Home Theater Receivers

13»

Comments

• nico
    nico Posts: 104
    edited October 2002
    Thanks Paul. I finally made a decision and got the 4ES and I'm really happy with it. My polk sounded better than with the other unit. This thing is a tank! I think it weighs 44LBS. I just watched WINDTALKERS and it sounded great. I did a noise test with this unit by choosing CD without playing any CD and turned the volume up and as the volume got louder I started hearing hisses coming from the speakers. Does anybody know what causes this? Is it the harmonic distortion? Any input would be greatly appreciated. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    here is a link that haves sony 5es receiver on sale
    http://amsound.com/av_receivers.html
    its $899
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Jargan04
    Jargan04 Posts: 10
    edited November 2002
    Here is my question. I hve Polk R40 in front R15 in back and cs175i for a center. I have $600 to spend for a reciver. I'am looking at the Pioneer VSXD811S, Pioneer VSX41 ELITE, Denon AVR1803, Sony ES STR-DA1ES ,and the Yamaha HTR-5490. Which is the best reciver out of those. I have to buy a new reciver in the next 2days so I need to know soon.Any advice is welcome.
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    Nico- i have the V555-ES receiver, and I love it a lot. I have the same problem as you where I can hear a faint hissing noise when I turn the volume up with no cd. It is not really noticeable unless I turn it way up. It really doesn't bother me, but I'd like to fix it anyways. I have talked to good guys about it and they said it can be fixed and it has been occuring on some ES models. I just haven't had the time nor want to part with my receiver for any period of time.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    Thanks I also went to good guys and talked to someone extensively regarding the hissing. We actually listened to different receivers ie. DENON, YAMAHA, and even their PARASOUND amp. and they all had the hissing when we tested them. So he says that it is normal for all unit to have some hissing. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Nico:

The hissing is inherent noise being produced by the amplifier. All amps, no matter how well built, produce some noise. The key is how much noise do they produce compared to the gain they provide. This is known as the signal to noise ratio or S/N for short. If you were actually playing a music source at that volume setting, it would be so loud that the background hissing would be completely inaudible. S/N ratios of around 100 dB are typical for quality audio components. In short, it's nothing to worry about.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • nico
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Doc that makes me feell a lot better. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200