Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,687
    Options
    I had Night Fever and Dr. B. Gee cured me.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,687
    Options
    The end of the year party in June 1941? Je dis merdeduvache!!!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,600
    Options
    dnw499pax7fh.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

C'est foutu alors!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

C'est foutu alors!

ds34m3kffjw4.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    lht0r4l9ninq.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    kv2u8ddgecgd.jpeg
    Brian

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    oxuerirdlxd4.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Has anyone on Polk ever heard of the Goat Man?
    Someone posted a picture of him on FB this week. I had forgotten about him. He was a product of the Depression. When I was in high school which was on US Highway 27, he would travel on Highway 27 on his way from Iowa to Florida and then return. Here is the FB pic:

h1jiz9e34xw7.png

The Goat Man, Ches McCartney, went "viral" as a Southern folk character the old-fashioned way. For decades, he traveled by goat drawn wagon from his home state of Iowa to Georgia, to Florida, where he spent the winter months.

McCartney began his nomadic lifestyle in the 1930s after the Depression forced him off his farm. The goats he used to plow his fields, after losing his horses, became his companions. His wooden wagon, piled high with chairs, tires, license plates, and other junk, was hard to miss. The dozen to 30 goats, that accompanied him at any given time, let the ears and the noses of the townspeople know that The Goat Man had arrived, long before their eyes did.

Everyone interviewed or that has shared memories over the years has something to say about the distinct smell of the man that walked by day and slept with goats by night. “[The goats] don’t care how I smell or how I look,” McCartney later wrote. “They trust me and have faith in me, and this is more than I can say about a lot of people.”

As described in his obituary in The New York Times, "Mr. McCartney, who averaged seven miles a day and had a regular route between Iowa and Georgia, spent most of this time creating traffic jams throughout the South, primarily along the old Dixie Highway running through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida."

Schools emptied their classrooms and families packed up into their cars when news that The Goat Man had reached their town. Part colorful storyteller and preacher, he was a hit with the crowds. Although his caravan was such a spectacle, he probably didn't have to say a thing. McCartney survived on goat milk and donations from the curious onlookers. He sold junk and charged for photos and later postcards and prints. The goats, of course, would eat just about anything so they were low maintenance.

Busier highways and crime retired McCartney from the road in 1969. He lived in a small home for some time, but after it burned in 1978, he and his son, Gene, moved into a converted school bus parked near Jeffersonville, Georgia.

A true legend or tall tale, McCartney's life was much more than a simple existence as a wanderer. Sometimes the truth is hard to separate from other exaggerated elements. At other times, the truth really is stranger than fiction.

McCartney left his home at 14 and ran away to New York City and met a Spanish knife thrower. Although she was 10 years older, they paired up and his entrepreneurial spirit led him to be the target of her act. They raked in money at taverns. Later, he bought a farm in Iowa, remarried with a wife and a son, who actually traveled with McCartney for a short time, but The Goat Man life wasn't for her.

There were two other wives and an uncertain number of children along the way. Even his birthdate is hard to pin down. When he passed in 1998, some reports say he was 97 and others say he was 103. It is reported that he traveled to all the states but Hawaii. He made an appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and shook the hand of Presidents. Although there is no record to back up the claim that he spent the night as a guest of Jimmy Carter at The White House. It is said that he influenced the writing of Flannery O'Conner.

There was also much tragedy. He reported having a son, missing in action in Vietnam. The only reports of him being angry were in discussions about war and politics. The assault in the late 60s left him with broken ribs and 8 dead goats, led to his retirement, but it wasn't the first such event in his life on the road. In 1985, he set off on foot to California in hopes of meeting the actress Morgan Fairchild. Reported missing by friends, he finally turned up in a California hospital. He was mugged along the way. Flown home by friends, his traveling days were finally over. He spent his later years as a local celebrity in a Macon, Georgia nursing home, and passed away in November of 1998. Earlier in 1998, his son Gene was found shot at their converted schoolbus home and that murder is still a cold case.

The eccentric life of Ches McCartney inspired books, documentaries, art, and music. Artist Larry K. Martin is well known for his prints including the cover art of America's Goat Man written by Darryl Patton. There is a Facebook group devoted to sharing stories, memories, and pictures. You can hear more details about this legend in the song below "The Goat Man" by Chuck Brodsky on YouTube.

https://georgia.growingamerica.com/features/2020/02/goat-man-myths-legend

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    We were at a gathering today at lunch time at one of the two town VFD stations.
    This was served.
    Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

52650465092_13e401d06f_b.jpg

I realize this is probably a very kind gesture on A-B's part when water is needed after a disaster (large or small), but my immediate reaction was "well, it looks like Truth in Advertising caught up with the makers of Bud Light". :#

• bcwsrt
    Options
    That light or full-bodied?
    Brian

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Made with genuine water from the cooling towers at Three-Mile Island….

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    edited January 2023
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    We were at a gathering today at lunch time at one of the two town VFD stations.
    This was served.
    Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

52650465092_13e401d06f_b.jpg

I realize this is probably a very kind gesture on A-B's part when water is needed after a disaster (large or small), but my immediate reaction was "well, it looks like Truth in Advertising caught up with the makers of Bud Light". :#

Holy crap that brings back memories....
    We were in Miami for 3 months in 92 for the Hurricane Andrew restoration. Anheuser would come in at designated ares and unload dump trucks after dump trucks of this water.
    There were lines for over a mile of people coming to get water.

They were dumping six packs of these. We thought it was cool to grab a six pack as a souvenir of our time there.
    Had a six pack for decades until the aluminum gave way and started leaking.
    They weren't as elaborate as those, just big letters saying WATER along with their logo. They were just black & white.

Lineman for Florida Power & Light many moons ago....
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Bahahahaaaaaa...
    Just got the water reference while reading it to my wife 😂
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Many of us have been drinking Anheuser-Busch water since we were teenagers*, but it was labeled differently. B)

wmrvxrmryg68.png

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Many years ago, in a past life, I worked for a British company.
    In those days, I was in the UK regularly. One day, I was killing time at the local Tesco supermarket (quite a large one, we were essentially in the suburbs of Oxford). I was looking through the canned and bottled beers, and I was rather surprised to find real Czech Budweiser (as opposed to the A-B stuff). I hadn't even known about it until then (ca. 1995).

wfaadt5l7nss.png

• bcwsrt
    Options
    Oh, man, that's great! I helped start up our Czech subsidiary from 2007-2014. My first trip over there, the GM said, "Meet me in Old Town Square (Prague) under the Budweiser umbrellas." I was like, WTF?! Hahaha!!
    Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Made with genuine water from the cooling towers at Three-Mile Island….

Naaa they use the effluent from the Monsanto plant upstream.....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    That "Bud" is so successful is proof in the power of advertising because it tastes like sewer water smells.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I can imagine the ad campaign (or maybe they're PSAs)...
    When disaster strikes -- kick back and pop open something from your friends at Anheuser-Busch!
    Don't forget to tread water responsibly.
    :#:(
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    In all fairness, it makes excellent slug bait in the garden
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    And a headache in every can.