus on an individual group.

COWBELL #2: Parents must become more involved with their children's curriculum and tell their local judges and elected officials (influenced more these days by SI groups) to take a hike.

Let's get back to the heated debate. Brett apparently you have not read the first link above because I don't feel the heat coming out of my pc from the steam blowing out of your ears.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    When I have more time to read all those, I will. I did read the first link last night, but that's almost moot since the veto on 9/6, so we'll see.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited September 2006
    Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica should be kicked out of office for wasting taxpayers time and money. What a pile of BS!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk