Home Theater Receivers

Options
DonEmmel
DonEmmel Posts: 2
edited November 2002 in Electronics
All,
I am currently using a Sony STR-DE875 to power my Polk speakers. I have the CS245i Center, RT55i Fronts, RT35i Rears and a PSW-450 sub. I have heard that Polk speakers don't seem to work well with Sony amps. Any truth to that? Who makes a quality home theater receiver that works well with Polk speakers?

Don
Post edited by DonEmmel on

Comments

• LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Denon and Onkyo work with polk very well....so I'm told.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    Options
    HK, Yamaha, Marantz to name a few more!

KING YAMAHA
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2002
    Options
    maybe it's just the sony amps that don't work. ;)(sorry, not a sony fan here...)

i am running a denon 3801 and i think it mates very well with my polks. all the above mentioned recs. are good suggestions. get out there and demo some, listen to what YOU like, that's what matters.

have fun and welcome to the forum...:D

keep us updated in your search, if you decide to find a new rec.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    If you do like Sony receivers there is really only one line to consider,
    Its the ES line.The 3 and 5 ES receivers are very warm and clean sounding.Got good Dynamic power as well, I',m not a Sony receiver fan as I find alot I don't care for with them, but for sound quality alone, they can be Impressive.

Remember these few words I post(as other's do as well)Listen, your ears don't lie,they like what they like, you can try to like others that you think you like but in the end or at the end of the day,your ears will deside for you.Answers await you.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jpepster
    jpepster Posts: 12
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Today i purchased a yamaha rxv430. It does not sound well with my rt 40's.and center 175.
    NO subwoofer or rears. My old sony that is not 5.1 sounds better then the yamaha. Onlything is i can't hook up my center with the sony. But the Yamaha might go back tomorrow. I put it in all the field modes and i don't like the sound.
    More bass with the Sony. Oh well!
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX and the sound is fantastic.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • CapnWacky
    CapnWacky Posts: 2
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I would highly recommend HK - AVR 125, 225, 325 etc.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I went from a Sony DPL (model forgotten) to a JVC RXV-9010VBK. My Polks are much happier and sound much better.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • haroo
    haroo Posts: 83
    edited June 2002
    Options
    :D "sweeeeeet"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
    electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
    -kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
    -toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
    -sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
    -nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
    -toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
    -motorola digital cable box
    -RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
    -polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
    -polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
    -polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
    -polk r10 x 2 (rears)
    -polk pws250 (powered sub)
    -2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
    -Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
    -Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
    -Dual 601
    -D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
    -sony (ps1)
    -sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
    "marantz haroo"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Its no easy task to find the right receiver.1st and formost id sound quality,then features.Sometimes this doesn't go hand and hand.
    I'm in sort of the same boat as you needing a new receiver.I'm in a crossroads where there are 3 in my view.
    1)the B&K avr307 soon to be 507.I love the current Receiver but waiting for the new one.Pioneer Elite vsx49tx,killer sounding and loade with features.then there's the Rotel which I feel sounds amazing,but lacks in features that I would want,like powered 7.1.They don't supply you with amps for 7.1, you need to purchase a 2 channel external amp.That kinda sucks.With that in mind ,no Powered 2nd zone, not really Important when I move but I use it today.It also has a lack of Imputs,still enough for what I'm going to do with it but no room for more gear down the road.The sound quality keeps it in my sights.
    Good luck dude,get your demo on and experience receiver world of pain.
    Dan
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I started with a Sony DE 575 (I think). Then, upgraded to a Marantz SR5000. The difference, night and day. Just added (last week) 3 Adcoms using the pre-outs on the Marantz for the mains and center, bi-amped, the difference, night and day over the Marantz.

Stay away from Sony unless you go with their ES line, the DE and DB are turds.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2002
    Options
    SONY SUCKS!!!!!!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited June 2002
    Options
    HK125, 225,325...What? Is there an HK325? I thaught it was still the 320. info please!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    Options
    No 325 or 525 yet. Keep an eye out for em though.
  • fort
    fort Posts: 39
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Denon or Onkyo...

setup: Onkyo TX-SR600, cs245i x2, rt35i x2, rt25i x2, HSU-VTF2
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Denon or Onkyo...
    I agree, my picks--awesome recievers for the $.:cool:
  • jpepster
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I currently am looking at the denon 1602 for 100 more then the yamaha rxv430. I hear it is alittle more powerful. I will see.
  • Drowning_Fish
    Drowning_Fish Posts: 4
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Yeah I'm new to all this hehehe I have a pair of Polk Audio RT1000i's...fantastic, except for the fact that I only have an old Akai stereo amplifier (35W x 2). No where near enough juice ;)

I am looking to buy either an Onkyo TXDS494 (100W per channel), a Pioneer VSX-D510 (100W per channel) or something similar. I gave up on the Denon AVR-1802 because it cost alot more and only had 80W per channel.

Anyone out there had any experience with any of the above mentioned models? Any recommendations/suggestions or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Comeon, help out the newbie :D
    On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I wouldn't discount the Denon....80wpc will drive your 1000's quite nicely....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Drowning_Fish
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hmmm I might consider a Denon AVR-1602 (70W per channel)..as the 1802 is beyond my price range. I am only 18 years old here hehehe :D

I am really favouring the Onkyo at the moment. I have to buy one of them before the end of the month, so I don't have much time.

anyways..bed time..its 4.30am here. I hope there'll be lots more replies when I wake up.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I went from a sony reciever to the Onkyo 797. The difference was awsome and dramatic. I have had the Oink for about 6 months now and am still amazed by the flexibility of the unit. The THX mode and Dolby 2 are awsome for movies. If you shop around you can find the unit for around $850. Lists for over a grand. Cheapest online is around $999. You definately should audition for yourself, but make sure you are listening and comparing with similar speakers hooked up, dealers like to hook better speakers up to their most expensive units, and you don't end up compareing apples to apples.
    Peace. Stuff MD :u )
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • jpepster
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I am looking at the Denon 1802 myself. I just have r40's for main and i175 for center. I currently have the yamaha rxv430. I need alittle more time with this receiver before i decide to return it. The denon1802 has more power then the yamaha
    and the denon 1602. Well $499.00 is alot for me too! But i will consider that model. There are cheaper then that online, but not a denon authorized seller.
  • Drowning_Fish
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Just something I forgot to mention...My room is 6x6x3 metres, so I looking for a HTR with a little more power simply because my room is very large.

For all your americans (I am in Australia) my room is roughly 19.7x19.7x9.8 feet.

Also I am looking not to spend more than AU$900 (which today is equal to US$512).

Oh yeah..today I found an older (but still good) Yamaha RXV620 (90W per channel). I guess I am simply looking for advice on which brand(s) I should be looking at. I don't want something that's gonna break or just not be upto scratch.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Drowning fish,

I'm a big Onkyo fan, I've owned three of them, and loved every one. For your 512 American dollars, I would take a step up from the 494 (It's been discontinued anyways) and go for the new SR600. Lots of clean power and well built.

PS, you're not the only one on the forum that's 18

GuitarheadCA

Monster Power 3500
    Onkyo TXDS898
    Onkyo S555
    Onkyo C370
    Polk RTi70s
    Polk RTi38s
    Polk CSi40
    Polk PSW550
  • robpass
    robpass Posts: 5
    edited June 2002
    Options
    hey drowning fish.. same problem! I'm 19, in oz, and just bought RT1000i mains. I've got an old yamaha CR 640 amp - (anyone date back that old?!) It lacks grunt, and has clicks and pops sometimes on one channel. But it makes me cringe to think what its going to do to the speaker!

Considering onkyo, denon, etc. and NAD. I'm told NAD is quite a good brand when going for the 'no bells and whistles' models - very basic and quality designs.. But they're $$ expensive! Yamaha I like, tho they seem to be too focussed on all the extras. I want grunt. 120W per channel with a dynamic sound. Only care about 2 channel at this stage. And the budgets the same - about US$450, or ~ $800 Australian.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Iv'e got RT1000's in front, a CS245i center, with FX300i's in the
    rear. Power from a Sony STR-DB1070. 100w/6. If you're looking for
    a nice receiver at a reasonable price try this . The 1070 is
    not a high-end receiver, but it offers a lot of value for the money. I
    looked at Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and HK. Just couldn't justify the
    extra $100-$400. Nothing wrong with a Sony....
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • jpepster
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I'm considering either the denon 1802 or yamaha rxv630. Same price, but the yama has 6 channel.
    I have not heard the denon yet, but the yamaha. It is all about opinion. I have the 430 yamaha which is too
    low end and i have to turn it up to listen to my r 40's. so i will go with middle line receiver. Don't know as too choice yet.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I will give a vote for Denon,
    for the money you want to spend ,Denon won't steer you wrong, they make a solid nice sounding receiver.Denon and Polk speaker go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    I liked it for over a year now,I own the 3801.I have rt series all the way around.
    Dan
  • jpepster
    edited June 2002
    Options
    It seems that Denon and Yamaha are great products. Most salesman here say choice the Yamaha over denon.
    Today i went with denon 1802. I will hook it up later. I'm sure i can tell the difference i hope from the yamaha 430 i returned.
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I Love my 1802. It does a lot for an entry level AV receiver. In fact, I like it so much, I've been seriously considering upgrading to the 3802.

However, the 1802 is plenty receiver at this point for my 18x20 room
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"