Woohoo!!!

124»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    LOL! He's talking about Audiobanh. Thats what he runs and he feels guilty about it so he gets a little defensive whenver somebody pokes fun at Audioblah....bahn. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    Audioblah rocks! I love the way the chrome flames on the amp rattle when the bass hits. Booyah!

P-Thuggy
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    we had a guy come into the shop yesterday who had 4 15s, 3 quantums and 1 memphis in a wall in his x-cab s-10. his amp was, you guessed it, a flaming piece of **** audiocrap. he wants to get metered. hes telling us its so loud it made his ears bleed. we set up the term lab mic for him. his best number was 139.00. I can hit that in my truck with my 2 12s with 1kw. he said he was pushing 1.7kw. fuggin ****
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    LOL! He's talking about Audiobanh. Thats what he runs and he feels guilty about it so he gets a little defensive whenver somebody pokes fun at Audioblah....bahn. :D

Oh, well. I apologize for my over reaction, then. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Years of experience and wisdom......j/k

You can tell by the sound. In my case the mid was overpowering the tweeter.
    Just curious, are you running the same wattage to both speakers? I'm running 50 x 4 watts to my old db components and my tweeters are killing my mids. I always thought the other way until I tried turning down the tweeter last week. Sounds wayy better, I still can't believe my ears.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Well theyre getting the same wattage but their gains are different. Right now my mids gain is set at about 10:00 and my tweeter is about 8:00. The only time I ever had my tweets set higher was with my MM6's. The mids were running full range and were a little harsh in the upper frequencies so I turned down my treble to -4 db and centered on its lowest setting (10KHz) and to compensate I turned my tweeters gain up more than the mids. It worked well.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    My paper towel trick didnt work. The tweeter is still not angled in enough. While Im getting more from it its still off axis enough to be missing out.

Guitar parts that should be coming from both left and right are coming from the right side mostly. Its not horrible and I doubt most people would even notice but its bugging the hell out of me.

My last trick is to try to swivel the tweeters inside the mounting cup. Its a tight squeeze to get them into the cup then you turn them to lock them into place so if I dont lock them there will be enough tension to keep them in and maybe I can angle them back enough.

• audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Hmm. Really makes you wonder why Polk didn't make a swiveling cup for the SR6500 tweeter. I think they missed the boat on that one.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    are these the same size as the mm's? theyre smaller arent they? check partsexpress.com for a tweeter mount maybe??
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    I was pretty sure the SR6500 tweeters were actually larger. No, wait. I'm thinking about how they compare to the HA ring radiator tweeter. Hmm. I think they're larger than the ones in the LSi series. Don't know how they compare to the MM series tweeters, though.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    if i wasnt lazy id look it up
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    ^ +1
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    If I weren't so lazy, I would have actually typed a message...but...alas...I am lazy...

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    you might catch up to me too if you keep pulling crap like that;)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I already thought of that and tried to fit them in the MM6 cup but they dont fit.

Ill try moving them around inside their cup and if that doesnt work Im sticking them back in the dash and either shelling out $50 or so for some A pillars out of a junk yard or figure out some creative way to hide my "holes of shame".

• audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Go check out the forum testing area. I think I'm catching up! LOL`
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    The SR tweeters are deeper, so a cup like we usually use couldn't be used.

Have you tried firing them more towards the headliner? That might even it out a bit.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Havent tried that yet. Right now theyre firing pretty much at each other. Thats as far as they would go.

If I turn them to where theyre angled toward the roof then they will also turn toward the windshield and away from me. My A pillars have a ridiculous angle to them. If I were to flush mount them they would fire virtually straight into the windshield! This is not a very stereo friendly truck.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    cut the back of the cups and hot glue it, these tweeters fit in the stock location of the g/f''s civic perfectly, are you saying you cant even fabricate something better than honda?? you no longer deserve an american made truck, give it to me. then ill sell it, and sell mine, get a new z-71 and with the money left over ill put to amps:D
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    whoa - i missed a lot of posts here...

audio-blah amps are dog ****... the speakers aren't bad. they're not nearly as friendly on the ears as the polks though. the 3 1/2 mids aren't doing their rated frequency response at rated wattage without rattling (the speaker basket is not rattling in the mounting hole, but the actual cone is vibrating out of control - if that makes any sense, i dont know how else to describe the condition other than if you took like a 10 watt speaker and put about 50 watts on it). So i had to high pass them at about 400-ish with a shallower slope (6 db instead of 12). original was like 200 and 12 db. at this setting they do what i want them to do very well - they're aimed right at the dash mac and i kinda like the response they give - you might wanna reconsider mounting the SR tweets to shoot straight up at the dash, it does spread across quite nicely and doesn't seem to have one side overpowering the other (like if u sit in driver side u dont just hear driver side tweet). but once again - it'll be a cold day in hell before i run an audio-blah amp. i would have to be shot dead, somebody steal my truck and while my dead carcass was trying to revive itself to stop them, they'd sneak the amps in there... jerks.

i have gooder news though...

I SOLVED MY OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well actually my fake uncle jack did.

we tore down the ogirinal motor with the cracked block and he's lookin at it goin, "there's nothing in here that we didn't put in the new one, and there's nothing that looks different other than the obviously worn parts in here"

so he's thinkin, bums a cigarette from me and goes, "that **** can't have an air lock could it..."

so i reassembled the bottom end of the new motor - started the truck with the mechanical oil gauge still hooked to it - and then after like 2 or 3 minutes i disconnected the gauge from the little plastic sender tube thingy... gave it about a minute and the damn thing started to fill up with oil. i let it run for like 5 more minutes, shut it down - hooked the gauge up - 35 pounds at 2,000 rpm. 4 pounds at idle. i still have some more little baby bubbles in there, but i didn't want it to run longer cuz it was like 9 at night. tomorrow i'm gonna run it for like half an hour at 2k rpm (the reccomended break in procedure - total runtime on the motor so far is only like 15-20 minutes at vaious rpm - no load, never in gear - they tell u to do like 30 min at 2k rpm to "heat treat" the seals and **** and then u do another half hour at varying rpm's for 5 min each - like 1000, 1200, 1500, 2500, 500, etc). do a little more bubble bleeding and hopefully i'll be sittin pretty.

ideally i guess the newer 318's have like 30-40 pounds at idle and 40 to 80 from 1,000 rpm up to redline. but the service manual only states that the motor is in good working order with regards to oil pressure if you have 6 pounds at idle and 30 pounds at 2k rpm. i think that's a little weak - i'm gonna bleed it till i see 10 pounds at idle (750 rpm) and then i'll stop - the rest of the air can work itself out over time... if i dont get 10 pounds, i'm going to do some more investigating - both in research and in the actual motor.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Sweet!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I think I will eventually have to put them back in the dash. It did offer the best comination of SQ and imaging. Everytime I talk myself into leaving them in the pillars I go for a drive and realize how much Im missing on the left channel. All I have to do is lean over to the middle of the truck and its like "Wow! Theres a whole lot of music coming from that side!"

The best SQ was with them mounted in the sail panels but the imaging was horrible. Very side biased with a huge hole right of center.

I wish I didnt want to compete. I wouldve left them in the dash and been done with it. In fact I wish Id never heard of imaging!

And yes, Cody I doubt I could fabricate something as good as Honda. Im sure I could glass a mounting spot on there with little problem other than it would look like total ****!

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    honestly - i'm not one for competition at all - only because SQ comps are so "nitpicky" that you end up trying to do stuff with your vehicle that makes you not enjoy it as much as if you'd just did was "sounds most awesome to you and your passengers".
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Yeah theyre nitpicky but they have to be. You have to have a standard by which to judge vehicles other than just sitting in one and saying "hell yeah! This one kicks ****!"

Its not really too many obstacles really. Youre soundstage and imaging are the most difficult things to get right. As long as youre using a high quality set of speakers and decent amplification, youll have good tonal quality. Its getting the stage eye level and the left, right and center properly located which is hard as hell in a car.

Mark Eldridge did something that is pretty ingenius albeit not practical. He installed his mids and tweeters under the hood on the fenderwell and cut openings in the firewall for the sound to come thru. This made the distance between both pretty much equal. Great idea.....until it rains!

• MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    YES!

Did it! I took the angle cups and basically just swiveled the tweeter inside it. Each tweeter has 2 little clips and you set them into grooves and turn them to lock them into the cup. I laid the tweeter in angled as far as it would go and used the outside clip to rest agaisnt the outside of the cup to keep the tweeter from being pulled by the mounting braket.

I then screwed on the mounting bracket (or spider or whatever it is) and its done!! Now instead of firing slightly toward the windshield, theyre both firing at the opposite sail panel.

Its still not perfect as I would like to have em aiming to the opposite head rest but this is close enough that Im not going to worry about it anymore.

I didnt listen very long but on my trusty Liquid Tension 2 demo CD the snare which is in the center was right smack in front of me at eye level. The left and right still arent perfect but I bet you theyre as good as you can get using the stock mid locations.

Like I said, I didnt want to drive around and listen cause after 12 hours of slinging 1000 cases of beer (yes 1000!!) Im freaking tired and all I wanted to do was come in the house and play Max Payne!

Hooray for me! Now I get to keep my tweeters in the A pillars and dont have to figure out how to hide my "holes of shame"!!

Hmph! Who need surface mount cups. Those are for sissies! :D

Oh yeah, I took out the paper towels too. :p

• audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Awesome! Congrats, Mac!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    duct tape - paper towels - and 1000 cases of beer - the solution to all things bad in the world. and now apparently to audio probelms