A good rant thread...

Comments

• Tomasz
    Tomasz Posts: 56
    edited July 2004
    UUUUuuuu.... my turn.

Bad drivers -
    Everytime I drive to work I have to get on a road for about 10 min. that does not go through the best neighberhood but it's not that bad (I'm still alive). The good thing is that people usually drive quickly. But please please use your turning signal, they put them on ALL cars for a reason. How difficult is it to move your finger 1 inch. I use my signals all the time even when there is no one around, it's just habit. So I use my sign and what does the person it the other lane do?.... He speeds up, since now he sees me trying to merge.. he decides that no that's just not happening and I'm not worthy to be driving in front of him. Oh man that pisses me off. If I was driving a big tank I would cut him off and slam on the brakes. Oh and driving today, that didn't happen but someones car droke down before an intersection so they turned the engine off, no hazards or anything else on, and just left the car where it was. What the hell is that about, what the hell is wrong with you people.

I vote for an independed organization to drive around that can pull these people over and take away their drivers licences on the spot. Period. And maybe after a 1 year you can take a really expensive driving course and get it back.

Ok.. I feel a little better. Now.

Home:

LSi15
    LSiFX
    LSi9
    LSiC
    PSW505

Denon AVR-884
    Denon DVR-715S
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2004
    Per my previous rant....

I can't believe this guy, my coworker. He's on the phone as I type this, apparently providing investment advice to his "customers" while checking out his online investment website. Me? cleaning up his mess....I noticed one of the two payments letters he wrote was wrong....he's making a double payment of close to a million dollars, by mistake, to an "entity" that we just paid at the beginning of the month. So, and this is his logic, because I caught HIS mistake, I will write a letter explaining away HIS mistake.

Oh, I know, you are saying "Complain to your supervisor!". Well, he knows about this guy. And my supervisor's boss know about this guy. But they don't do anything about him, so there's no use in complaining. The guy is too entrenched to get fired. And my supervisor? I had to go to the HR department to complain about my lack of evaluation from my supervisor during my year-long probation when I started this lousy job. Oh yeah, I am on probation for a year again....I got promoted last year.
  • Danny Tse
    edited July 2004
    What's the deal with the government always "underestimating" everything....

US Understimated War Costs by $12.3 Billion - GAO

No, this is no just about the war (and I am merely using this as an example). The above link merely gets me riled up about these government waste. This "cost underestimating" on everything....from building a bridge to practically any public project, when do we ever hear about a project being on time and under-budget?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2004
    What is their incentive to be on time and under-budget?
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by dlew308
    My rant is upper managers who promote dumb people up because they know they'll never be a threat to taking their jobs.

Been there and understand your frustration!
    Originally posted by Polkmaniac

What other job can you have where you can be wrong and screw up so much of the time.

ANY JOB if you continuously find blame in others and point the finger deflecting your own compentence from coming into question. ooooohhhhh btw, these are the individuals that like to have conversations in the mens room:eek:

me???? I come at ya not behind ya!:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jefft1314
    jefft1314 Posts: 169
    edited July 2004
    Circuit City continuing to force me to sell TV's. I know more about home audio than any other employee in the store, everybody knows this, and everybody knows the kind of service and solutions I'm able to provide to customers while I'm working in that department, in addition to how much I genuintely enjoy working in that department. But instead of having me selling home audio, I'm force to sell TV's becuase I'm good at it, meanwhile this kid who has no idea what the settings "small" and "large" on a receiver mean is selling audio, because his numbers while selling TV's sucked. You know what he did the other day? He sold a customer a pair of Polk RTI 8's, an Infinity Alpha center channel, Polk r20's for surround speakers, and a polk psw-202 subwoofer. If there's anybody in Vermont who could suggest a better paying part time job for a college kid, please let me know. I'm at my wits end here.

Oh and kids wouldn't misbehave if their parents taught them proper values in the first place. I'm easily one of the most polite and courteous people you'll meet out there on a street, (I let people in, I open doors, I say "please, thank you, and have a nice day", even if the clerk doesn't and my parents never once laid a hand on me. Perhaps their are some kids who would benefit from a slap on the bottom from time to time, but I don't know if there's that strong of an argument to allow such a thing in this day and age.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2004
    If you're good at it, why complain?
  • jefft1314
    edited July 2004
    Closest tweeter is a couple of hours away. I'm complaining becasue I don't give a rats **** about televisions. I spent three hundred dollars on my tv and a grand on my sound setup. There are a couple of local a/v store, one fairly high end, the other medium high, i'm going to have to look into getting a job at one of those stores, though convincing them to give a 20 year old a job may be difficult.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2004
    Same thing that happened to jefft1314, happened to me! I just wanted to work in audio til they figured out that I knew a lot about big screens.

Rants:

1. Being "written up" and threatened with termination if I didn't sell a quota of extended warranties. :mad: Nice effin focus CC.

2. Watt ratings!! These really piss me off. Sony is a huge offender, and now my beloved Onkyo has jumped on the bandwagon; the $500 HTIB now has a "1000 watt total power" sticker. ARRGGHH! I get so tired of explaining bs watt ratings.

3. Infinity Beta speaker grills. They might as well through a wool blanket over these speakers while they're at it.
  • jefft1314
    edited July 2004
    Ugh! I'll second the watt rating! That's probably the most annoying thing about working audio, oh, and that people believe Sony's receivers are actually good (the non es models). Dude, that sucks about the extended warranty thing, I've never had my job threatened or even been threatened to be written up. Then again I'm selling like 8.2% service, fourth in the store, so management stays off my back for the most part. And yes, I do feel guilty everytime I sell a service plan, considering Circuit City's service department is constantly unloading stuff on us to sell that is still completely defective! It's such trash.
  • Danny Tse
    edited August 2004
    This is becoming my work rant outlet....

Just got handed a copy of the adopted 2004/05 budget for the government program I work on....while I will not reveal the exact amount here, my lousy salary is only about 2% of the administrative and staffing budget. And there're only 2 people, including myself, working on this program full-time. :confused:

No, I didn't get a raise.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    1. Dell's customer service
    whoever came up with 'Dell is number 1 in customer service" has obviously never used it before
    when i was trying to get my dvd burner to burn dvd's(which i still cant do...and pretty much gave up on at the moment) here was my experience:
    called dell
    wait 25 minutes for someone to pick up
    gave them my express code #(computer specific), name, and email
    since they are not certified techs, they send me to someone else
    wait 10 more minutes
    they ask for the same information...why did they ask me in the first place!?
    then i get a 'oo im sorry, i cannot help you with your problem since you have a Dell XPS system...well wtf!...you have my express code #....why didnt they send me to the right fuggin person!?
    wait 10 more minutes
    they send me to a hardware tech instead of a software tech
    im on the phone for 30 minutes and she cant figure out my problem...she cant even see the program im using b/c she doesnt have it on her computer b/c she deals with hardware
    so after she figures out she cant handle my problem...she sends me to someone else...
    it hangs up on me...
    this happened to me TWICE
    plus, they are Indian and i have to ask them to repeat everything they say since i cant understand them

2. ricers, worse, ricers who think that their 4cyl POS can beat any v-8 on the face of the earth
    this guy for example...
    thom deleted a lot of the post

3. kind of related...white guys that think theyre not

4. people who drive 55 in a 70 and will not get over for you
    GET OFF THE ROAD IF YOU CANT DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT GRANDPA

5. people that use one thing...anything...and think its God's gift to earth...
    what i mean is...take car audio for example...
    people use POS sony subs in a bandpass box and think its the best thing in the world b/c the guy at best buy said it was

6. the cop who pulled this BS

7. fat girls that wear short, tight shorts and cutoff shirts and/or 2 piece bikinis

8. being 18...i get this a lot...
    adults who want to do something one way...then kids telling them an easier, smarter, or generally more effective way of doing it...and the adult not admitting they were wrong to a kid and be a jackass in general and proceed to do it their way
    this goes for saying something that is wrong and being proven wrong by a kid and will not admit it

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by kingkip
    My rant is for any Seattlites out there. Driving 55 in the left lane. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MOVE OVER!!! Some people actually have to get somewhere. Also people should learn how to merge. If the speed limit is 60 then logically you should be going 60 when you enter traffic. How frickin hard is it.
    That happens everywhere.......I posted this a while back somewhere, but here's a pic of what I had made up to make my point....:D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by brettw22
    That happens everywhere.......I posted this a while back somewhere, but here's a pic of what I had made up to make my point....:D
    I NEED THAT STICKER!

and id like to add a number 9 to my list
    9. JL

im done
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    No kidding dude. You should sell those on Ebay! Id love to have one!

About the only thing that gets me is people that trash something and hate it simply because everybody else likes it. Kind of like, oh I dont know.....hmm.....maybe....people that hate JL?! :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Actually Cody named off most of my ****.

-White dudes that want to be Snoop Doggy Dog.
    -Ricers
    -Fat girls that wear belly shirts
    -Dudes that drive with the seat laid flat down
    -Sarah Michelle Gellar not having a nude scene in ANY of her movies or doing a Playboy spread
    -Sarah Michelle Gellar having too long a name
    -Al Franken
    -Michael Moore
    -The French
    -Canadians (recent USA Today/Gallop poll states that 60-something% of Canadians think the U.S. is an EVIL country!!!!!!! no joke)
    -radical muslims
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    No kidding dude. You should sell those on Ebay! Id love to have one!

About the only thing that gets me is people that trash something and hate it simply because everybody else likes it. Kind of like, oh I dont know.....hmm.....maybe....people that hate JL?! :p
    i added that one just for you:cool:
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Oh, I have to add one more. Something that pisses me off the most.

- The entire MTV network!

anyone remembering the MTV from the 80's will understand

• Danny Tse
    edited January 2005
    Another work-related rant!!!

My supervisor has basically refused to give me a final evaluation report after my probation period following my promotion. I am suppose to get a evaluation every four months. It's not that I am looking forward to getting one, but I would like to get something into my personnel files to show that I have improved on my job performance. In September 2004, I went to HR to complain and they send him an e-mail asking him to comply. Almost 4 months after that e-mail from HR, still nothing. So I send my supervisor another e-mail today and his replied as follow....
    Danny, sorry not yet. Other assignments. Remind me next month. Thanks.

On the other hand, it was revealed today by a recent employee survey that someone here has not had a performance review in 14 years. Yes, that's 14 years!!! :eek:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2005
    I haven't had a performance review in 18 years. Maybe I'll get one this year ;)

Damn, I guess those tests in school counted as "performance review"s

Except in real life, you can get more money after such "test"!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited January 2005
    Danny, I think you need a new job :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Danny Tse
    edited January 2005
    Except in real life, you can get more money after such "test"!

I work for the government, so I am unlikely to see any more money. In fact, our boss, Arnold, is proposing to cut our benefits and paid holidays.

BTW, my coworker, who cost taxpayers an extra $120,000 in interest payments, will most likely get a promotion. And with that promotion, and the accompanying pay increase, he will retire and get a retirement check based on his highest salary.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    So is service ...

so are manners
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Danny Tse
    On the other hand, it was revealed today by a recent employee survey that someone here has not had a performance review in 14 years. Yes, that's 14 years!!! :eek:
    It's been at least 10 for me...which is just fine. I hate getting them and giving them (I have to give about 3 or 4 a year :( ). I'm lucky to have worked for guys that could give a crap about filling in a form. I get raises and bonuses each year so it's cool. I either make them money...or I don't. Last year the division I ran put a little over $1,100,000.00 to the bottom line. The only review I expect is "Thank you....here's more money" :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2005
    A rant from the liberal perspective.
    Bible thumping right wing bigots who think God is on their side whatever their agenda.
    A society that pay actors and athletes millions while underpaying teachers, policemen and firemen.
    A government that cares more about lining the pockets of a few wealthy supporters than caring for the population as a whole.
    I could go on at the risk of offending more of you but i will save that for another time.

Also people who can not laugh at themselves!

cubdog---some of my best friends are republicans although they think I'm crazy
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Danny Tse
    edited August 2005
    Update from my 1/25/2005 post....

No, I still haven't received my evaluation from my supervisor. Between end of January and now, I've went to my HR department and complained and they've basically done nothing. Yes, they did send out another request to my supervisor to fill out that one page evaluation but it ended up on my coworker's desk (the one who cost taxpayers in $120,000 in unnecessary interest payments....more on this later). This coworker,who is not a supervisor, is the one who assigns me much of HIS work so that he can trade stocks online (and prints out his transactions on the office printer). My supervisor is a college buddy of my coworker, so his "slacking off" get conveniently "not noticed". Meanwhile, HR has told me to contact the office manager for the evaluation because she's the "official liason" between HR and the office area. What the $%@*& ??!! Geez, how many people are needed to get a one page evaluation, which comprised of checking off little squares, filled out??!!

So, after spending one year on probation....received no evaluation while on probation. I then spend an additional year trying to get my supervisor and HR to get a final evaulation filled out....nothing. Two whole years to get one page of paper filled out....nothing! :mad:

As for the $120,000 in unnecessary interest payments, it's now up to about $200,000. This is taxpayers' money that is being pissed away because my coworker is leaving claims unprocessed (while the claims were sitting on his desk for 2 years) or delaying the payment process because he was on his paid vacation for a month.

I did mention I work for the government, right? So there are no raises or incentive to work harder or to be more efficient. In fact, the branch manager here told the employees here point blank during a branch meeting, "Don't try thinking out of the box." As for his open door management style...."Don't open it." Those are his words. I was more than shocked....coming from the private sector.

And now that I think about it, I am really pissed that managers here dumped a resolution on me so that I can put my name on it. This was when I was first hired and none of the people here wanted to take any responsibility for this resolution. The resolution was controversial in that it dealt with surcharges (taxes?) and the California legislature was taking millions of dollars from a public program and using the money to plug holes in its deficit (bait and switch?). I wasn't trained to write a resolution and I wasn't even suppose to write one since that's considered working "out of class" for me. After that resolution, I wasn't asked to "write" any other....and I wondered why. :confused: At least my name is on a piece of legislature.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    i feel that i must vent now, too...

i'm a summer intern at an anonymous company, and in my three months here (tomorrow's my last day!!!) i've learned a very important life lesson... dilbert is TRUE, every frickin word of it... i was brought in to design an internal website that would allow people to do research more conveniently than they do now, cause the way stuff is organised now is hideously inefficient... so i'm like, cool, i live for efficiency, i'll be good at this... NOT... i have learned the meaning of beauracracy, and it means that you spend two and a half months wandering around trying to find the right person to help you solve a problem, and then the day before you hand in your two weeks' notice, you finally get the access rights to the website you were hired to create over two months ago!

so there's a lot of people out there that think this is a great thing happening, and all i have to show for it is a program i coded and a few documents i wrote, mostly design and vision stuff, so it's off to the person after me to do a lot of the grunt work, which makes me feel like **** cause i have to be like, 'hey, i've been here for the summer, now you get to do the job i spent three months setting up'...

and the worst part is that this is considered NORMAL... it's completely acceptable for people to take two weeks to return an email, or never return it at all, which is almost precisely the opposite of college, where you get less than three days to do an assignment from beginning to end... i rather like college more, i think i'll stay there forever... :p

</rant>
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    Warning If you do not like foul language, you best not read but it is the only true way to express my thoughts.

My rant...

Our **** justice system and how hard it sucks! It's a complete **** joke!

When you have a guy on trial, on **** trial...why? He's admitted to killing people and an 11 year old girl as she asked "'What's going to happen to me?" as she stared up at a noose and after seeing her parents and brother killed by this guy.

This guy has admitted to killing, why the **** are we wasting money on this huge piece of dog ****, he should be killed, very slowly and painfully over a very long time.

This guy and people like him that kill should be killed, period. It may cost more because of (again) our **** justice system that sucks, but we don't need maggots like this on our planet...may he burn in hell when he does die.

This guy should be dead already.

Oh, if you don't know who it is, the self proclaimed BTK killer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/18/btk.killings/index.html

If someone killed my wife or daughter you can bet I will not sleep until that person or persons is dead and why would I do it, because, our **** justice system sucks.

Rant over.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2005
    Ron's rant reminds me of the book (and subsequent not-as-good movie) "A Time to Kill". About basically that exactly thing. A man is on trial for killing the guy who raped his young daughter.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    Remember the guy who shot the karate instructor who molested his son? What happened to him?