Plz Help Me!!!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok im really confused.. so i got the polk 6 and a half inch db6500 componet speaker set.. and i have no idea where the wires go! like on the cross over thing.. i know that the tweeter wires hook up to the crossover and im just confused about where to put the woofer wire at and the input... i have a connector and a long wire and the tweeter ... plz someone help me .. where to put the wires at... i would appretiate it thx.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2004
    RTFM :D
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    What does RTFM mean?

Im not sure if this is a gag or not but its pretty simple. The single wire goes to the amp or head unit. The tweeter wire goes to the tweeter. The mid wire goes to the mid. You cant get them mixed up cause the tweet wire's terminal ends will only fit on the tweet. Likewise with the mid wire.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    What does RTFM mean?

Im not sure if this is a gag or not but its pretty simple. The single wire goes to the amp or head unit. The tweeter wire goes to the tweeter. The mid wire goes to the mid. You cant get them mixed up cause the tweet wire's terminal ends will only fit on the tweet. Likewise with the mid wire.
    You can make anything fit together.. :D:D If you prepare it enough. Maybe he has put some extra elbow lube on it to make it all fit wrong.

I'm sure there is a wiring diagram sumwhere dogg. just lookit up homey.

www.google.com

Get Money and stack papers

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    RTFM :D

Read The F
    Manual.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited December 2004
    Read The F
    Manual.

:D
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Read The F
    Manual.

Whats a manual? ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited December 2004
    Heh the manual didnt help me... all it is , is pictures! need more detailed "words" to help where to put the wires at... see i dont have a amp so i cant hook the input to a "amp" all that i am confused about is where in the back of my cd player do i hook the input to?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    You hook the x-over's inputs to your head units outputs.

Get your h/u's manual and find the front speaker outputs, then find them coming out of the back of your head unit and voila.

• Systems
    edited December 2004
    hmm that info helps alot man.. but theres a problem for me.. my dam manual is gone for my headunit... i think my mom threw it away or some ****.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2004
    Ok heres the way i see it.. u connect the tweeter wires to the crossover where it says tweeter.. connect the woofers to the woofer spot on the crossover.. and the input is where it gets tricky... like say if i was connecting the front right speaker i would have to run a wire from the crossover to the "front Right speaker" wire in the headunit wires. so you have to splice which ever wire and soder it on? right?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Dude, I dont mean to be a dick but youre making this too hard.

The x-over has one wire in and two wires out. The one for the tweeter goes to the tweeter. The one for the mid goes to the mid. The one going in goes to the head unit or amp. If it is a right front speaker, it should go to the right front output off the head unit.

You dont have to solder anything unless you just want to.

No manual? Heres what you do. On the head unit, find the 8 wires that are in pairs. Like blue and blue with white stripe. Then purple and purple with white stripe and so on. There will be 4 sets of wires like these. These are your speaker wires. Hook up the mid to one of these pairs and then turn your balance all the way to the left and fader all the way to the front. If the music goes away continue till you find the right one and then right it down (i.e. purple=left rear).

After you determine your left and right front, hook them to the input wire of the x-over.

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    Just becareful not to do it wrong.... i suggest getting help man.....

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Its pretty much idiot proof tho. He knows which is the mid and tweet wire. That leaves only one left and that has to be the input. Hell I even think theyre labeled!

• Systems
    edited December 2004
    Well u kno the long wire that comes with the speaker set? well does that go to the woofers or is it for the input? my guess is for the input.. but not to sure... so what u are saying is hook the mid/woofer wire to the right/front or left/front.. or what ever.. in the back of the headunit where the wires are?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2004
    gray:RF+
    gray w/ stripe:RF-

white:LF+
    whitw w/ stripe:LF-

purple:RR+
    purple w/ stripe:RR-

green:LR+
    green w/ stripe:LR-

BTW, this is pretty basic stuff. If you don't have that much car audio knowledge, you may want to consider professional installation. You don't want to fry stuff.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Youre killing me.

OK, this is as simple as I can make it.

-You got your head unit.
    -Next you got the speaker output wires coming FROM the head unit.
    -Take the left front + and - and hook them to the input of the x-over for the speakers youre going to be using for the left front. One side has a single set of wires and the other side has 2 sets. The one with a single set is the input. The head unit speaker wires go there.
    -You got your mid output and tweeter output.
    -Mid output goes to the big speaker.
    -Tweeter output goes to the little speaker.

Seriously, you should take these to Circuit City or somewhere and let them install them.

• jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by Brent
    Well u kno the long wire that comes with the speaker set? well does that go to the woofers or is it for the input? my guess is for the input.. but not to sure... so what u are saying is hook the mid/woofer wire to the right/front or left/front.. or what ever.. in the back of the headunit where the wires are?
    Well that long wire connects to the rear brakelight connection in the fuse box... Connect the black wire to the front headlight then the red wire to the windshield wiper connection... After this if there is a green wire.. look for any green wire under the dashboard and splice it in there... if there is a yellow wire from the head unit connect it to any red or purple wire under the dashboard, make sure you solder it so the connection is solid... unhook the antenna and connect that to the airconditioning duct instead. And one last thing make sure you connect any other color wires to the engine computer... That should do wonders right there... If it doesnt work.. just go to Circuit City and pay them 35 bucks to install the speakers for you.. but do it my way and you will definitely be ENTERTAINED!!!
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • swerve
    edited December 2004
    ummm how about not....

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by jamas33
    Well that long wire connects to the rear brakelight connection in the fuse box... Connect the black wire to the front headlight then the red wire to the windshield wiper connection... After this if there is a green wire.. look for any green wire under the dashboard and splice it in there... if there is a yellow wire from the head unit connect it to any red or purple wire under the dashboard, make sure you solder it so the connection is solid... unhook the antenna and connect that to the airconditioning duct instead. And one last thing make sure you connect any other color wires to the engine computer... That should do wonders right there... If it doesnt work.. just go to Circuit City and pay them 35 bucks to install the speakers for you.. but do it my way and you will definitely be ENTERTAINED!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!
    WAAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:D:D:D

• jamas33
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    ummm how about not....

-adam
    Why not? it would be very interesting. I just figured like the law of physics.. for each action there will be an equal and opposite reaction... I think those wires were put there for a purpose.. The purpose we really don't know because its from a higher being. If he takes into account the force of gravity = 9.8 m/sec(squared) and take Avogadro's number at 6 x 10 (23rd) There should be no problem at all with any of the aforementioned instructions.

(if he fails to see the humor on this I give up) :D
    Equipment List:
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by jamas33
    Why not? it would be very interesting. I just figured like the law of physics.. for each action there will be an equal and opposite reaction... I think those wires were put there for a purpose.. The purpose we really don't know because its from a higher being. If he takes into account the force of gravity = 9.8 m/sec(squared) and take Avogadro's number at 6 x 10 (23rd) There should be no problem at all with any of the aforementioned instructions.

(if he fails to see the humor on this I give up) :D
    I think it's a terrible idea..... but a better idea would be doing all that. Then going to circuit city and watch them figure it out! see now that's how i think.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Im sure the pros at CC would have it worked out in no time.

Dudes, I remember back around 1990 the CC installers were some of the best. Thats where you took it to be sure to have it done right.

Things change.

• jamas33
    edited December 2004
    I think it's a terrible idea..... but a better idea would be doing all that. Then going to circuit city and watch them figure it out! see now that's how i think.

-adam
    HAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO!!!! You know.. I might just do that.. get my brother in law's beater.. go to walmart and get some cheapo stuff.. and just mix and match wires all over the place.. then dynamat it where it doesnt need any dynamat. Take it to CC and see what they say... btw.. some of my best friend manage the Road Shop at CC so it will be a blast messin' wif em'
    Equipment List:
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    Im sure the pros at CC would have it worked out in no time.

Dudes, I remember back around 1990 the CC installers were some of the best. Thats where you took it to be sure to have it done right.

Things change.
    Rofl... Now they botch 2 out of 3 remote start installs and the customer has to return the next day.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Well Best Buy kind of whooped up on em and so they figured theyd better get away from high end products like Polk Momo, Alpine V12, MTX Thunder and get some Verge and ESA **** in. Then get rid of the commission salesmen that actually knew about the products and get $6/hr 17 year old, staple heads in that dont know ****. Im sure the install bay is the same way. :(

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    Well Best Buy kind of whooped up on em and so they figured theyd better get away from high end products like Polk Momo, Alpine V12, MTX Thunder and get some Verge and ESA **** in. Then get rid of the commission salesmen that actually knew about the products and get $6/hr 17 year old, staple heads in that dont know ****. Im sure the install bay is the same way. :(
    Hey ****... i'm that 18 year old!!!!

They pay me 8.50 though... and i'm one of the more knowledgable sales people on the floor. We have one good installer, and my manager is semi-educated.

the good installer is the only person i'd let my car be touched by.

-adam

oh yea... you don't know anything the ESA subs are actually very very good.

to eat cereal out of!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    i'm one of the more knowledgable sales people on the floor.
    thats just scary...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    thats just scary...
    -Cody
    IT"S EVEN SCARIER whenever IT APPLIES TO ALL DEPARTMENTS! BESIDES the TV's

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited December 2004
    ROFLMAO

this whole thread is cracking me up!:D
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Systems
    edited December 2004
    Hey dudes yesterday i went to my half bros home and he helped me get my speakers/tweeters/crossovers in.. i understand how to install them now.. Polk speakers are the ****.. they sound great! but all i need now is a amp... what is a good little amp i could get guys? i was thinking like a punch 50 or something..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing