i need help !

Comments

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    ok i see opinioins differ from person to person i guess if they blow ill just take them out.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    that would be closing the barn door after the horse has run, but i suppose - to use the same metaphor - i guess the horse might not be a flight risk...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    that was a good way of saying it i like you your originall
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    i have a cd changer in my trunk where the db212-2 and wil be going do i have to worry about my cub destroying the cdchanger or making it skip if so where would be a good place to relocate it i have a crown vic
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    audiobahn does not deserve to drive that db212-2... pbd will say differently, but he's spent a crazy amount of time making it work... go with one of the other rec's above...

I won't say differently.

I agree with you Neo.

While I feel Audiobahn's speakers have much more potential than their factory-setup-design lets them realize, I have, and will maintain my opinion that their amplifiers are worthless f****** ****.

I already was asked, "Why don't you use our amplifiers".

My answer was nothing short of, "Because they're scrapmetal."

I have and will continue to use MTX amplifiers as my #1 choice for most installs.

My personal amp preferences are as follows (based on personal experiences, some rebuilds, and observations of other owners)...

1- Mtx Blue Thunder Pro
    2- Mtx Thunder (the older as well as the newer ones).
    3- JBL GT series (the older white ones and the newer "See through" crown inspired ones).
    4- Orion HCCA (the old red andonized case models - pre DEI buyout).
    5- anything from PPI ... if you can still find one. (not the DEI-Precision Power of today).

all of the below take spot #5 equally

5a- Alpine V-Power (the older 2 channel high power models).
    5b- Xtant A Series and the new "Xtant" series.
    5c- Polk Audio C series amplifiers

6 - US amps (why so low on the list? because, while they put out gobs of power at a reasonable price, and are very very easy to work on [except the vacuum tube input models, with which I have no experience, but would be just plain scared to dick with], they have a high breakdown rate).

.... 15 ? lol... they're allright, so I have to mention them both... Profile California and Hifonics both make very inexpensive amplifiers that are both reliable and honestly rated. They're not show stoppers, but they're decent products that I respect and will confidently put in people's cars.

As far as $$$$ amplifiers... I have little to no experience with these, but from what I've heard / seen, they are quite nice...

- Zapco Reference and the class T series...
    - Tru-Technology's Copper and Hammer line
    - Soundstream's Tarantula and DaVinci amplifiers (also another company bought up by someone else -- I hatecorporate america).
    - ARC Audio

and -- dun dun dun -- my SHITLIST - This shitlist is based on a weighted scale... amplifiers are given "terd points" if they are vastly overpriced for their mediocre to average performance, fire hazards, breakdown risks, or just general flea market scrap.... I will not mention the obvious Legacy, Pyle, etc... as we all know that... but I'll pick some every day ones taht you may thing are "good stuff"...

1- Biggest Pile of **** award goes to the Bazooka P-Miller amplifiers
    2- Honorable Terd award goes to Baja Profile
    3- Jensen
    4- JVC - yes JVC made amps at one point!
    5- Audiovox (Urban Rat, Urban Audio, Prestige Audio, etc etc... SPARKO ****!)
    6- Pyramid ( nice DJ equipment -- sort of -- well its cheap --- terrible car stuff).
    7- Infinity Beta series (remember those white and teal / blue monstrosities?)
    8- Lightning Audio Bolt Series... (Lightning's Strike and Storm series gear is actually respected, from what I hear, in SPL competition circles... high power stuff --- they make some cool gear -- but a Storm amp is going to cost you a couple grand, so don't get your hopes up).
    9- Verge - courtesy of Circuit City
    10- Sony -- SONY SUCKS... they ahve lightbulbs inside their amps!!!! (they actually serve a purpose, but there are far better designs for such circuits).
    11- Audiobahn... all bling, no sing. More chrome than my old man's Cadillac, and worth less than ice cubes in Alaska. Shoddy build quality, overzealous designers focus on **** like "digital readouts" and "blue LED illumination" rather than component quality and an amplifier than integrates seamlessly into your audio system. tony the tiger says "theyyyy're scrap!"
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    i liked the list and jvc still makes amps now but who owns one no one i know of
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    do i need to worry about the bass from the sub messing up the cd changer in the trunk and will it skip if so how do i correct the problem?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    it should be fine... if it's not, you'll need to damp it somehow, if that doesn't cut it, you'll have to move it... don't worry bout it till it happens...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Im with Vinny on being all about MTX! It kills me how people poo poo MTX because they consider then a Circuit City amp. Not only do they nearly double their rated power cleanly but they are overbuilt to the point of absurdity which guarantees theyll be pretty much indestructible!

There are other amps that have these characteristics but will cost more.

I also am a big fan of Crossfire. Like MTX, they arent concerned with anything but making tons of clean power. They have pretty much no features but they probably exceed their ratings by a larger margin than any brand out there. They are also built extremely well. While not as tough as MTX, they aint far behind.

The only reason I went with Crossfire over MTX in my install is Crossfire is a little more rare and I liked that. Plus, Crossfire was always touted as a "bright and dirty amp and while very powerful were lousy for SQ because of their tinny sound". So I wanted to prove to all the dim bulbs that was a load of crap and so far its worked.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    thanks. and glad your proving them wrong. thats good. if everything goes right i should be acquiring this system this weekend, i cant wait. im hoping itll sound awesome, im wondering if theres a way to have cc install the amp in the middle of my rear seat i have one of those fold down arm rests would it be opk to put an amp there i leave the arm rest down all the time ne how, i just want to knda have it shown so i can show it off easy, imn stead of having it hidden in the trunk, ne ideas or suggestions on amp locations.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    you'll get your car stolen quicker than **** that way.

you can see my amp rack, subs, even door speakers from outside the truck, but the truck also gives off the aura of "if you touch me, my owner will cut your nuts off and nail them to a tree".
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    must be a kick **** truck, i love dodge trucks. always have always will. so best to leave it in the trunk. i just want easy access to it is all. well in my trunk i have a shelf where my spare tire is mounted to the amp will fit next to it but to get to it you almost have to sit in the trunk. can they mount it wherever i tell them in the trunk.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    you can put it wherever you want in the trunk... or even under a seat in the passenger compartment if there is room. the "shelf" you speak of is probably the best spot though.

doors --> http://spinellicreations.com:2501/2003/DSCN0378.JPG

amp rack --> http://spinellicreations.com:2501/2003/DSCN0387.JPG

side of truck 3/4 view --> http://spinellicreations.com:2501/2003/DSCN0371.JPG

subs --> http://spinellicreations.com:2501/2003/DSCN0383.JPG
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    nice truck i love it and nice system too. did you build your own amp rack, im considering building one for mine just to tilt it forward a little bit, to make it more visable amd accesible. any ideas
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    ah, so that's what your infamous inverted mids look like... those are the first pics i've seen of the truck, i like...

• 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    heya yall who did your stereo kick butt install
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    if you count my mother handing me tools and helping me get the raised floor behind the seat, as well as the old box out (and breaking her hand pretty much when we had put the old box in) -- then you could say my mom and I did it.

the amp rack is nothing fancy, its just two pieces of plywood cut at about 60 degree angles, then shelves put in with varying angles from flat to about 25 degrees raised and roughly 50 to 60 degrees raised up top. came out ok. i rush everything though... could have done a little better i believe. i'm in too much of a hurry - get way too tense when i do things. the pills are supposed to help but they don't.

neo - since crossing the midbass over at 500 and down, i've found that i dont' seem (emphasis on seem) to have any issues with them being inverted. Thom had suggested that if they ran all the way up to 1k that you would be able to notice a difference... he may be very well right about that. but i chopped em down at 500, and it seems like my midbass and "mid-mid" in the dash (for lack of a better term -- i'm talking about the 3 1/2 mid in the dash) are blending just right.

the window cranks are from the 88... the black plastic ones that were on there were too long, they kept higging the speaker's magnet (Well that wire mesh **** around hte magnet). so i snagged the ones from the 88, and drove a machine screw through the center of the gear. they're a little loose... i just finally got a good set of machine taps, so i'm going to tap the hole out with fine thread and put an allen head screw in each one. no use doing it now until i pull the door panels back off to dynamat though... damn "cranky" windows. get it -- window crank -- cranky windows -- god i suck...
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    lol thats pretty good i was ocnsidering making like a small version of an amp rack to tilt my amp forward a bit to make it kinda like on display. so when i show it to my friends they can see the prism color graphics on the amp. ne ideas on angle and materials, carpet, And mounting.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    1/2 inch wood - any kind will work... whatever is cheap... thin carpet is better for the application, hold it down with heavy duty staples... glue never works out quite right... bash the staples down so that you can't see them, and overlap where possible. you can get small angle brackets to screw it down.
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    cool
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    yup i get my system tommorow i cant wait ill have to take some pics of the install
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    im going to get my system today i cant wait itll bne cool
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    well i cant wait till i have my new polk speakers and db212-2 subs i hopr it sounds great so what has everyone been up to
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    i guess this thread is dyeing
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    well i know ive said it before but this friday im getting my system i had to get a new computer today though its nice a hp laptop 100 gig hardrive and over 1000 mb of ram
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    Seriously,

Is it that hard to type ANY instead of ne?

And people wonder what is wrong with America.
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited February 2006
    HiPerf360 wrote:
    Seriously,

Is it that hard to type ANY instead of ne?

And people wonder what is wrong with America.

How about simple coherent sentences?

Its NOT THAT HARD

....didnt he mention having a kid? If this is true I hope he cannot read this thread. :p
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    so whats wrong with having a kid huh? and yes i can type any thank you
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    i was just wondering how they rate the people in her polkies polksters, polk experts etc does it go by how many posts one has?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • Getty17331
    Getty17331 Posts: 26