Home Theater Receivers

Comments

• Drowning_Fish
    Drowning_Fish Posts: 4
    edited July 2002
    I finally made a decision. I went with a slighty older yamaha model as I saved alot of money...the RX-V620 (90Wx5).

My opinion: AMAZING! :D
    ..for both music and movies :D

I learnt something, just because something is a little older doesn't mean it wont work as well.
    On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    I learnt something, just because something is a little older doesn't mean it wont work as well.

Couldn't agree more......;) Love all my Yammie stuff:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2002
    Let me add something about a/v receiver's......you can't keep current to save your life .As soon as your current, they bright something out new.It's just the way of things.
    Buying a last years model at a good price is a good thing.I want to say......to hell with the new formats........But they just keep coming.
    Good job
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • robpass
    robpass Posts: 5
    edited July 2002
    well i'm going with a new model, old styling. Seriously upping the budget but stepping out for the NAD c370. Figure its got all the grunt plus a bit, and it'll last.

I'm yet to own the rest of an av system and even if i did i'd have no plave to set up theatre properly. I never watch tv anyway. So for now, i'm a dedicated 2 channel listener, and i'd rather do the 2 channel thing in style. WHen i have the money for theatre, i'll do that in style too! first i gotta find a house...
  • Marcusm
    Marcusm Posts: 3
    edited July 2002
    Recently bought an HK AVR-320. Great match for RD-40's and the CS-175i. However, I need advice as to what amp I should hook up to it to upgrade to 7.1 channel sound.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    Marcusm, I have the 520 which is 7.1 and don't think the 320 can do it. If i understand your question, you need to upgrade the avr.

Regards
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Marcusm
    edited July 2002
    In regards to the HK AVR 320, actually it is capable of both 6.1/7.1 so long as it is coupled with an amplifier. It also came with another remote for dual room control. I believe the main difference between the 320 and the 520 is the increased wattage, among other features. With its listening modes, I hear no difference between "Hall 1" and "Hall 2". All in all, for 500 bucks, it was great value for the $$.

Enjoy
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    I didn't realize that. OK, the Outlaw, model 770 is a 7 channel, 200Wrms per channel and is very good. I know this because I bought 1 and have been very pleased. 5 year warranty and purchase directly over the internet.

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products.html

Good luck
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Marcusm
    edited July 2002
    Thanks for the advice, but $1799, ouch! Ive spent too much as it is. :p
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    I am very happy with the Karmon Kardon AVR7000. You might take a look at the AVR8000 (newer model) Also check http://www.audioreview.com/
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Mantis,

Did you ever receive my email about a week ago? I hadn't seen this post as of then and sent you an email detailing my system and asking for your opinion. I hit the email link in your profile here, so I'm assuming that it went through ok.

Lemme know.

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • scotta2z
    scotta2z Posts: 10
    edited August 2002
    I've got an Onkyo 777(eBAY for $350) to replace my Onkyo 5?5 (refurbished for <$200). I must say that Onkyo is a great brand, upper mid range end, but not quite in the big leagues. Haven't had any problems with either and they both are run at college levels often (gave the old one to my pops and he loves it).

One note though, in the past years, Onkyo knows its name and has jumped its prices up. I just hope they do not get too full of themselves and end up like Sony. I still reccommend them though, but you have to keep an eye out for the right bargain.

good luck,
    AZ
  • lkj858
    lkj858 Posts: 1
    edited August 2002
    Anyone tried the pioneer 811s? I'm planing to buy one about $299.99 plus shipping and tax. It has great features and all the latest formats but I don't know if it will mix well with my RT800i and CS245i.
    Any feedback would be most welcome.
    Thnaks
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    Personally I'd steer clear of anything by Pioneer that's not Elite. Then again, I wouldn't be buying a $299 receiver either. I doubt you would be very happy with the sound quality when you match it to nice speakers like what you have.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited August 2002
    I Have a Onkyo 595 (75w) that drives Rt1000i Front, Cs400i Center, and Rt35i Rears. In a 22x14 room. I does the job very well. I got it for $260.00 refurburished from Ubid.com. It was supposed to have a 90 day warranty but when I received it the warranty was for a year.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited August 2002
    I also have an Onkyo 595 receiver and I'm driving SDA1-C's
    as fronts, SDA 2's as rears, CS400i center and 450 sub.
    The 595 handles movies and music very well.
    Onkyo is great.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • deq15
    deq15 Posts: 56
    edited September 2002
    Forget all that HT circuit city, wiz crap it is all garbage - the Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Kenwood, Onkyo - havent heard the pioneer elite or the HK but here is the best way -- get a digital decoder so that you can control all 6 channels with one knob, get a carver 5 ch. HT amp and a powered sub - done. time you are done the cost is the same as buying "receiver" but you can wind it all the way up - clean, Zero distortion - unless your speakers cant take it - no noise its the best way.
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    Of course someone is going to come in here and throw names around like Sunfire, Lexicon and a couple others and send this into discussion that involves thousands more that you are talkin here. Look into the sunfire theater grand series and the like bu sunfire - they can be "reachable" via Ebay and it is better than anything CC sell by far
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    Spend the money if you can - you wont be dissapointed. I tried the nickel and dime game too - some would say I still do - but Good stuff lasts and sounds good forever. Buy Carver stuff on Ebay - the value is tremendous
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    when i replave my onkyo 787 i will be doghing so with the b&k Reference 30 and the Reference 7270 i think that will be good for the next upgrade
  • RBagbanly
    RBagbanly Posts: 4
    edited September 2002
    Tried HK with Polks (RTi70, R50) and Boses (601, 701). HK and Boses sound good together, but with Polks sound was a little bright to me.

Got a Kenwood VR-6070 THX select (cheapest THX receiver I could find). With RTi70 music is OK, but movies - knocks out of socks instantly. Like it.

RB
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2002
    old stuff is great...as long as u take care of it...someone can buy the same thing, same day, same year and 15 years later can work fine and look great and the other one could be cut in half and not work at all...considering its cut in half...lol! but receivers...i like denon...they mate good wit polks. but yamaha is good for the money...they have clean amps...(but a bright sound) and is really well built. you can buy a htr-5460 i think for 300 or so... 100 x 5, .06 thd, 20-20!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rwrvpem
    rwrvpem Posts: 32
    edited September 2002
    I have a Denon 4802 hooked to my RT2000i's and the sound is fantastic. My center channel is a CS400i and my surrounds are FX500's. I plan to add my old RT600i's as rear surrounds once I move into the new house. All in all, I am extremely happy with the combination. The 4802 was a bit expensive, but I am happy with the results. (I went from a Sony STR DE945 that sounded alright at the time, but when I hooked up the Denon, what a difference!)

Try listening to as many different receeivers as you can and see what you like. When you find a brand you like, buy the best model you can afford (that way you won't wish you got that one extra option).

Also, try adjusting the speaker placement. Alot can be remedied by moving speakers around. Getting a setup disc and sound meter also helps.

Good luck and hope you find the right combo.

Rick
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    If you can afford it, get a Harmon Kardon AVR-8000 and rock your house.
  • nico
    nico Posts: 104
    edited October 2002
    Hello everyone, since you guys are on the subject of home theater receivers I need to start a poll between the sony 4es and the denon 3802. According to crutchfield's comparison chart they are pretty close. Same power ratings on all channels, price ETC... Please share some of your HONEST opinions and HELP me decide which of these receivers I should buy. Thank you NICO.
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    2 be straight with you, they both have a good sound.Sony ES is nice.I like there receivers for warm sound quality.The Denon is much better in terms of set up ,ease of use, Multiroom...etc.The Denon also has a warm sound.they both are nice but the Denon is better In My opnion...for rt line Polks All day.:)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks Mantis. Anyone else out there want to give me your 2 cents? I really appreciate it NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    Hi nico,

welcome to the forum, my 2 cents: I have a Sony STR- DB 1070 it
    is now called STR-DA2ES. It's nice, haven't had any problems with
    it for $699. I think it's a good value. I really like the two sets of
    multi-channel inputs. I have both a SACD, and a DVD-Audio player.
    I really like it for home theater. I added a Carver TFM-35x 250x2
    power amp to the main speakers ( RT1000's) and it really opened them up for 2 channel listening. Think about what you want the
    receiver to do, and what other components you plan to have in your system. I don't need multi-room capability. I don't need to be
    on the cutting edge of new format developments. The more I listen to my system the more I like it. All things considered I would
    buy it again.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for your 2 cents jmasterj I really appreciate it. Another question for you. My speaker set up is 2 RT55i's for fronts, CS400i for center and 2 RTi38's for rears and an Infinity il100 sub. Do you think the Sony 4es will match with them well? They work well with my current receiver (str945) which is going in the bedroom for my wife. She thinks I play my music and movies too loud in the living room so I'm going to make her own home theater in the bedroom. She's going to buy me the 4es or the 3802 which ever one I decide on for an early x'mas gift. Although it will cost me to build her a walk way from the front of our house to the the front door and do a little bit of painting in the dining room and spare bedroom. Do you guys think it's worth it? Anyway, feel free to send me some comments and suggestions. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • paulbakerjr
    paulbakerjr Posts: 1
    edited October 2002
    Que Paso Nico?
    Good luck in your quest for a new receiver. The ES models are pretty good. Haven't have much experiences with either Denon or Sony. I did'nt have any with Onkyo brand until I purchased the 797 model. After some tweeking, I'm very pleased with it.

Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M
    400 disc changer
    Onkyo TX-DS797
    Kenwood 2 channel amp 260w
    Sony 32" trinitron
    CS400I center channel
    AR1212 Subwoofer
    RTI70 fronts