FS: Definitive Technology BP6B - A long shot I know

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited October 2005
    How about a bump?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    You're an idiot.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2005
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    AB,
    The difference between what I did and what you did... is you ACTUALLY asked me.

You MORON.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited October 2005
    Quit bumping your thread Sid. :)
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Only after you stop... :);)
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    He didn't. I did. I'm a moron.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    ***bump***

am I an idiot? :eek:
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited October 2005
    Morons and idiots :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    So which one of you morons and idiots are going to buy these...? :mad:
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited October 2005
    Sid, I have heard the 8's. How do these compare as far as bass extension is concerned?
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Funny...

I have never heard the BP8B...

The BP6B has insane amounts of bass (for music).

The 8B would be more geared torwards music than HT, since it uses the tweeter from the BP3000 (old TOTL) - it also uses better midbasses.

The BP6B uses a specially designed polymer midbass (even though DT calls it homopolymer, its not) - that took place of the old 4.5" midbass they used in the older line. They are fairly high excursion and do move alot of air.

I like them, I wouldnt use them in a music setup personally - they would be perfect for a computer, game, movie rig though - without a doubt.

They, in a small room are very powerful - bass drum kicks kick you and everything. Great extention.
  • shandrea4444
    shandrea4444 Posts: 10
    edited October 2005
    I'm new to this forum and to the world of quality speakers. From my novice research, I like definitive's bi-polar design and the BP-6 would probably be sufficient for my set up (although my brother tells me to go for the BP-10's, which he has).
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    SOLD

Funny...

I didnt even see the above post... ^^^^^^ :p Thats ok... I dont like selling to 1st posters that much ;)

Cmon folks... GREAT game or HT speaker here... in a smallish room, it will move some things...
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Man. You're making this so hard to resist. I'm seriously trying to think of somewhere to put them. If I could come up with a place (that Mom didn't object to), I'd bag 'em.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited November 2005
    They're more for HT,how do they do on music?...OK didnt read all the post,HT and gaming...cool
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited November 2005
    Is there 3 or 5 speakers in this set?
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    According to Sid, they do quite well for music, too, though gaming and HT is obviously their main arena. There are two DT towers for sale.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    3 or 5?

There are two (one pair) of speakers for sell. As in, one pair of towers.

They do pretty good for music... but this particular speaker was designed to pave the way for entry level HT. It can, with time, patience and placement do quite well with music.

Infact, I will put money that in a small room with the right placement and power can out-perform almost any speaker in HT, ANY speaker. From the RTi8 to the LSi15. Money on it!

Bipolar loudspeakers ARE HT. ;)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    well why don't you keep them then? if they are so difficult to setup for music.. they really can't be reccomended then for music IMO... Good luck with the sale..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Eh... some speakers are pickier than others. They sound great in any placement, but like anything in this world - fine tuning is the key.

Why dont I keep them? I have their much larger brother, and frankly - they are just taking up space in my 2 channel world. (Since I originally used them as surrounds)

Bipolar speakers make for a very fun music listening experience if you take the time.

NOT every speaker is a set of SDAs... plop them down in a spot... away from side walls... straight ahead... BAM. I mean THAT is optimal placement for SDAs.

These... they need toe in, tilting, away from side and back walls - to truly excel.

I'm not afraid to dicuss the positives and negatives of these speakers. They excel at what they excel in and thats that. They would make for great HT mains or a small music systems - all depends on the wants and needs and tastes of the buyer. I recomend them. Great lil speakers..
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    edited November 2005
    Sid, don't know if I missed it, but could you post some pics? I'll validate myself to you later, if you don't mind.....
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Validate... I like that word...

Pics at your command...

Probally ALOT more than you wanted to see! ;)
  • shandrea4444
    shandrea4444 Posts: 10
    edited November 2005

I didn't even see the above post... ^^^^^^ :p That's ok... I don't like selling to 1st posters that much ;)

How do you expect to sell entry level HT speakers without wanting to sell to first posters? In my experience, those just entering the market generally haven't hung out in audiophile forums for a long time. Its kind of hard for one to know what the heck he's posting about if he hasn't even entered the market yet.

I'm just out of school with money for the first time. I'm looking at getting a quality set of entry level speakers. My brother has BP 10s, which sound great. But I generally don't keep the volume up too high because my wife is sensitive to high volumes and bass (headaches), so I thought the BP 6 may make a good speaker. Although my room is not small (15'x24' with a 8' opening to hallway and staircase -- and a 160" screen from my Panasonic AE700 :) ), so now reading your comments I'm not sure that the bp6's are big enough.

So what is your reason for not wanting to sell to first time posters? Because you don't trust them? Are they not worthy?

You listed a price for local pickup, but I didn't see where you live. Is it listed somewhere? Again, I'm new, so sorry you have to deal with questions. But I figure I better get posting now, so that I won't be a first time poster anymore.
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    North Carolina.

I'm fairly cautious of first time posters - be it buying or selling. Why? Because there is alot of fraud. So - if you have an Audiogon or Ebay account - any thing like that would be appreciated.

HOWEVER, I do not mind you sending me a Money Order* - and it being cashed by a bank, verified - once money is in hand - the speakers will be on their way.

I don't have a thing against 1st posters, its just a matter of knowing something about people that I sell to. Its kind of like on ebay when people with zero feedback bid... you want confirmation.

As for BP6B vs. Bp10B - does your brother have the original BP10? With the soft domes? If so, you may find the BP6B has better detail than his speakers. But, his will have a better overall presentation, but I doubt you will find benefit in owning the 10B if you cant turn it up loud or dont have the proper amplification. The BP6B offers excellent detail with ALOT of slam.
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Also, if you dont listen to loudly - and can put them 2 feet from the rear wall... positioned correctly (toed in) - and have the rear drivers reflecting off a rear wall, the amount of sound they will produce will be astonishing. Bipolar speakers are more effecient in presentation since they dont lose volume from the rear reflections... - a stronger presentation.

Also, Shandrea has first dibs - if we are going by the order of post.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    ^^listen to this man if you're new

as far as Def tech he knows his stuff...

I think....haha

Good luck with the sale

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Sid is Def Tech Man...

he knows his speaks...inside and out..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Trey when someone new is the buyer, ya really can't get screwed... they send money, you send the speakers.. give a time limit to receive it, 5 days or what not and be done with it.... you can't sell em here, sounds like he wants em.. Good luck
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp