Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    Options
    Judging by the (pseudo) "vents" behind the front wheels, I reckon it's one or the other.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    (also seen @ ASR)

gg7z0zyx01tm.png

man, I'd love to have a Taco like that one! I miss mine nearly as much as I miss my '74 Bronco. :/

53171147567_9ef68b0675_b.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Since we've learned that @Viking64 is a connoisseur of vintage auto ads -- ripped straight from today's email inbox B), here's a CC topic for you.

rffyjk63tp3m.png

source: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/vintage-ads-and-brochures/vintage-ad-tropes-nighttime/#more-487081

Night time is the right time...

https://youtu.be/x21B-TqOk7I?si=yAIY-xiG6ZdpwqgR
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    The Eagles shared a tribute to Jimmy Buffett during their opening night concert at Madison Square Garden.

euebnca511kq.png

Those itching for air guitar moments would soon receive their wish. But first, Henley shushed the crowd to say a few words about his “dear friend” Buffett. Don Henley reminded the crowd Bassist Timothy Schmit was a onetime member of Buffett’s Coral Reefer Band and coined the fandom term “Parrotheads”.

“He’s now sailing on that cosmic ocean and having that cheeseburger with Glenn and Randy,” Henley said. “Jimmy made work look like play. He brought joy to everything he did and one of his final wishes was we keep the party going.”

Schmit offered a dreamy take on the sublime “Come Monday” while Walsh donned a parrot hat to lead the audience through a singalong of “Fins.” The well-intentioned dedication was bittersweet as a glance around the venue of people making the overhead “fins” motion underscored the reality that we’ll never see Buffett lead that chorus again..

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,707
    edited September 2023
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Since we've learned that Viking64 is a connoisseur of vintage auto ads -- ripped straight from today's email inbox B), here's a CC topic for you.

rffyjk63tp3m.png

I just ordered another batch last . . . . NIGHT! :p

350wmzu8g13t.jpg

xdu8px2wh170.jpg

06hdismftbyx.jpg

pai3y7aq7423.png

xjseu9vnen8a.jpg

pooehm4eqyuc.png

gis7rca5jadn.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    I couldn't imagine waxing those 20yrd vehicles with the paste wax they had back then. Jesus it would take the whole week and 6 sets of arms.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine waxing those 20yrd vehicles with the paste wax they had back then. Jesus it would take the whole week and 6 sets of arms.

the pace of life was slower then. ;)

My parents had a '57 Plymouth convertible when I was very young. It was an utter piece of junk, whose life was nasty brutish, and short.
    When I was in college, my parents bought a 1981 Plymouth Reliant. It, too, was an utter piece of junk, with a life that was nasty, brutish, and short.
    I am sure that was just a coincidence. ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,505
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    wq4fshqxzi3y.png
    haha, that's just the wrapper. The inside is chocolate.

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,505
    Options
    Does not make me wonder whether Japan outsourced to China the power steering pump reservoir cap on earlier Toyota trucks...

This is consistent for both 80s Toyota trucks I had. The 4wd one is still around waiting for me to get old and retired and to have unlimited funds for resto.
    mflaeazvbc0o.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Does not make me wonder whether Japan outsourced to China the power steering pump reservoir cap on earlier Toyota trucks...

This is consistent for both 80s Toyota trucks I had. The 4wd one is still around waiting for me to get old and retired and to have unlimited funds for resto.
    mflaeazvbc0o.png

Funny you should go there... B)
    In case you didn't know it, the founder of what we know as Toyota was... wait for it...
    Kiichiro Toyoda (1894-1952)

59a1tl1fmc09.png

https://toyotatimes.jp/en/series/racing_car_restoration/050.html

Now, with a wee bit of chagrin, I turn to good ol' wiki-p for the rest of the story. :p
    Toyota Motor Co. was established as an independent and separate company in 1937. Although the founding family's name was written in the Kanji "豊田" (rendered as "Toyoda"), the company name was changed to a similar word in katakana - トヨタ (rendered as "Toyota") because the latter has 8 strokes which is regarded as a lucky number in East Asian culture. Since Kanji are essentially Chinese characters, in Chinese speaking markets, the company and its vehicles are still referred to by the original Kanji name (simplified Chinese: 丰田; traditional Chinese: 豐田; pinyin: fēng tián), but with Chinese pronunciation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Toyota

:D

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2023
    Options
    My high school buddy George's '74 Hilux long bed pickup proudly bore the old katakana Toyota logo here and there:

ai0ds95itqrv.png

27786732377_5832e9e58f_c.jpg

Some of us were early adopters of trucks... B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Oh.
    And all y'all know about that other Japanese car company -- the one that descended from a company known as and for a car called DAT. Right?

j79qi83rukvi.png
    [DAT]... stands for the names Kenjiro Den, Rokuro Aoyama, and Meitaro Takeuchi, who founded the predecessor company Kwaishinsha Car Works in 1911 and produced the first automobile developed entirely in Japan, the DAT-go in 1912

In the Japanese dialect, “dat” also means a bunny, which is why a bunny has adorned the radiator and logos of the first models.
    From 1925 the company was called DAT Motorcar Co., which initially only produced commercial vehicles before DAT presented its first passenger car in 1931, the Datson - "son of the Dat".

In 1933 Nissan took over the Datson company and finally introduced the brand name Datsun. The Japanese were already working with Austin and BMC in the 1930s, and in 1958 the American market was introduced. Datsun started producing in Mexico in 1966 and entered the European market at the end of the 1960s...

https://coverking.com/blogs/blog/the-datsun-story

Good day!
    :)

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2023
    Options
    oh.
    and...
    The guy who (with his son) smuggled Carlos Ghosn out of Japan was one of our neighbors in Massachusetts.

:#

https://nypost.com/2023/08/18/we-stuffed-carlos-ghosn-into-3-ft-box-to-escape-japan-he-owes-us-1m/

OK, that's enough from me. :blush:

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    ^^^ THIS......this is exactly why I don't have 8 wives. 6 is hard enough to keep track of....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ^^^ THIS......this is exactly why I don't have 8 wives. 6 is hard enough to keep track of....

Tom

7 would therefore be nice, one for each day.

🤔
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options

Tom

🤔

7 days a week? At your age?! You must have a pretty big stock pile of blue pills 😉
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Tom

🤔

7 days a week? At your age?! You must have a pretty big stock pile of blue pills 😉

Hey you horndog, sometimes it's just nice to cuddle.

No blue pills needed here my man!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Saw a story this morning that reminded me of a place that I absolutely love from its historical nature. It's been a few years since I was last there, but its history stands tall. If you are in Boston, its well worth a visit.

satsj4aq369l.png
    (Recent picture during storm about 2015)

TasteAtlas, which bills itself as an "encyclopedia of flavors, a world atlas of traditional dishes, local ingredients, and authentic restaurants", just named the famous Union Oyster House in Boston, Massachusetts one of the most legendary restaurants in the entire world.

The Union Oyster House is one of the most famous and oldest restaurants in the country still in operation to this day. Doors have been open to dinners since 1826. Originally opened as an eatery named Atwood and Bacon owners installed the iconic semi-circle bar which still stands today. The horseshoe-shaped counter is made from the reclaimed wood of the USS Constitution, a legendary warship known as "Old Ironsides."

It was at the Oyster Bar that Daniel Webster, a constant customer, daily drank his tall tumbler of brandy and water with each half-dozen oysters, seldom having less than six plates.

42z4xnu2p21c.png

Union Street was laid out in 1636, two years after the Boston Common was established, but there are no municipal records documenting the Oyster House's date of construction. All that is known is that the building has stood on Union Street as a major local landmark for more than 250 years.

up2v2rvgyg7m.png

Finally, there is an interesting connection to music. During his visit, Luciano Pavarotti discovered that the group sitting next to his booth were celebrating a birthday, and the renowned singer gave an impromptu happy birthday.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    1986 Toyota land cruiser $15,000. I love Toyota's too.

pp56wrrplbr5.png

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I mean, I've seen the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile in the flesh (or... whatever), but this is a new one to me...

53016004741_4000f04881_b.jpg1963 Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Promotional Car by Vinnie DeVille, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, and speaking of Vipers...

53172393213_819c1abf82_b.jpgClever Viper Display by sHuTtEr nUt, on Flickr
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    iy698w4unrlq.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM