Post a picture.....any picture...part deux...

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    treitz3 wrote: »
    zzpbzldooe4r.jpg

2 carbon steel pans, seasoned and rarin' to go! The beeswax coating was stripped this mornin'. Avocado oil was used for the seasoning. Cooked and cooled, along with another seasoning of the flattop.

They will not look like this for long....ready to start cooking and comparing this to the ol' trusted cast iron...

Tom

They're really nice for stir frys
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,429
    hik457292n3a.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    TBT? Carbon steel DEFINITELY has a place in cooking. Color me impressed....very impressed. Tommy like.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    TBT? Carbon steel DEFINITELY has a place in cooking. Color me impressed....very impressed. Tommy like.

Tom

Some may not realize, but pretty much all real Woks are made of carbon steel. It definitely has a place in any serious kitchen.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    ....provided one has a Wok station.....IMO.

There is an argument toward a Wok, pan or otherwise....

A Wok requires a special cooking apparatus.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,429
    iai1cqt58h2e.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• One should addd to the kitchen inventory a good, big cast iron skillet.
    Mandatory if you're going to fry chicken the proper way

qt3dz9gbfbf6.jpg

You know why a certain person and crew wandered the desert for 40 years ?
    It's because they were lugging preciious cast iron cooking utensils around.
    Sure, it slowed them down, but they were wise. They weren't about to trade good earin' for a little more speed
    Yummy or zoomy....they made the right choice.

You can look it up. 🤔

Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    Basic cooking tool....IMO.

For great meals.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    edited September 6

You know why a certain person and crew wandered the desert for 40 years ?
    It's because they were lugging preciious cast iron cooking utensils around.
    Wait, what?! Them dudes had stir-fry recipes for manna?
    B)

We bought a large-ish (albeit not by commercial standards) carbon steel wok shortly after we got married (i.e., 40-ish years ago). It continues to serve well.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    edited September 6
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    z6yoxuetnc5v.png

Dam their gawds ! 😡
    Sal Palooza
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,627
    z6yoxuetnc5v.png

The above image is notable for three reasons:

1) The caption is not a fair representation of the context of the image.

2) The aircraft model is of the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, a type which was way before its time in that era.

3) The virtuous @mhardy6647 posts a camel toe pic.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,521
    You tried hexclad yet Tom?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • OleBoot
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    OleBoot wrote: »
    z6yoxuetnc5v.png

2) The aircraft model is of the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, a type which was way before its time in that era.

Y'all may not believe me but it was that big, beautiful Caravelle model that caught my eye in that photo.
    Oh, and I am pretty sure that the toe's naught but photo flash caught by a wrinkle. :blush:

Ahem. I got to fly on a United Caravelle identically once, a long, long time ago. Gorgeous aircraft, and, yes, ahead of their time in many respects. :)

• OleBoot
    OleBoot wrote: »

Y'all may not believe me but it was that big, beautiful Caravelle model that caught my eye in that photo.
    Oh, and I am pretty sure that the toe's naught but photo flash caught by a wrinkle. :blush:

Ahem. I got to fly on a United Caravelle identically once, a long, long time ago. Gorgeous aircraft, and, yes, ahead of their time in many respects. :)

fcjz5sc8c3qb.png

• OleBoot
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    j0arv27ic1eg.jpeg

With English amps owned by Swedes.
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »

Nope. I have stainless, cast, carbon steel and non-stick. We rarely use the nonstick, but if we ever had to replace it, that's what I was thinking of. The prices for hexclad, last I looked, were kind of outrageous.

Tom
  • OleBoot wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    j0arv27ic1eg.jpeg

With English amps owned by Swedes.

As long as it's not Canadian until we can figure out what they're up to 🕵️👁️‍🗨️
    Sal Palooza
  • VR3

Nope. I have stainless, cast, carbon steel and non-stick. We rarely use the nonstick, but if we ever had to replace it, that's what I was thinking of. The prices for hexclad, last I looked, were kind of outrageous.

Tom

We've had hexclad for almost 2 years now. Pots, pans, etc. They literally look like they did the day we bought them and my wife cycles thru the whole set every couple days.

No complaints, great cookware. Quite possibly the last set we will ever purchase given the lifetime warranty and observed durability thus far.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    edited September 6

Tom

And they (hexclad) don't work as well as advertised. Lots of debunking videos out there.
    I rarely use non-stick and for the times I do, I can baby one of the Teflon pans and get 10+ years out of a set. A set that is $30 at Sam's
  • VR3
    edited September 6
    Considering we own almost 10, they work exactly as advertised, no question... And we definitely do not baby them lol
  • billbillw
    edited September 6
    I wasn't saying you have to baby HexClad. I was talking about the regular cheapo teflon non-stick which I have a $30 sams club set.
    There are many reports (documented) of HexClad not being quite as non-stick as the traditional teflon non-stick. Some people expect magic, like putting eggs into a dry pan and expecting them to cook and slide right out. Some oil is always required IMO.
    Post edited by billbillw on
  • treitz3
    We have been through a couple of sets of the Sam's Club non-stick and it seemingly doesn't take much to abuse them. I have since switched to Misen non-stick and have no complaints. My current set is around 8 or 9 years old, IIRC.

I was so impressed with the non-stick, when I was looking at a set of carbon steel pans some years later, I bought from the same place.

My oldest pan in the arsenal is about 70 or 80 years old and it still looks new. This was my G-Grandmother's frying pan with a hinged lid. A Griswold. The oldest pan I bought myself is a Lodge 12" CI that I have had for probably 38 years. Both are workhorses in the kitchen.

So far, on the carbon steel. It appears as if I need to do one or two more seasonings. With CI, I just seasoned them once and kept cooking. What struck me right off the bat about the carbon steel is how quickly it responds to differing heat. I made a panini the other day on the carbon steel and it was easily the best I had ever made. Lots to learn about the carbon steel and lots of experimenting to come.

It does strike me as a little "odd" that a chef would have 4 different sets of the same pans but each one serves a different purpose, each offering their own sets of attributes and deficiencies.

BTW, Drew. I could easily do another essay on the merits of my automatic soap dispenser. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 😀 It's coming though...

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    edited September 7
    Post a picture became thread jack city for....cooking pans which I'm pretty sure one of you also has a thread on.....🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • OleBoot
    Didn't know where to put this, but this is a really cool website..........

douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm