The Materials:
20"x36" Sonotube
15" Tempest
250watt Plate Amp
.75 MDF
.50x36" all thread rod
Misc. construction materials

EndCaps1.jpg
The inside end cap is .75 MDF the outer is .75 Plywood. I chose plywood for the outer cap so I can stain it black and have a nice grain finish.

EndCapsRods1.jpg
Here is the top endcap with the all-thread mounted

Inside1.jpg
An inside shot after both endcaps are installed and locked down

Size.jpg

A size thing. This gives a bit of perspective on the size. I will be adding .50 legs to the bottom and another plate. The overall height will come in at about 43" total.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Very nice work Ron, impressive woodwork ;)

So, let me know if I am correct. Subwoofer will be on bottom, downfiring, where is the amp going to rest? Also, what kind of insulation are you going to use in the baffle?

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks Steve.

Downfiring sub that is why I need to add .50 legs. I could just put legs on and leave it, but the subs look better with a plate on the bottom of the legs. The amp will rest in with all my other equipment. I plan to build a box for it. As for insulation, Poly fill material @ 16oz per cf.

If...
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Out of curiousity, is there any particular reason you chose to use a plate amp?

Very nice work. I wish I had the skill to do something like that. (You really DON'T want to se some of the stuff I've tried to build!)

Jason
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited April 2002
    Options
    G,day Ron, is that a glass of beer in the second photo? Bro, I cannot wait for your thoughts regarding how hard your new sub kicks, keep us tuned, Kind Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    looking good ron! thanks for posting your progress. it's gonna be a monster sub!
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Out of curiousity, is there any particular reason you chose to use a plate amp?
    Yep, 105 bones, new. Hard to pass up. Plus these come highly recommended by members over at the Home Theater Forum.
    is that a glass of beer in the second photo?
    Ohhh hell ya! Orchard Street Pale Ale.

Tomorrow, I hope to get the Tempest installed and wired up, the legs and bottom plate attached and the box built for the amp.

If...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Nice driver. That Tempest is supposed to be able to get over 120db room and 115db anechoic. I'm thinking about trying the Adire HE10.1 kit. Good luck. It looks great so far.

What amp are you using?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm with Jason here -- they don't call me Mr. Fixit for nothing.

Where did you get the information for this kit Ron -- or is it kind of your thing?
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Mark, I am using a 250 watt plate amp from MCM Electronics.

Dean, check this link for quite a few SonoSub projects. These beasts are really popular among D.I.Y.r's. They are supposed to be able to compete with top-dollar subs. Guess I'll find out in a week or two.

If...
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ron how are you going to atach the pollyfill and are you going to make it a sealed or are you going to port it?
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Going, I plan to attach the polyfill to the sides of the sonotube using 3M spray glue.

The sub will be sealed. I had the space for a larger enclosure and sealed will provide some really good low end. I used the Q designs recommended by Adire and their sealed Tempest applications. The graph below shows two different enclosures and how low each will go. The blue line represents a sealed sub at 6.3cf, mine will come in right about 6.4cf. I should have no problem getting below 18Hz.

The amp is ready. Heres a pic. I built the enclosure out of left over .75 MDF.
    Amp1.jpg

If...
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I wanted to make a couple of DIY subs, but I simply didn't have the time.:mad:

We're all looking forward to a full review when yours are finished.:cool:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I love it ,I really love it.Building your own sub.....so cool!!
    Ron I really hope it turn's out good for you.I would love to take on a project like that.One day I want to build my own speaker's.If it work's out....PARTY AT YOUR PLACE??
    DAN
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited April 2002
    Options
    So... by the looks of your graph—
    -3db around 27 Hz?
    That's not extremely low; am I reading it wrong?

Give War A Chance
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Actually, at the same time I was asking, you were posting the fact that that amp was only $105. SWEET deal!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ron, looks like a fun project. 15" Tempest --never heard of them.
    The actual structure of that sub looks really weak. Small magnet for a 15". You should be able to hit pretty low with it though.
    Very interested in how it will sound. Looks Cool!!!!:cool:
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Looks real good Ron. Looks like it will sond awsome by the graph. Were did ya get the amp?

Chrisnody.gif
    Chris :)
  • pensacola
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Looks like Ron-P is either VERY busy working on that sub, or in a drunken stuper.
    Unable to join us, either way.:p

Give War A Chance
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Looks like Ron-P is either VERY busy working on that sub, or in a drunken stuper.

Let us toast to the later! :D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • goingganzo
    edited April 2002
    Options
    the amp box looks very good
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Where are you seeing a 3db down point at 27Hz? 3 db down from what?

Based on the graph, and that driver, and that enclosure, and then room loaded....He should easily be subsonic...and at a reasonable level to boot...

Cheers,
    Russ

Kick **** job Ron, keep the documentation going...and hey, if it is your design, NAME it...put the plans out...people WILL build your sub.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • pensacola
    edited April 2002
    Options
    >>Where are you seeing a 3db down point at 27Hz? 3 db down from what?

I should have said more like 30 Hz.
    With the reference being 105 db, the -3 db point would be at a level of 102 db. Looking at the black line, that puts the -3 db point at around 30 Hz. If that graph is simply theoretical, then you're right... the room's bass-boost will affect that lower limit. I was simply commenting on the graph.

Give War A Chance
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I agree. The graph definitely shows the sub starting to roll off at 40Hz. and is 3dB down by 28-29Hz. That doesn't seem that impressive for a 15" driver. This makes me wonder how they got these measurements. I would assume the driver was in an enclosure, but what size? Sealed or ported?

Aaron
  • pensacola
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That graph looks a little too clean to be an in-room measured response (no normal room is THAT well-behaved), so I'm assuming it's theoretical—computer-generated. I was also looking at the black line, and his sub is going to be closer to the blue line. Not a big diff between the two, though.

Give War A Chance
  • goingganzo
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i played with thoes grafs when i was thinming of bulding one but i got my weekends taken over my helping ut my frend he is finishing his basement the graf looks a little off that sub should hit at least 110db
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I wish I was working a lot on the sub or in a drunken state. Had a major family emergency on Sunday that is still on going. Today, being home from work, I had a little time alone to put in some effort and testing.

First off, that graph is not very accurate. It is a generalization that someone did for me. With my current setup I should come in right about 18Hz.

Well, I can tell you I hit it. I just got her hooked up and ran a few disks thru and let me say HOLY ****! That about sums it up for right now. The Velodyne sounds like it is a 6" midbass driver compared. I wanted to get her up and running before I did any finish work. It is now back in the shed getting stained and then carpet. I cannot wait to get this thing dialed in a properly calibrated.

sonosub1.jpg

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    looking good ron! that thing is coming together in a flash!

hope all is well with the family emergency...
  • goingganzo
    edited April 2002
    Options
    you realey thinkyour sono sub puts the velo to shame and do you think it will get beter when it is broken in? and how much did you spend for the tube sob amp and mdfb and i hope everything gets beter soon
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks guys. Had a rough couple of days, but the emergency is over and all it getting back to normal.

Going, this thing really puts the Velo to shame. I have never felt bass as what this thing produces. My shirt sleeves were vibrating. I had it turned up to high at first and my guts vibrated. I kid you not, this thing kicks major "bass" ****. I am very impressed. It is out in the garage now getting stained and then the fabric goes on and she is complete.

Yes, it will get better when broken in.

The amp was $105
    The 15" Tempest was $148
    The MDF was $21
    The sonotube was $30
    Misc stuff, plywood, screws, glue, caulking, stain, fabric all that sort of stuff was about another $40

If...