FS: Definitive Technology BP6B - A long shot I know

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    I just have a hard time everytime I see someone use Sid's real name, Trey. We call my oldest son Trey, because he's the third. I'm named after my father, I'm the second. Just freaks me out when I think that I'm old enough to be Sid's dad :o :rolleyes:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    edited November 2005
    Please forgive me, but bp6bs are the smaller of the set pictured, correct?

Ok... Though I only have one post

1. User name is Gibbles on ebay, check me out. Been on since '98 - I think.
    2. Have been registered on Polk forums since '01. I used to work in an electronics store in college and learned more about what I was selling from you guys than the trainers... I mostly liked to watch dialogue and get opinions. Thats the reason for never posting
    3. My main rig - Mains - AR 312HO, Centre - AR4c, Surrounds - Klpsh reference dipole (can't remember model#), Surround back (pair of speaks from rm7500), sub (from the rm7500 set (glossy))
    tv - toshiba 50" cinema series ws (can't remember model), Receiver - onkyo txds989 (fully upgraded)).

The bedroom system is more stuff, but don't need to get into it.

I hope this qualifies me.....
    The ARs are good, but their sound (for lack of a better word) 'bores' me. I want more alive sound, and starting with the Def Techs, seems a good way to go. room is about 20X13 but very tight fitting and opens into kitchen... I also do sacd in this room, and may be doing pre outs into some parasound amps soon...

Just need some opinions, and yes, I'm interested in the speaks also......
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    As others have said...you can trust whatever Sid says.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,934
    edited November 2005
    I know Def Tech stuff pretty well... I'm far from a expert on it - but its definitely not foreign territory by any means... - I literally know those 5 speakers in the picture like the back of my hand...

Anyways... yes, the BP6B is the smaller one in the picture. They definitely have a more alive sound. I doubt you will find them boring.

The cool thing about bipolar towers is you can upgrade to larger towers later and move your older towers to the surround position... and I speak from experience... those things take the surround experience to a new level... the amount of bass they can produce is just insane.

What are you driving your stuff with? You might consider a small amp to put on the main stage. Just to give it a lil extra kick. Something like Adcom or such. I dont know what you have - but you may find it something to consider..

Shandrea has until tonight (Saturday at 11 oclock) to verify he wants them. If there is no response or he does not want them - they are yours. Unless you posted first and I missed it. I have been kind of out of the loop as far as keeping up with threads lately. So sorry if I am creating any confusion...

Faster,
    I'm more worried about fake money orders....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    never heard of a fake money order, But ya know
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • shandrea4444
    shandrea4444 Posts: 10
    edited November 2005
    North Carolina.

As for BP6B vs. Bp10B - does your brother have the original BP10? With the soft domes? If so, you may find the BP6B has better detail than his speakers. But, his will have a better overall presentation, but I doubt you will find benefit in owning the 10B if you cant turn it up loud or dont have the proper amplification.

My worry would be more in buying from a seller outside of ebay. As the seller, you will receive the money before you send the product, so I'm not sure that you have the risk. As the buyer, I'd send my money through paypal right away, and then just hope to receive a quality product.

As to whether he has bp10Bs, I'm not sure. I know he bought them new about 3- 4 years ago, if that means anything. I have flexibility in placing the speakers, because the side wall on each side comes our about 4 feet on each side, and the whole room is open except for my theater seats and components in the back of the room. As for amplification, I don't have anything worthy of an audiophile, but my Pioneer vsx-D912 seems like it gives out enough volume -- but I don't know whether it can sufficiently power BP10Bs or BP8Bs.
  • shandrea4444
    edited November 2005
    All I really know is that I like def tech based on what I've read about them and hearing them. My most recent purchase on ebay was a pair of gems with a mythos seven center and a pf15 sub. The seller still hasn't sent the sub (says he brought it into the shop to get a new power cord for my benefit) so I can't really judge the gems without a sub to go with them. I just wanted the PF 15, because I know I like my brothers, and I figured if the gems don't do the trick, I can always resell them. Do you know anything about the gems? They sound alright, but they obviously lack bass (which I can't go too overboard on anyway, because the wife doesn't like too much).

I don't want to get the bp6bs if I'll just end up selling them for something else -- my wife's already frustrated with me not wanting what I already purchased.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    edited November 2005
    Thought I posted first, but I'll step aside for the other guy, ......I'll be driving it with an onkyo txds989, I may be using the pre outs to some Parasounds, if I can get the right price for them.... I'll be paying via paypal.....
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    The gems are what they are. Small bookshelfs - the BP6B will fill the area much better.

I only accept MO, I have no paypal account. Just a FWIW.

With proper placement and amplification, the BP6B can move some air in more ways than one...

Question now is... do you want them? ;)

PS: Shandrea posted 10/16/05
    Maingey posted 11/4/05

Just to verify.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Boxes are ready to go!
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Please, somebody buy these so this thread will end, please!!!!
  • shandrea4444
    edited November 2005
    I'm not interested in paying with money order.
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    I'm not interested in paying with money order.

Dude, I know you're new and all, but you can most definitely trust Trey to send the speaks out to you. He doesn't want all of us to come down on his **** if he didn't. I think there's alot of members that knows where he lives. :D
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    If you dont want to pay with Money Order... fine

But it is a federal offense if I dont ship it...

Anyways...

Maingey... if you want em - all yours.

Beginning Of Thread -

Skinny Details

* Will Not Accept Paypal, Personal Checks
    * Only Accept Money Orders
    * Item will be shipped as soon as possible right after the Money order has been cashed.
    * Will be shipped through UPS, it is the closest carrier.
    * Will not ship to Canada. Period.

I've done about 15 transactions on this website... all of which were paid for by money order.
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Just to show you I am serious about selling these (although I dont see why I need to)...

Here is a picture of one packaged up... I used scotch tape because I have no packing tape... I am going to buy some and retape... I just wanted to show you two what the packaging job is and you will see why people buy from CP to begin with...

You get DT's packaging... + my packaging. The sides that normally would be vacant have 6 layers of bubble wrap put in there, the foam blocks are 1.5" thick... the cardboard packaging is 5 or so layers thick + the outter box...

They are packed to ARRIVE.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    No worries with buying from Sid. Like Noel said, if he rips ya off, we'll pay him a house visit. :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    If I rip him off... I'll pay YOU a visit personally and kick my own butt in front of all of ya... ;)
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Oooh...now I'm hopin' you do rip him off. Lemme go charge my digital camera's batteries...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    The members here run a very very honest flea market. Anyone that has ever ripped someone off has been dealt with and banned. I only joined in April and have bought numerous pieces from here without a single issue and from people that I have never seen or met.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    This is a long for sale thread...

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    I know...

*ponders* - Who will buy them? Is it you... or you... or you...

No one knows...

:)
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    sorry just bought Energy C3's for my computer....next...is a keyboard and mice...well one mouse...I don't need too many rodents...

Good luck

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Do we have any "definitive" answers from either you two?
  • shandrea4444
    edited November 2005
    maingey can have them if he wants them. Otherwise, I'm going to think about it. Part of not wanting to do money order is the hassel of getting to the bank to get one. My working hours lately have been on average from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. or later. Once my schedule gets more regular, I'll reconsider it if they are still available.
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Money Orders can be had anywhere...

Walmart... Grocery Stores... Gas Stations...

Surely you get gas... groceries... ;)

If its anything like here... getting it from there would be cheaper.
  • shandrea4444
    edited November 2005
    Lately, I literally do not leave my building during the day, not even to eat. I work, I go home, I sleep, and get up the next day to work again. I just don't have time right now to go looking for a place to get a money order. It is the life of litigation -- I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Oh come on you two, either ya want them or ya don't... you don't work 24/7, surely as trey mentioned you get a coffee or gas or something at a convenient store. No offense but if you want them bad enough you would get the money order.

Trey, id pass if possible. someone so adament on pay-pal seems strange to me.. be careful and again no offense. I give trey a hard time from time to time but i can't see him getting tugged through the ringer if ya don't really want the speakers
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    MOs can be had at almost all convenience stores for $.69. It takes an extra 2 minutes at the most while they print it out. Hell send one of your "go-fors" as it sounds as though you're a lawyer?? or at least work in law in some capacity. If so, who do you send after your lunch or dry-cleaning?? They could pick one up for you.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited November 2005
    Crap! :mad: Double post :o
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited November 2005
    You can pay for and send them online also.
    http://www.bidpay.com/
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones