What to get....

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Good things come to those who wait. It'll be worth it.

Shame you don't live near me, we could do it in a day. I have the shop and all the toys, I mean, tools...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2005
    amulford wrote:
    Good things come to those who wait. It'll be worth it.

Shame you don't live near me, we could do it in a day. I have the shop and all the toys, I mean, tools...

Yeah, as long as you don't forget to pull the dome light bulb so the battery doesn't drain and send your amps into protection mode and rack your brain for 2 hours trying to figure out why the hell the **** won't work!

Remember, amps now worky? Try starting the damn truck!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Maybe we should start with disconnecting the battery? He is getting new clamps...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2005
    At what point do people say things like "you should get a bigger alternator" with regard to car audio?

Here in the winter cold **** mornings of Chicago, sometimes it's a good 5 seconds or so before the car will actually turn over and start. It has a battery that is about 6-8 months old, so I don't think that would be a problem......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Youll be fine. You have to be well beyond the kilowatt range before you need to be looking at alternators. As long as youve got a good battery, that 400.4 will be just fine on the stock charging system.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    My install date has been changed to the 26th, so that's a good thing....

One thing that I saw on their price sheet is that they charge around $45 for upgrading the stock wiring. If an amp is being installed, they HAVE to replace the wiring, right? I mean, that can't be something they can put in a car and try to use the existing wire, true?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2005
    I have some older, small amps that would not necessarily need to get upgraded wiring but for what you are doing, yes, you need the wiring. Honestly, $45 ain't bad considering what you are doing. The average cost of the kit that you would need to do it yourself can cost anywhere from $35-$65 and I'd be leaning more to the high end since you decided to use ANL fuses.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Maybe I worded that a bit wrong.....

If I'm being charged a price for installing an amp, they automatically have to put wiring in as a part of that install, right (no charge for running wire)? I'm thinking that they'd only charge someone if they replaced a deck and wanted to keep everything as is, whereas they can't use the wiring from the deck to the speakers when you're putting an amp in the trunk (or under a seat).......
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Ya know, thats a good question.

If they quote you $50 to install an amp I would think that would cover the wiring as well. Plus, since youre supplying the wiring kit I wouldnt be charged extra for wiring other than labor.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    we charge $65 installation, it includes running the wire, but the wire itself you have to buy extra
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Thats what I thought and since Brett has already bought his wires and cables the shop shouldnt charge him for anything other than labor.

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Oh ya.......they also want to charge me a $10 bench test for every piece they're installing (deck, fronts, rears, and amp) for a total of $40.......seems a little odd to me, but whatever.....

It's because I didn't buy it there and they don't want to install things only to find that it doesn't work. That seems to be one of the first things that they should do before they go and drop everything in the car, but that's just me.
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, I've found that these shops will find new ways to charge you a little extra for something. When I bought the Alpine CDA-9847 head unit from Best Buy, they said "free installation", but (of course) charged for a "wiring harness" and "install kit" that came to about $40-45. I paid for both the day I purchased the stereo, and even brought it with me along with the receipt the day I had it installed a couple of days later. They "TRIED" to charge me for those "extras" TWICE....the day it was installed (after I'd already paid for it)! Then, when they figured they couldn't zap me for any more, they added a $5 "shop charge"! So much for "free" installation!

But Brett....when I've called around and asked about amp installation charges, practically every place I have called has told me that they would charge extra for running basic speaker wire throughout the car. The AMP wiring is not extra (from what I have been told), but any other additional "speaker wire" would be....which is fine, considering the extra time and labor that goes into it. I just don't like being told one price, and then getting zapped with any additional "extra" charges that I'm not told about beforehand. $10 for a "bench test" seems about like Worst Buy's little $5 "shop charge"....
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Hey, I wouldn't **** too much about that. At least they are conscientious enough to do it. They could say eff it and put it in, then charge you again to pull it AND reinstall it if it doesn't work. You wouldn't be able to say a damn thing, either. "I'm sorry, but if you had bought it from us, it probably would not have happened..."
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    brettw22 wrote:
    Oh ya.......they also want to charge me a $10 bench test for every piece they're installing (deck, fronts, rears, and amp) for a total of $40.......seems a little odd to me, but whatever.....

It's because I didn't buy it there and they don't want to install things only to find that it doesn't work. That seems to be one of the first things that they should do before they go and drop everything in the car, but that's just me.

That sounds like a load of **** to me. If they hook it up and it works, it works.

Im losing respect for Tweeter the more you post.

I would tell them to dump the "bench test" **** or youll take your business elsewhere. There are too many real shops out there with very talented installers to have to settle for this rip off.

Bench test fee my ****. What a crock. :mad:

Theyre trying to pull a fast one on ya bro. Dont let em.

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    I'm going to talk to them about the bench fee test, definitely.....

SportsFan, as far as there being charges AFTER they've charged me for the install (which I'd guess they should/would do BEFORE the work is done) they can kiss my **** if they think I'm going to pay for more stuff that they come up with on the fly.
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    I talked to them about the bench fee and they'll cut that in half....

I asked about the wiring and they said they usually tie into the 18awg stock wiring (still don't understand how they do that when they're talking about relocating the amp section basically). Basically, it'll be a $45 charge to upgrade it all.....blah blah.

I'm at this point looking about about mid 4 bills for everything (install fees, wiring harness/deck kit, bench test). Little bothered, but they are going to be the one's that remove it all and put the car back to stock when i get rid of it, so i guess it's a bit of a pre-pay on the un-install that they're going to be doing when I sell this car.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Well since the job is set for the 26th nothing to really do about it now. If it were a little further off Id recommend shopping around to some other local shops and see what they charge.

Still, the Tweeter guys care competent so you can rest assured the job will be done right.

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2005
    Come on yall install it yourself thats the best part of car audio. Installing is what it is all about. Leting someone else install it takes all the fun and hype out of it. I like to know all my wires are neat and tied off. Im not taking any chance on someone else installing my stuff. Cause i know they will not take near as much pride in installing it like i will in my own vehicle.
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    I'm not going to tear apart my car and think that I'm going to put it back together right....

I plan on hanging out with them and watching what all's involved to see how it's done.......if I'm ok with it, then I'll consider tackling the next car.....
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Believe it or not, it's not all that bad. You do need to have the time, tools, patience, and maybe some help. (<== That will depend on how far you go.)

I thought it was going to be a real PITA, too. We just about stripped the interior of the truck. It did take 18 hrs, but I'd do it again. I may have too anyway. I've been thinking about the BMW...
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    The time I probably have.....the patience though, are you kidding?!?!?!?!? lol
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Actually I prefer installing myself because then you dont have to wait! ;)

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Well, surprises surprises......I'm at Best Buy right now waiting for my car to be installed, but the bill ran up to the $500 mark. Next time, I'll DEFINITELY be looking to install myself, but for now, I've resolved myself to being at their mercy since I don't want to try, and I don't want to wait (any longer).
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I thought you were having it done at Tweeter?!?!?

So what was the **** reason they had for tacking on another $100?

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    I wasn't clear.......I'm at Best Buy (waiting for my car to be installed at Tweeter), and wasting the day away here.

The re-wiring charge is $45 per pair, not for the whole car (pisses me off), and the other indicentals are some labor to cut the metal, supports for the amp (going in the trunk on a side (not to the fold down back seat) and a few other things.

I'll take some pics when I get it all installed (though I don't know that you'll be able to see the speaks since we're leaving the factory speaker grilles in place (the plan), but who knows how it'll end up in reality. I'll find out in about 3 more hours......
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Well its been 4.5 hours. Hows it sound?!? ;)

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    when were wiring a cars full range speakers, well take the speaker wire and run it to the back of the deck. Quick and easy. Bad thing is the stock stuff is crap, we charge more to go to each door, but im not sure how much.

We bench check all of our customer equipment before we put it in, but we dont charge a fee. Thats crap. All you have to do is hook up 3 wires for an amp and put a speaker on it, takes no more than a couple minutes.

I was pretty sure you were going to have to cut metal, I had to in the girlfriends 04 civic when i put her SRs in it.

As far as im concerned, best buys free installation isnt misleading at all. Free labor does not mean free parts...

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Wow.....what an ordeal.

The amp was installed in the trunk, but not on the back of the rear seat (the Accord has a ski-passthru type of door that eliminates that option. Instead, it was mounted to the rear driver side panel in the trunk which is a VERY good thing. This way, I lose zero trunk space, and everything is tucked neatly off to the side.

The speakers, deck, and amp all look great. Problem: one of my channels on the amp is blown. They tested the wire, interconnects, and different amp channels to confirm that the front passenger channel is shot. It is now completely disconnected and I'm basically listening to everything from the back seat, because my leg practically eliminates the speaker on my driver door (I have to learn to drive with my leg stretched out instead of bent and leaning on the door).

Overall, it sounds great, and has some incredible bass for the channels that are running, but I need to do a few things:

1. Read the manual on the deck
    2. Get a replacement 400.4 on the way el pronto
    3. Keep myself from trying to push things too hard from the get-go.

The things that the guy didn't end up using were the battery terminals, grounding wire end, and a whole roll of the speaker cable (cable I'll keep). Those other things will be returned tomorrow.

The grand total ended up coming to $530 and change. Here's how it broke down (for those that care or are looking at having it done):

Deck - $45
    Speaker wire upgrade (fronts) - $45
    Speaker wire upgrade (rear) - $25 (they halved <almost> the $45 charges because the amp is only 5 feet max from the rear deck speaks)
    Front and rear speaker install - $80 each
    Amp install - $70
    4awg wire upgrade - $30 (no idea why they charge more for running 4 awg vs 8, but whatever)
    Replace AFS fuse with ANL holder - $10 (at this point I was practically throwing my hands in the air)
    Custom labor amp mount - $30 (amp was mounted to cloth covered MDF for support - this one I have no problem with.....it looks good)
    Custom labor front speakers - $20 (had to cut the holes wider for the 6500's
    Wire harness - $15
    Deck kit - $20

Then I had a request to have a 1/8 cord hanging out so I can either plug in my MP3 player or my laptop when I'm on the road. Those charges were:

IPBUS to RCA adaptor - $35 (apparently the 860 doesn't have an aux rca jack)
    Belkin 8' RCA to 1/8 mini jack - $20

So, as soon as I get the replacement 400.4, I hav to go back and they'll do an install on the amp and then I should be good to go.

After that was all done, I went to Fry's electronics and bought a new laptop......now I get to spend the night setting that up....it's always something....lol
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    you didn't mention the price of the SR6500 X 2 and all the other Polk gear...

who'd you have to sleep with to get all that for free??? :eek: ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: