WAF-Wife Acceptance Factor

13»

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »

But if you are immature, selfish & have backward priorities, and never plan to change, then by all means, STAY SINGLE!:p ;):D

Wow, that was a burning knife right into my side.......I'm gonna go lie down now. :eek:
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited August 2007
    Yo Darque,
    From the looks of your showcase, your crib looks tastefully appointed with all the gear in place. I dont see why she should have any issues, but then again, I am getting divorced.:p
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Wow Darque, I just looked at your showcase, absolutely incredible sound equipment and nice house.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    Maurice wrote: »
    Yo Darque,
    From the looks of your showcase, your crib looks tastefully appointed with all the gear in place. I dont see why she should have any issues, but then again, I am getting divorced.:p

I agree, very nice showcase. A lot of rooms devoted to AV, though. I can see a woman wanting at least one big room without an SDA towering over her. But at least you're setting up the expectations on pretty firm ground...;)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2007
    Maurice wrote: »
    ...your crib looks tastefully appointed with all the gear in place. I dont see why she should have any issues,.....

A lot of women just aren't into audio/video gear and can't stand the sight of it, no matter how tasefully it's done. If they are not watching/listening, they want it out of sight. Even worse than this is the girlfriend who enthusiastically enjoys your great big stero and/or HT rig, but as soon as she becomes a wife, all that stereo stuff is taking up too much room in "her" house.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    I can see a woman wanting at least one big room without an SDA towering over her.

And she certainly can have it. I'm all for moving to a bigger house with dedicated 2 channel and HT rooms. :D
    A lot of rooms devoted to AV, though.

Not really. Out of the fifteen rooms in my house, only three (the living room, den, and master bedroom) have a lot of AV gear. I was going to take down the MBR system, but was asked not to.
    But at least you're setting up the expectations on pretty firm ground...;)

Everyone has their "vice". I think audio is a relatively benign one. On the plus side, I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, or chase (or catch) whores.:;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    On the plus side, I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, or chase (or catch) whores.:;)

Liar!:p
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Just being honest & straightforward and calling a spade a spade buddy. But I think you are going to be just fine. You are going to NE & holding down a job all at the same time, so you obviously have a plan for your life, which is a good thing.

It is simply unreal how many men & women just never bother to grow up & just keep going down hill & try to drag others with them!:eek:

I don't have the patience for either of them. The older you get the less drama you want in your life.
    Wow, that was a burning knife right into my side.......I'm gonna go lie down now. :eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2007
    It is simply unreal how many men & women just never bother to grow up
    I for one will never grow up, life is too short.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Some people should never get married. Marraige is not just a document, it is a way of life. cfrizz, you said it all right a number of times. Some people just don't get it I guess.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    You are going to NE & holding down a job all at the same time, so you obviously have a plan for your life, which is a good thing.

Thanks. NEU will be all done this April.......finally.

Hopefully I can convert my job into a full time position with acceptable salary for living so I can get my own place.......the living with the parents thing is old news.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    WTG! Crossing my fingers for you Mark!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    WTG! Crossing my fingers for you Mark!

haha mine have been crossed for the last 5 years of this journey....

anyway back to the WAF!!! it's scary! i want nothing to do with it right now haha
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited August 2007
    Plenty of issues with my wife and the various systems, she HATES change!

Early on, my friends might have predicted that my wife wouldn't let me do any hobby type stuff, but I'd say I have the WAF under control.

After more than 4 years of sharing the same home, I've figured out a few things. 1-Make changes in small steps. 2. Don't bring in ugly gear. 3-don't make any changes that radically affect how things work. 4-women don't like stand mounted speakers.

We've also pretty much agreed that as long as I can self-finance my upgrades through profitable buy/fix/sell transactions, I can upgrade to my heart's content. She did cry for a little while when she saw me wheeling in the Mirage M3 on a dolly, but she loves the way the sound and realized that they don't look that bad in the room.

Lets see...since being married, I've managed to upgrade the HT receiver a couple notches, go from small micro satellite speakers to floor stander fronts and full size bookshelves on the side/rear, added a huge SVS tube sub, better DVD player, 2 HDTVs, AND build a somewhat respectable 2-channel system from the ground up, get into vinyl and fly through 4 turntables in just over a year finally settling on the 5th. Accumulated about 800 vinyl albums and also managed to put more than $2000 back into the bank from a handful of my more profitable gear sales.

Of course, during that same time, she got the new bedroom decorations/duvet set, a Bernhardt dining set, Natuzzi leather set in the living room, hardwood nursery furniture, a new minivan, etc.

Like Cathy said, we've got everything in order, our house is kept up and well decorated, we have savings, our son is well provided for, etc.

Really, this is one of my only hobbies that remains these days; and, its a hobby that keeps me at home where I can spend time with her and our son, unlike many other hobbies.

It doesn't hurt that she is a huge music lover too. She had as many CDs as I did and we still love getting out to hear live music, nothing beats it.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    Out of the fifteen rooms in my house, only three (the living room, den, and master bedroom) have a lot of AV gear. I was going to take down the MBR system, but was asked not to.

Now are you counting bathrooms? 'Cause although it would be crazy cool to have enough excess to have big SDAs even in a room that small, it would be perfectly understandable for a woman to run out of the house screaming after seeing them...:D.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Well done Bill!!! And I agree with the fact that I do NOT like stand mounted speakers!

Cheddar...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    I find it funny. My parents have a Bose. When they come over my step mom says, I like the sound it's like being in a theatre. In the same breath she turns to my wife and says, wow you must love him to have such big speakers in your place.

Ok so you like the sound but hate the size, you like the size of yours but don't enjoy it...Hmmmm

My wife would agree that she prefers the towers over speaker stands.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Now are you counting bathrooms? 'Cause although it would be crazy cool to have enough excess to have big SDAs even in a room that small, it would be perfectly understandable for a woman to run out of the house screaming after seeing them...:D.

When I get my own place to live an LCD tv and some speakers are definately going into the potty room.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

I guess the small speaker genetic encoding just skipped over me!:D :D:D

Willow wrote: »
    I find it funny. My parents have a Bose. When they come over my step mom says, I like the sound it's like being in a theatre. In the same breath she turns to my wife and says, wow you must love him to have such big speakers in your place.

Ok so you like the sound but hate the size, you like the size of yours but don't enjoy it...Hmmmm

My wife would agree that she prefers the towers over speaker stands.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

I guess the small speaker genetic encoding just skipped over me!:D :D:D

My fiance' talked me into making room for lsi15s over the 9s I had planned for. I really don't have room to set them up right, but hey she insisted :)

Since I'm braggin on her she also surprised me with tickets to the police this summer. I think I'll keep her. :D
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited August 2007
    My first wife was a pain in the ****. That's why I have a second wife. She's perfect.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    My first wife was a pain in the ****. That's why I have a second wife. She's perfect.

You have 2 wives? thats kinda badass......grats
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »

Are you running duals or did you trade up for a new model. :D
    Sometimes I think the WAF is a good thing. It stops me from just running amuck with buying new toys.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited August 2007
    Me: Honey I bought some new speakers
    Wife: Didn't you just buy new speakers?
    Me: Yes, but these are better.
    Wife: Pretends to the ignore existence of new speakers

And that's how it goes with all my audio purchases.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited August 2007
    most people accept my wife well.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2007
    I can't complain too much, I've had a few hobbies that ultimately I've spent as much if not more on than this one, and she begrudgingly goes along with all of them.

It was nice when SHE decided we needed a 50" plasma, and completely agreed with me when I said then we need to upgrade everything else from our old 2ch to ht to go along with it.

The only thing that stayed was the M10's, and I'm working on that one too.

Oh, and now SHE wants a flat screen for the our bedroom too. :)
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited August 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    ... Oh, and now SHE wants a flat screen for the our bedroom too. :) ...
    Yep ... I have the same "problem" here ... and yes ... apparently size does matter ... :D