FS: Definitive Technology BP6B - A long shot I know

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,935
edited November 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
SOLD

It is coming down to a crunch time I am afraid and I just am going to just admit I do not and won't have a use for these things for a fairly long time...

These speakers have treated me exceptionally well. They sound magnificant! If you are looking for INSANE Home Theater, Video Game performance - these are for you. They throw off a large soundstage and can produce heart throbbing bass. They were designed around entry level HT customers and they do this with absolute finese by far. But don't fret, they do music very good as well!

They however require a bit more breathing room than DT mentions, I recomend atleast 1 foot of space between them and rear wall, the more the better, around 2 foot is optimal! So know this BEFORE you buy them. They are indeed rear ported and putting them to close to the rear wall WILL suffocate them.

Specifics
  • Original Box
  • Original Packing Materials - Which are great, they have top to bottom 5 layers of cardboard for the front and back baffles, with 1-1.5" thick foam blocks to go on the top and bottom - the cardboard front and back panels wrap around to leave only 4-5" of the speaker exposed on each side with about 1" of clearance, I will stick some packing peanuts down in this "slot"
  • Great condition, has one minor* "scuff" on the back rear corner of the top cap - not noticeable, hence why its in the back.
  • High Gloss Black Caps with an elegant black grill sock
  • Features dual 5.25" homopolymer midbasses, dual 1" aluminum dome tweeters\
  • Extremely Small Foot Print! - Dimensions: 7" W x 11" D x 35" H
  • Bottom terminal hook ups for better wire managment
  • Great for smaller rooms, computer setups, for people looking for a mostly HT based setup.

Skinny Details
  • Will Not Accept Paypal, Personal Checks
  • Only Accept Money Orders
  • Item will be shipped as soon as possible right after the Money order has been cashed.
  • Will be shipped through UPS, it is the closest carrier.
  • Will not ship to Canada. Period.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited September 2005
    What Definitive Says -
    "Leading experts agree that Definitive's revolutionary bipolar loudspeakers are sonically superior to any conventional speaker regardless of size or price. Our least expensive tower, the astonishing BP 6B, brings all the dramatic benefits and sonic superiority of full-range bipolar technology to a new level of affordability."

"Two 25 mm pure aluminum dome tweeters blended by a Linkwitz-Riley crossover
    Two 14 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned bass/midranges.
    Finish: jewel-like piano black lacquer or golden cherry.
    Weight: 42 lbs. Speakers are supplied with an optional spiking kit.
    Retail: $299 ea."

"Audiophile Performance, Designer Styling,
    and Unmatched Value

The goal of the Definitive design team was to create state-of-the-art loudspeakers which offered unsurpassed sophisticated technology and lifelike musical and cinematic reproduction combined in sleek and stylish designs which could be easily and attractively placed in your home environment. Their success in achieving these goals is immediately apparent when you listen to your favorite music or movie through Definitive speakers. The elegant slender towers seem to disappear in a huge natural soundstage which extends in a three-dimensional arc beyond the speakers from left to right, and exhibits front to back depth which, at times, can be almost startling in its ability to recreate the illusion of live music or cinematic action being performed in your room (which will seem to be almost magically expanded in size).

Thousands of man-hours of critical listening, design processes utilizing the most advanced computer loudspeaker development programs available and proprietary engineering investigations at the NRC (the world's most advanced loudspeaker research facility) have combined to produce loudspeakers like no other in the world. The spectacular three-dimensional imaging, awesome deep bass response and silky smooth high definition linearity of the Definitive Technology BP 10B, 8B, and 6B are the result of the utilization and integration of a myriad of technological advancements and breakthroughs (including the latest state-of-the-art components and technology developed for our flagship BP 3000 Series loudspeakers) which have been combined to create unmatched instruments for the reproduction of music or movies in your home. They truly recreate reality that totally suspends disbelief.

The Sonic Superiority of
    Definitive's Bipolar Loudspeakers

Experts agree that bipolar loudspeakers are unquestionably superior for both music and home theater and Definitive is the leader in bipolar technology. What is responsible for the unequaled sonic performance of Definitive's bipolar speakers? Quite simply, each speaker incorporates two complete sets of drivers-one facing forward and the other facing to the rear. Thus, the BP 10B, 8B, and 6B radiate the full sonic spectrum both forward and rearward in an omni-directional pattern much like sound is produced in real life.

The audible benefits you will hear are dramatic! This unique technology provides you with a lifelike balance of early-arrival sound information (which provides focus, clarity and location data), and properly delayed late-arrival information (which conveys the lush three-dimensional soundstage of a live music or cinematic performance). In addition, the special driver topology, as well as wide dispersion, assures a superb panorama of lifelike sound for every listener in your room wherever they sit or stand. Most importantly, however, Definitive's bipolar speakers make the walls of your room seem to disappear and, in effect, expand the size of your room into the soundspace of the live event your system is reproducing. They literally bring your music and movies to life!

Computer Synthesized
    Transmission-Line Tuning (CSTLT)

Transmission-line loading of low frequency drivers has long been acknowledged among critical audiophiles as producing the deepest, cleanest and most uncolored bass response. The construction of a true and properly engineered transmission line is, however, an extremely complex and expensive procedure. Definitive Technology's engineers have developed, with the aid of a supercomputer at a major Eastern university, a new bass tuning program which basically duplicates the loading of a transmission line (in terms of extended bass response and ideal transient behavior) in a much more elegant and cost-effective cabinet construction.

Monocoque, Non-Resonant, Low-Diffraction Cabinets

The cabinet of a loudspeaker plays a large part in its sonic performance. Diffraction, or the secondary radiation of sound caused by cabinet edges, grill frames and other protrusions, can color the sound of a loudspeaker. The design of the BP 10B, 8B, and 6B reduces diffraction to an absolute minimum by flush mounting drivers on extremely narrow baffles with radiused edges, which are covered by a frameless grill "sock."

In addition, the resonant vibration of a loudspeaker's cabinet walls and baffles can also impart unwanted coloration. The Definitives' monocoque cabinets are constructed of high-density medite with l " thick front and rear baffles, foam dampening pads and internal braces. This virtually eliminates resonant cabinet coloration which could otherwise interfere with the pure sound produced by our high definition drivers. The BP 10B, like the BP Power Towers, also include an additional divider/brace panel separating the front and rear drivers.

Multiple High-Definition
    Cast-Magnesium Basket Drivers

The BP 10B, and 8B all utilize multiple high definition cast basket bass/midrange drivers (the same as used in our flagship BP3000 Series) for significant performance advantages in the areas of bass reproduction, lifelike midrange clarity and dynamic range. These sophisticated bass/midrange drivers incorporate deeply drawn mineral-filled homopolymer cones, combined with butyl rubber surrounds and dustcaps, high temperature vented voice coils and massive magnet structures. This combination of features assures high definition, superb transient response, high efficiency, high power handling and extended bass response. In addition, they are assembled utilizing an aerodynamically designed, magnetically inert, cast-magnesium basket to minimize internal reflections off the back of the cone and preserve structural and magnetic integrity under all conditions. The BP 6B uses otherwise identical stamped basket versions of the BP 8B 's cast basket drivers

Moving Coil Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeters

The moving coil dome tweeters Definitive developed for the BP3000 Series are now incorporated in the BP 10B, 8B, and 6B. They utilize a specially annealed pure aluminum 25 mm dome, suspended by a silk surround and acoustically loaded by a precisely configured phase plug/lens, engineered to assure perfectly controlled, absolutely linear movement. This results in velvety smooth extended response (beyond 30 kHz), greatly reduced distortion, improved transient response, wider dispersion and notably higher definition. Magnetic fluid damping is incorporated for ultra high power handling.

Phase-Coherent Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Networks

The crossover network of a loudspeaker is the real heart of the system, as it is responsible for perfectly blending together the sound of the various drivers into a musically seamless whole. The sophisticated Linkwitz-Riley designs used in the BP 10B, 8B, and 6B equalize the drivers for linear phase and Frequency response. This preserves the phase coherence, transient response and dynamic integrity of the signal for absolutely lifelike music and home theater reproduction in your home.

Easily Positioned for Superior Sound
    Throughout Your Room for Every Listener

BP 10Bs, 8Bs, and 6Bs are engineered to be easy to position (just 4" to 24" out from the wall) in any listening room or home theater installation in order to achieve superb sonic reproduction throughout your room. In addition, a major benefit of the special driver topology is wide dispersion, which assures a superb panorama of lifelike sound for virtually every listener in a room, no matter where they sit or stand."

www.DefinitiveTech.com
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    I love Definitive Tech speakers. For $300 that's absurd. Good luck there, SId.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Yeah I price them to sell...

However if they get no bites, I have no issues holding on to them by no margin.
  • rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited September 2005
    Whats your next speaker? Just curious :D
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Oh yeah...

I dont have any carpet spikes for these....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-725

Or

Contact DT and let them know... these are brand new, only a year old - 4 years of warranty left and I am the original owner.

I do have the feet for wooden floors, etc...

I'm not getting anymore speakers, not for a long time.

These havnt been used, literally in over a year... These have just been sititng around, they were used for around a month - then I got my larger DTs and never had a real use for them except for surround use which didnt last long.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    these are brand new, only a year old

Oxymoron :confused::D

And you had to wait to put them up for sale after I go out and spend all my "momma don't know" $$$ :mad: :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Not at all... with about 20 hours of use on them (if that) they are brand new.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Mmm Mmm. If only I had some room for another set of speakers - they'd be sold.

Good luck with the sale, Sid.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited September 2005
    wow cool cool. I'll be upgrading my dorm speakers next year to something "SMALLER" but these would be ideal for my budget, next year

Good luck!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    What is "next year"?

Well let me put it like this, I am confident you could change your mains, and get rid of your subwoofer with these speakers...

I am listening to them right now and they literally require no subwoofer - period. The floor shakes, the couch shakes, they have thunderous, gut wrenching bass. But I am also powering them with an amp.

These are 6 ohms BTW.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Hmm. 6 ohms. That'd be a good reason to get a separate amp, too.

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Nah, they are rather effecient, but they are 4-8 - mostly 6 ohms. Any receiver can power them.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited September 2005
    next year is next school year...as in....late august...

which is about a year from now

Chirs
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited September 2005
    I know this is a polk forum but I would love to get rid of my RT theater setup and build around some bipolar DT's. I'm a sucker for the gloss endcaps too.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    And.........?
  • caseymou
    edited September 2005
    I would love to do the "upgrade" but I currently don't have the cash on hand to buy the new before selling the old. The only way I could do it is to sell first and buy second. That would mean no theater for some time and wouldn't be acceptable to the wife and child. It seems like a good deal for someone to snatch up.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Chuck, you know I have enough laying around for you to use til the DTs came

I think that some Mon 10As, 7As, and RTA 8TLs would suffice ;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • aaharvel
    edited September 2005
    SID- what size are the tweeters and midranges in inches? Also, are there any subs inside the cabinet? Powered or Passive?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Just curious...

What RTs do you have?
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    AA,
    These are the BOTL Passive* towers.

They feature dual 5.25" midbasses, and dual 1" aluminum dome tweeters with a smaller magnet than the BP8B and BP10B.

They have a quasi transmission line which produces bass that is absolutely outside this world.

They are very finicky on placement, they require tilting up - and can be bright if placed wrong, but are extremely detailed - feature a fairly wide and deep soundstage. They sound absolutely nothing like the RTi line. They were pretty much the speaker that booted all my Polks out the door and welcomed the BP10B ;)
  • aaharvel
    edited September 2005
    dude if i didn't live in an apt. and was setting up a classic 2.0 system- I WOULD SNAG THESE IN A FREAKING HEARTBEAT! My Adcoms would drive those good. Sigh... :o
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• VR3
    edited September 2005
    Yeah man...

I have the SVS off, listening to some regular music, not rap or anything and the bass is just amazing - very clean and fast, very powerful. I love it. The mids and highs are kind of forward, but I have them toed up reallllllllly far for aesthetic reasons, havnt messed with that. If you leave them level - they tone down quite a bit.

Thats what I like about Bipolar speakers, if they dont sound good in one place - you can just move them and change everything.

But the aluminum is very detailed, but it is fairly bright - not even close to being the same as the BP10B tweeter, I like to run the BP6B on -2 on the treble control. But again, I have mine toed up where the tweeter is firing really freakin high. Thats part of the issue.

Ah, yall are making me hate to sell these. NTCulenuff or w/e - these would make him some killer surrounds. The amount of bass these things put out make for some just...awesome surrounds.

EDIT: I toed them back down to level - much more even presentation. Extremely detailed tweeters. I wish I had my BP10Bs in a larger room :(
  • caseymou
    edited September 2005
    Sid,
    If you were asking about my RT's I am currently running RTi100's for fronts, LS f/x rears, and a CS300 center. Oh yeah, I just remembered I have RT55's packed up in the basement as well.
  • caseymou
    edited September 2005
    What Def Tech center and surrounds would match these best in a 5 or 6.1 system? Just wondering about the potential of total system cost.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    One and only bump.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited September 2005
    Like everyone else I want them, but I just can't do it right now. BP8's were the first high end speaker I ever heard and have been in love with Def Tech's ever since.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Well the BP6Bs main design goals were HT. They were basically made for entry level use, for people just getting into HT - dont want to take up alot of room, MAY not have room for a sub (which they could actually pull off with these lil buggers) and just didnt want to spend alot. Bipolar technology is known in the high end world as the best for Home Theater, I personally see them more related to music, atleast from the BP8B and up in the line...

The BP6B, although is better than some speakers for music in alot of ways, is not for everyone. It is slightly forwards in its approach... which is great for what it is designed for - but can be tiresome in music. All depends on taste. But anyone using their setup for mostly HT - this would be a good option. Infact, I wouldnt be to worried to say if you had a small room, your wife was pestering you for smaller speakers and you had the RTi10, RTi8 (speakers around that size) - these speakers would be a step up for HT performance. No doubt.

See, Bipolar loudspeakers are more effecient in their sound usage than direct radiating speakers, where DR speakers actually lose output and bass output from the rear of the speaker... Bipolar speakers have no loss as they have the same exact sound coming out both ends. It is a design that leaves for a very effecient, very well balanced loudspeaker. With the right placement and setup, they can sound outside of this world. Bipolar speakers are basically designed around real life.

70% of the sound we hear in real life is reflected (if not more)
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    A snippet from Mirage's site...

"Understanding How We Hear

Research proved that in a live musical environment, approximately 30% of what we hear is direct sound while 70% is reflected from walls, ceilings and floors and only reaches our ears a few milliseconds after the direct sound. The human brain uses direct sound for identification and to calculate location, but uses reflected sound to determine musicality and spaciousness, as well as direction. If this reflected sound arrives at our ears with inadequate high frequency content then the reproduced music is identified by the brain as artificial. Ian recognized that a speaker capable of recreating the correct direct to reflected ratio would therefore reproduce sound with far greater realism and faithfulness to the original instrument and environment.

Eventually Ian’s tireless research into acoustics and how we perceive sound allowed him to understand how the brain processes this information. A new set of tests began. At this stage he had already created many speakers that were establishing Mirage as a force in the industry. But his search for the most realistic sound was far from over. Armed with the knowledge that the 30% direct to 70% reflected ratio was vital to a realistic music reproduction, he set out to test exactly how the speakers of the day measured.

Examining Conventional Speakers

Ian’s data showed that a conventional speaker had opposite ratios of direct to reflected sound, or 70% direct and 30% reflected. The realization struck him that such a speaker could not mimic a live performance and conventional designs would not suffice.

A conventional speaker has drivers mounted in the front of the cabinet. If it is capable of creating wide dispersion, it can create a large soundstage but not convince the brain that it is, in fact, listening to a live band as opposed to a recording. This is because most of the sound is coming straight from the drivers, directly to the listener, with very limited reflected sound. He reasoned that rear mounted drivers in a cabinet should boost the reflected sound and much more accurately recreate a realistic effect.

At this stage of speaker evolution a technology existed called dipolar using front and rear drivers though it did not provide the characteristics that Ian sought. Dipole front and rear drivers radiate out of phase, which means that when the front driver ‘pushes” air outwards, the rear driver “pulls” inwards. The drivers are always moving in the same direction, canceling a lot of the speaker’s energy, and drastically reducing its off-axis dispersion. The dispersion pattern of a dipole is often referred to as a “figure 8” pattern, as it resembles two teardrop shapes emanating from the cabinet.

Ian experimented with speakers in a bipolar configuration, where both front and rear drivers operated in phase with each other. The result was a much wider dispersion than a dipolar configuration and a large sound stage that created an unbelieveable convicing live listening experience. Ian's first speaker to contain this technology was the Mirage M-1, which went on to win speaker of the decade by 'The Absolute Sound'. Later, Mirage later coined this technology as OMNIPOLAR, which better explained the true radiation pattern of Ian's invention."

http://www.miragespeakers.com/
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    I've received a few PMs on these speakers.

Let me explain a few things about how I sell things.

As you've noticed, I like to keep things organized, up front and to make the sell as straight forwards as possible. I offer tons of pictures of the product - details, everything.

This time I failed to mention I will completely ignore PMs. That is why I have not responded to any emails like that.

Also, I have the right to selectively sell my items to people I want to have them. For instance, if you joined Club Polk in September of 2005 - no posts - and PM me wanting to buy my speakers...

So new members and old members alike, don't PM me about my speakers if you want them... post in this thread. If you have no feedback on anything, here, ebay, audiogon... and just joined CP this month - don't expect me to sell you the speakers. I paid my hard earned cash for these speakers and I would much prefer they go to a good home. If I wanted to sell them to a bunch of no bodies, I'd be on EBay currently.