• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    hell yes for **** installers!
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited August 2005
    congrats MacLeod, i want to ear that soon in my country too, but the best here ar the mmc6500s
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    if you screw up - buy new a pillars... they're only 50 each in a boneyard dude.

Thats a damn good idea. Kinda embarassed I didnt think of that. My truck is still kinda new but Im sure there are bunches of em in my local junkyard.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    yea, im sure we all know how stupid some of the dodge owners out there are!
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    yea, im sure we all know how stupid some of the dodge owners out there are!
    -Cody

Haha! For sure!! ...please don't hurt me...please don't hurt me...

Sounds like a pretty awesome HT set-up you're after. Good luck!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    u're all ****. :P

most of the newer model rams in boneyards are victims of fire, theft and destruction, or total wrecks. surprisingly enough, i've seen more than i would have expected. it surprised the hell out of me to see a 2 - 3 model year old vehicle having so many wrecks. people msut just be retarded these days.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    even vince, "poweredbydodge" is working for ford!!!!

although i do believe dodge to be better than ford
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    No he's not. His conscience finally got to him and made him quit.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    OK. Finally took the plunge and installed my supersweet tweeters in the A pillars and ya know what? IT **** SUCKS! :mad:

These things have very little off axis response and now the left tweeter is much quieter than the right one so most of my music is now coming from the right tweeter. I did listen to them before installing them by taping the tweets in place and it didnt sound bad, but apparantly I had them angles in more towards me or maybe I was just sure this was the best way to go since all the good SQ cars had the tweets in the A pillars. Why shouldnt it work for me? Because God hates me, thats why!

I cant believe it but they sounded 10 times better in both SQ and imaging when they were mounted in the dash and firing into the windshield! Im so pissed right now. Now Ive got 2" holes in both A pillars and a **** up stage and worse SQ than I had before! And on top of that, I glued the right tweet's grill in place but I had the tweet positioned wrong so the logo is now crooked! :mad: :mad:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank whoever at Polk decided NOT to offer a surface mount cup or one that swivels. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is a valuable lesson. Dont ever try to have a competitive SQ setup in a full size truck!!! Just stick some coaxials in the doors and a bunch of subs in the bed and be one of those **** that make everybody hate car stereo guys. There is no way I can compete with it like this. Now if youll excuse me Im going to go cry.

• MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I did manage to take some pictures. This was of course before I turned it on to realize I had just ruined not only my A pillars but also my entire sound quality!

And yes, I still have my MM6 tweets installed because I havent gotten around to taking them out yet and covering up the holes.
    a1.jpg 21.4K
    a2.jpg 26.7K
    a3.jpg 27.6K

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    there is good news, now you can try all sorts of different angles and drill as many holes as you want and not have to worry
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    wrong spot dude. normally i wouldn't say that because i dont know the car, but this is in dodge trucks.

they need to be more "backward" - like further from the windshield and more toward the driver and passenger.

i did "psuedo a pillars" - i used surface cups in the dash right where it meets the a pillar and aimed the tweets to meet in the center like where the center console arm wrest is - sounded SWEET.

ford sucks. i pity the owners.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    OK. Finally took the plunge and installed my supersweet tweeters in the A pillars and ya know what? IT **** SUCKS! :mad:

These things have very little off axis response and now the left tweeter is much quieter than the right one so most of my music is now coming from the right tweeter. I did listen to them before installing them by taping the tweets in place and it didnt sound bad, but apparantly I had them angles in more towards me or maybe I was just sure this was the best way to go since all the good SQ cars had the tweets in the A pillars. Why shouldnt it work for me? Because God hates me, thats why!

I cant believe it but they sounded 10 times better in both SQ and imaging when they were mounted in the dash and firing into the windshield! Im so pissed right now. Now Ive got 2" holes in both A pillars and a **** up stage and worse SQ than I had before! And on top of that, I glued the right tweet's grill in place but I had the tweet positioned wrong so the logo is now crooked! :mad: :mad:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank whoever at Polk decided NOT to offer a surface mount cup or one that swivels. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is a valuable lesson. Dont ever try to have a competitive SQ setup in a full size truck!!! Just stick some coaxials in the doors and a bunch of subs in the bed and be one of those **** that make everybody hate car stereo guys. There is no way I can compete with it like this. Now if youll excuse me Im going to go cry.

Hay Mac, I am sorry that you are going through this man. Just keep playing with the locations like the guys suggested to see where it will sound the best. That sucks that you can't mount it like the MM tweeter.

By the way you did'nt punch your windshield from being pissed did you :eek: J/K :) .
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    wrong spot dude. normally i wouldn't say that because i dont know the car, but this is in dodge trucks.

they need to be more "backward" - like further from the windshield and more toward the driver and passenger.

Actually Vin, that spot is just about perfect, kind of. The stage is right at eye level now and seems to extend beyond the windshield. The problem is the angle of the tweeters, they need to be facing in more. Right now Im getting 100% of the right tweet and only 60% of the left so my stage is shifted to the right dramatically with a gaping hole from the center of the steering wheel to the door.

If I could angle in the tweeters just a smidge more to where I was getting 80-90% of the left tweeter I think it would make my stage virtually perfect! Im going to experiment with it some in the coming days. Maybe I can angle the tweeter inside the cup some. After listening to it today and realizing how good my stage is now (minus it being off center) Im determined to make it work...plus they really look cool mounted there....even with the crooked logo! :D

So far Ive had tweets in the sail panels and in the stock mid locations in the dash.

The sail panels had the best SQ since there was little reflection off the glass but the stage was horrible and had little depth. Center and left were virtually on top of each other shifted to the left too much and a big hole about the middle of the dash.

The stock dash locations had good width spanning the entire dash with no holes but the center was a little off to the left again but not nearly as bad as with the sails. The depth was better but still didnt go beyond the windshield. The SQ suffered a bit from reflection off the glass but it was tolerable.

In the A's, like I said, my height and depth is better than its ever been. Almost perfect, which is saying a lot with the mids so high up in the doors. The little bit of harshness from the dash location is now gone but its a little thin as Im basically listening to only one tweeter.

If worse comes to worse, I can always go down to Radio Clinic and have them 'glass me up some mounts that are angled properly but I havent given up on figuring it out myself. The competition in Sept Im entering wont be anything major so Ill still enter and see how it goes. Who knows, I may be the only one there without an install from Best Buy! :p
    By the way you did'nt punch your windshield from being pissed did you J/K

Nah, that was from my MM6 installation! :D

• MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    HA! All this time I thought duct tape was the greatest tool in the universe. Now? Paper towels!

I figured out my problem was the left tweeter needed to be angled in a little more. OK. The severe angle of the A pillars was too much for the supplied angle cup to overcome so I needed a mounting cup with a deeper angle......or an A pillar with a more shallow angle. Hmmmmm.

If only I could move the A pillar out some. So I took it off and stuffed some sheets of wadded up paper towels beind it and ya know what? It works! I was able to angle the pillar in enough to aim the tweeter more on axis! Its still not perfect though as the right tweet is firing almost directly at me so Im getting it full on axis but Im getting enough of the left tweet that it has pulled the stage more to the left. The right side is still overpowering a little more but there isnt a gaping hole to the left of the steering wheel anymore! Hooray for a little southern ingenuity....and Bounty!

Another tweak that helped was wiring the mids out of phase. They are closer to the tweets and I could tell that I was hearing them first. Sticking them out of phase also thickened up the SQ more so Im a happy guy again! Yeah me!

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    how u wire the mids out of phase? :?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Ya take the negative wire
    Ya put it in the postivie terminal
    Ya take the positive wire
    Ya put it in the negative terminal
    Ya do the hoky poky and ya shake it all about

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2005
    take the positive wire (on the amp) and plug it into the negative terminal on the speaker.

Take the negative wire (on the amp) and plug it into the positive terminal on the speaker.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I liked my jingle better. :p

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    :)
    so that is defasated 180º ?

ill receive the c400.4 the monday :)
    and the 500.1 the friday

i will have a lot of work next week :)

and hope you guys help me to tweak the sound
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Yup. With the mids out of phase they fire a split second behind the tweeters allowing the sound to get to your ears roughly the same time as the tweeters.

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    ok.....

and how u know that you need to do that? i mean have you some music/sound to test it? or just u know the music that you are listening and know that are out of phase?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Years of experience and wisdom......j/k

You can tell by the sound. In my case the mid was overpowering the tweeter. In a lot of music sections it sounded like, well its hard to explain. Disconnect your tweets and listen to just the mids and remember that sound. If you hear that sound rather than a perfect mix of that and the tweeters output then the mid is overpowering.

You can also tell by the stage. My mids are in my doors and in some midrange sections the stage would fall to the floor. Thats also a good indicator the mids are hitting you before the tweets.

The same process goes for the tweeters. If theyre mounted closer to you than the mids you could have the same problems.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Years of experience and wisdom
    so back to the original question, how did YOU know?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    LMAO!!!

I just get no respect around here! :p

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    yea you do! youre a "Polk Master"!!!!
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:

So you gonna go down to BB and get some Audiobahn stuff? If so, I'll PM you my address so you can send me your SR6500s! :D:D:D:D

Seriously, though, I'm glad you've got your set-up sounding better. You're right! They do look cool mounted on the a-pillars!
    exalted512 wrote:
    so back to the original question, how did YOU know?
    -Cody

LOL
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    hey hey hey - leave audio-blah out of this.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    :eek: :mad: :confused::( :mad:

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    And that's audiobliss to you! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]