SonoSub construction begins....a few pics

Options
2»

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but what is a sonotube? What is it supposed to be used for?

Aaron
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That's really, really amazing Ron. You've totally got me thinking the velodyne I want to buy is not the right move. :) I can't wait to see the pics once it's all pretty looking :D
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    a sonotube is used to as a form for concrete the place i used to work for we sold sizes from 10" up to 56" and most of them come in 12 foot sections.

scott:cool:
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    You've totally got me thinking the velodyne I want to buy is not the right move.
    You will save yourself a ton of coin and out preform the Velo.

A tube shape is very strong for resisting internal pressure, more so than any box design. Boxes flex because every panel has a different resistance at any given point. Tubes have the same resistance at every point. So, if you can get past the large ugly tube sitting there, you have the perfect sub enclosure.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Believe me, I'm already thinking about this. You get a killer sub for very cheap, and you get to spend time on a fun (albeit difficult) project. I may be in! :)
  • bkleinke
    bkleinke Posts: 51
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Very cool Ron!

I've got one of those little SVS subs that everyone at HTF likes to talk about :) Someday when I actually own woodworking tools I want to try building my own sub. But right now I don't have any space to put a sub that big, heck the 39" SVS isn't exactly small and barely fits.

Brian