i need help !

Comments

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    true and i want good sound cause what i used to listening to is two polk audio signature seris sda-srs home audio speakers, that is what music should sound like to me. clear crisp, blistering highs, good strong mids and earthshaking lows.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    id say im willing to spend about 400 or less, im going to have to save money for them little by little i figure 50 dollars a weak. good things come to those who wait for it.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    I just told you why I don't think it's a good idea...

I actually had some amps fry on me due to this when I was in high school. I thought I had spliced the wires and taped them right, but the smoke in my trunk proved me wrong.

How much tape do you have on the wires? Is the tape equivilant to the amount of insulation that the power wire has?

I work in the medical field and there are many people who do not use eye protection in surgery, never have. They have been lucky enough not to get anything. I always wear eye protection to avoid blood splatter in my eyes. There have been plenty of times after a case where I see specks of blood on my goggles (meaning this blood would have been in my eyes without the goggles), this has happened with patients infected with both HIV, and Hepatitis-C. Even some with necrotizing fasciatis. I just do not like to take chances when it is so easy to go the safe route. I apply this to many of the things I do, including car audio. I just think it's safer to use proper power connecting equipment, but that's just me bro.

About the MMC690's, I know this is a Polk forum, but let's be open to other things that are out there.....

Splicing power wires together (if done properly) will not fry an amp, that would happen only from a power surge that would come further upstream from the splice and wouldve fried your amps even with the distribution block in place. If nothing else you would actually lose a little voltage from the splice and send a weaker signal to the amps.

Splicing wires together and taping them up is not a safety issue, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it that way as long as its done properly. Now if you use duct tape or something like that, then that is a safety issue! Electrical tape will melt around the wire just like insulation, but duct tape can catch on fire!

I also think that the connection from properly splicing 2 wires together will be stronger than with a distribution block. Take 2 sets of wire and strip 6" off the end of each and twist them together and then slap an **** load of tape around em and then try to pull em apart. Now try to pull the wire out of your dist block. Now while you cant suspend a car from the spliced wires, its going to be a pretty solid connection and in no danger or arcing or sparking or coming loose.

Again, Im not saying splicing is better than a dist block, just that there is nothing wrong with doing it that way so long as youre doing it right.

And yes, this is a Polk forum and I am open to other things. Ive owned and heard several different coaxial speakers and I think te 690's are the best. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    Power wire to ground is not a good thing and that is what happened in my setup. I was pretty green back then, and thoght my electrical tape job was good. I guess hauling stuff around must have put a hole through my taped connections or something, could not tell as it was pretty messy aftewards.

I will stick to the disrto block.

Also maybe the best you've heard, just not the best period ;)........
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    I agree with that. If youre doing a tape job you have to make sure youve taped the hell out of it, there are not parts of bare wire exposed and there is nothing nearby that it will rub against and possibly strip the insulation or tape off. Again, Im not opposed to a dist block, hell Ill probably get one one day just for the sake of adding something new. But for right now, I dont really have a good place to stick one so its the ghetto for me!

Well, let me rephrase, for my musical tastes and the way I like a speaker to sound, the MMC690 is the best coaxial out there. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    i think id use a distro block to be on the safe side.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    on my truck, i lost half of my 1/0 awg fuse holder so i had 2 4awg wires coming out with 2 4awg fuse holders, then taped them up to my 1/0...never had a problem...but def. not something I would leave there for an extended period of time.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    right. i want the arc audio but the only place that sells it is 100 miles away from me, is there ne good companies online that sell it.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    I don't think there are any authorized online dealers for Arc Audio. I'd probably make the trip after I'd made up my mind about what I wanted and how much the store charged for it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    thats just a long way to go for an amp is all maybe i can contact the store and have them ship it to me.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    98thumpin wrote:
    right. i want the arc audio but the only place that sells it is 100 miles away from me, is there ne good companies online that sell it.

Contact Arc Audio directly and see if there is something that they can do for you since you live so far away from an authorized dealer. This page actually says to email them if you can't find one near you.

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/usa-dealers.htm
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2006
    Gas there and back would probably cost about $25. I'm not sure what shipping would cost on an amp. I also don't know if they'd let you send a MO or something instead of showing up with cash.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    ill give contacting arc audio a try, and ill call the dealer to see what they can do too. thanks for that issue.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    another question i know im full of them? right? ok where is a good place to mount a eQ/crossover combo?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2006
    Under a seat. Or if you have an extra slot in your dash, you could mount it there. Or you could just mount everything in your turnk, and make little insets on the sides of your trunk for everything.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    dash would look cool but if you dont have room you dont have room i have alrged face factory hu now the one im getting is a 1 din size, so i might could put it under the hu or let a pro figure it out for me. lol. i have a big floorspace in the fron of the car in the middle of the seat perhapes i couls make a small bos or have one made and mount the crossover eq there.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    would it be hard to tune it good with it in my trunk though. i agree i have a ton of trunk space where it could be mounted.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Most trunk mounted EQ's have a remote control that you can use from the drivers seat.

• 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    thats cool yeah ill trunk mount one.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    what is a good eq i was thinking one from audiocontrol or arc audio, and im going to amp my speaks so do i need a line driverl? also
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Im partial to Audiocontrol myself. Eventually Ill be grabbing a DQS for myself.

• 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    Both of those choices are very good choices. The Arc Audio EQ's have line driver's built in. I would think the same would be true for the Audiocontrol gear.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2006
    I'd say go with Audiocontrol or Arc Audio for an EQ. You could also look at Rockford Fosgate's new 360.1 abd 360.2. They look pretty awesome.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    cool what should i be looking for in a eq, i want to be able to send the lows to the sub and the mids to the drivers, and highs to thw tweets, clear, warm, sound deep rich bass.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    hint: punctuation and grammar is truly not that difficult

and what you're talking about would be a crossover... an eq changes the sound, an xover splits it into different bands... a crossover is useful only if you have the right amp setup.. e.g. i have 2 2-channel amps... one gets the mids and highs, one gets the lows... i'm also looking to move to a 3-way setup, where one pair of channels gets the lows, another gets the mids, and a third pair of channels gets the highs...

an eq splits the music into many bands, just like an xover, but in boosts or cuts those bands and then recombines them before outputting the modified signal. what you should look for in an eq is a high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR or S/N ratio of 100+)... the number of bands depends on how picky you are... 5 bands is easy to use, 7 a little less so, 13 even less so, 31 is quite difficult to use... the more bands, the better sound you can achieve at the end of the day, but the more patience you'll need to extract the best sound...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    so i guess i need a crossover and a eq
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited March 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    hint: punctuation and grammar is truly not that difficult

I think we have touched on that several times in this thread...

...This is not a message board full of 16yo kids.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    98 - yes, you do... usually, the HU includes an xover, so you generally don't need an external one unless 1) it's not variable enough for you (like me) or 2) your HU doesn't have enough preouts

HUs usually include an eq of some variety, too... mine has a 13-band, but i want 31 bands, so i need an external... depends on what you need and what you can productively use...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    im sorry my grammer is not perfect.
    im very picky about how my music sounds, and i like to be in total control of it. so id say a eq, would be a good choice for me.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    You would then love a HU like the one I have. I think the parametric EQ that it has gives me a lot of flexibility. If I run it in the 3-way active mode it will give me 5 bands for the mids, and 5 bands for the highs. I have it for 5 bands for the front and 5 for the rear right now. The five bands give me enough control to tame the peaks in my system.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin