Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited May 2017
    Options
    works for me, either way :)

34518088516_0417eb7ac2_b.jpgDSC_7862 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Another not great photo, but at least the sun was - briefly - out when I took this one. The blurriness is sue to taking the photo through a window at a very oblique angle.

• mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ^^^ a very poignant short story. :)

meanwhile, in Northern New England...

we might not live in the most beautiful place on Earth...
    but it's effing close...

ys9puvbmz0i7.jpg
    tg5232il4xd9.jpg

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Great pics Mark, but I could swear I've seen that house before. I think it was in one of those B movies about the end of civilization where the last survivors make their last stand against the Zombie apocalypse. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,278
    Options
    ^^^Well, that's my plan.

Just curious Mr. H: We don't have scarlet tanagers around here, but we do have their what-might-be cousins, cardinals. Cardinals have the position of Kings of the Birdfeeders. At the bottom of the pecking order are chippies, sparrows, etc. Blackbirds will land and chase them off until bluejays land and chase them off. The birdfeeder can be loaded with jays, but let one lone male cardinal land and the bluejays take off like they're shot out of a cannon.
    Cardinals aren't aggressive and we've talked about the reason why they rule the roost. We wonder if it's their red coloring (in the males) that make other birds think they're .... zombies or something ?
    Just curious if those scarlet tanagers have the same position in the hierarchy.

Nice pics, btw. And after the apocalypse, will refreshments be provided ?
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Great pics Mark, but I could swear I've seen that house before. I think it was in one of those B movies about the end of civilization where the last survivors make their last stand against the Zombie apocalypse. :)

Our biggest problem here is the bear apocalypse :(
    Danged blighter pulled down a couple of feeder poles last night -- no feeders nor food on or near them... but he/she knows that there could be.

Effing bears.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    @DrH---But they are so cute and cuddly

@Tonyb---Amityville???? In jest of course

Doc you have quite the spread with a taste of everything and you are blessed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^Well, that's my plan.

Just curious Mr. H: We don't have scarlet tanagers around here, but we do have their what-might-be cousins, cardinals. Cardinals have the position of Kings of the Birdfeeders. At the bottom of the pecking order are chippies, sparrows, etc. Blackbirds will land and chase them off until bluejays land and chase them off. The birdfeeder can be loaded with jays, but let one lone male cardinal land and the bluejays take off like they're shot out of a cannon.
    Cardinals aren't aggressive and we've talked about the reason why they rule the roost. We wonder if it's their red coloring (in the males) that make other birds think they're .... zombies or something ?
    Just curious if those scarlet tanagers have the same position in the hierarchy.

Nice pics, btw. And after the apocalypse, will refreshments be provided ?

Interesting question -- cardinals do have the reputation of being timid (except with each other during breeding season). Short answer: I dunno. Mrs. H didn't have any insight, either(?!).

Given the males' bright red coloring, they must not taste very good to would-be predators ;)

We tend to get a lot of cardinals here, especially in the winter.
    Interestingly, 30 years ago there were no cardinals this far north.

v0wom9huuc89.jpg

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    At my bird-feeder the Jays are definitely the aggressive ones and the Cardinals get out of the way. The Jays are also noticeably larger.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    down by the lake today

vHyXP7i.jpg?1
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Going to hit the sack, but tomorrow evening I should have it up and running.

cdmfg95y9x1c.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    sexy....good night

And wasn't talking about your sack :s:s
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    fsh31hu5g5uw.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    mhardy6647,

I really enjoy all of your photos of the wildlife, especially the birds. Do you live in Canada or just south of the border?

Harry Jones
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    We're roughly 2 hours south of Canada by car, in New Hampsha
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Kid genius brothers, 11 and 14, graduate from high school and college this weekend

9uzzb64iuux7.jpg

Claretta Kimp wants you to understand this:

Yes, she gave birth to two child prodigies, and yes, they're graduating from high school and college this weekend at ages 11 and 14, respectively. Carson, her oldest, is leaving Texas Christian University with a degree in physics and minors in Chinese and math. Cannan, the kid brother, will head to TCU next fall to study astrophysics and engineering. The first wants to get a PhD, the other wants to be an astronaut.

Four years ago, at age 10, Carson was admitted to TCU in Fort Worth and he began classes as an 11-year-old. On Saturday, he'll become the youngest graduate in the university's history.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/kid-genius-brothers-and-graduate-from-high-school-and-college-this-weekend/gc21qWmsrE3w61cfQe1YdI/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    My youngest daughter made Teacher of the Year at her high school. Very proud papa.

pwwva2fb00oq.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    @voltz, captured by neighbor kid's drone early this afternoon.
    Details are sketchy, something about a cold solder joint and cheap wire?

t9r61l8c6aw4.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Doc! Holy Moly! That is GORGEOUS!!!
    Like the way you let the sun(rise?) light up the tips of the trees.
    Love the warm tones...
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    meanwhile, in Northern New England...
    we might not live in the most beautiful place on Earth...
    but it's effing close...
    e6l9zr1sygsu.jpg
    cl2pkbgn567d.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    @voltz, captured by neighbor kid's drone early this afternoon.
    Details are sketchy, something about a cold solder joint and cheap wire?

t9r61l8c6aw4.jpg

Okay so that is how I lost most of my hair.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    @mhardy6647

I blame you for the 200+ dollars we just spent on bird food and other bird related supplies lol.

Humming birds, finches, blujays and butterflies here we come :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    @mhardy6647

I blame you for the 200+ dollars we just spent on bird food and other bird related supplies lol.

You forgot the birdshitte

• EndersShadow
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

You forgot the birdshitte

Eh I got 3 dogs... its all the same lol.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @mhardy6647

Your handywork... This JUST the backyard.. we have two more in the front lol.

4 regular feeders, a finch feeder (drying from its yearly cleaning), one tray for Blue Jays (my request), Hummingbird feeder, and a butterfly feeder.

We have one more to buy and hang off the shed but we may just do suet loaves...

Out front we have a tray of mealworms and another regular feeder.

We bought a 25 bag of seed and it ONLY filled the backyard once lol....

Gonna have to have stuff sent by the truckload as I promise 90% of it will be gone by tomorrow afternoon.

Any tips on attracting hummingbirds, Blue jays or finches appreciated.

Butterfly

iwi3o7x6kqu5.jpg

Hummingbirg

7q3vq4uxex5n.jpg

Regular and Finch in main part of yard

37zbtzz2v0sk.jpg2vdmfcvypvvq.jpg
    vhswsdk0aqi6.jpg

Blue Jay

fz3fj6fdain7.jpg

Regular by shed

0le9jt1xnd4b.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yup, all of that looks good. We go through a lot of $eed, too, 'specially in the wintertime.

Your hummer feeder will attract hummingbirds; they're pretty amazing -- they find the feeders. They really don't need any other prompting, as far as I can tell.
    14901506715_7da0727e34_b.jpgDSC_2242 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Only one species east of the Mississippi; numerous species in the Western US, though.

Our first ones for the year showed up here about a week ago. There are essentially no flowers blooming at our house when they show up(!).
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Blue Jays will eat pretty much anything :)

Finches of all types will eat the usual seeds, too -- one thing all finches (gold, purple, house, etc.) enjoy and appreciate is so-called "thistle seed" (the commercial product is actually a seed called niger or nyjer, which is like thistle seed but won't grow thistles all over your yard!). Thistle seed and a thistle feeder is a good add-on for finches.

We feed mostly an admixture of black oil sunflower seed and hulled sunflower seed in our other feeders. The latter is nice in that it leaves no mess, but it can get gunky in feeders (especially in wet weather) and is pretty expensive.

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Yeah we have a 4 lb bag of thistle for the finch feeder once it dries. We were also told Blue jays ESPECIALY love whole peanuts for some reason lol. No idea why but we will see.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    They do like peanuts -- although... so do squirrels :neutral:

Maybe we should start a 'for the birds' thread? ;)
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Say what????

**** Ward, Town of Rideau Lakes (Ontario)
    Buttertubs Drive, Nanaimo (British Columbia)
    Dingle Bingle Hill Terrace, Nanaimo (British Columbia)
    Jingle Pot Road, Nanaimo (British Columbia)
    Ragged **** Road, Yellowknife (North West Territories)
    Rue Schmuck, Shefford (Quebec)
    Merrymeeting Road, St. ...
    Quidi Vidi Road, St.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/street-names-in-canada-are-weird-and-thats-ok?utm_term=.duQ25DOm1#.xlEL2G9VZ

https://youtu.be/ZcuwBW3t-ow