Those darn appliances

2»

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I rarely use my microwave at 100%. I do not mind waiting 10-15 at say 20-30%. My food doesn't come out rubbery or splatter like a nuclear holocaust... B)

Wait- are you saying I can genuinely use low power and just wait 10 minutes without worrying about it exploding?

Does it heat evenly or do I still need to stir?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    I rarely use my microwave at 100%. I do not mind waiting 10-15 at say 20-30%. My food doesn't come out rubbery or splatter like a nuclear holocaust... B)

Wait- are you saying I can genuinely use low power and just wait 10 minutes without worrying about it exploding?

Yes that is what I'm saying.
    You still must stir during the heat up. The nature of a microwave is very uneven, just the nature of the beast.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    And how exactly do you maintain a microwave Chris? Change the oil?

Cleaning it. Like once per day.

I rarely clean ours because I have taught the family to use wax wrap and cover whatever it is they are cooking. Especially anything that's greasy or likes to explode all over the microwave. It's cheap, easy to use and definitely helps with the cleanup.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590

You still must stir during the heat up. The nature of a microwave is very uneven, just the nature of the beast.

Standing waves -- just like loudspeakers in a room! B)
  • ChrisD06

I'm going to try this out next time I need to use the microwave because this may very well be life changing.
  • ChrisD06
    treitz3 wrote: »

I rarely clean ours because I have taught the family to use wax wrap and cover whatever it is they are cooking. Especially anything that's greasy or likes to explode all over the microwave. It's cheap, easy to use and definitely helps with the cleanup.

Tom

My mom will continue to do it her way even if everyone else follows suite!

She still pre rinses before using the dishwasher and uses wayyy too much detergent even after I showed her video proof that it could tank the mist ridiculous things when doing it my way... oh well.

Now our nice glasses are slowly getting etched :/
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited June 18

Unless it's an inverter microwave (most Panasonic's) it's always at 100%. It just switches the power on and off depending on the setting.
    An inverter microwave actually lowers the power to the magnetron. With a Panasonic you can actually completely thaw food, without it cooking at all. I'll never own anything else.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consumer/household-learn/technology/what_s-an-inverter.html

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630

Unless it's an inverter microwave (most Panasonic's) it's always at 100%. It just switches the power on and off depending on the setting.
    An inverter microwave actually lowers the power to the magnetron. With a Panasonic you can actually completely thaw food, without it cooking at all. I'll never own anything else.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consumer/household-learn/technology/what_s-an-inverter.html

I was about to post the exact same thing, but you got it first. 100% correct fellas.
    The solution is to cover the dang food.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ChrisD06

I just learned something new today.

Unfortunately ours looks like one of the few models they sell without an inverter. I will experiment with lower power levels anyways.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,506
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

A damp paper towel laying on top works for a lot of foods
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    Our DW is on the fritz. We will need a new one. This time looking at a Bosch. Our issue is we don't want to spend lots as we'll be re-doing the kitchen within 5-7 yrs at which point we'll get the DW that we really want to get. So looking at the 100 or 300 series Bosch. Our current LG (Laughable Garbage) is 9 yrs but has acted up since the 3rd year. Racks are rusted after 2 years replaced under warranty new ones rusted right through in some areas, drying agent dispenser stopped working after yr 3. Sometimes the only way to get the control panel to work is to go turn off and on the breaker. Door counter weights replaced 2x. UUGHHHH
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,521
    Laughable garbage.... Lol love it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    My 5th wheel jas the original Amana RadaRange Microwave. Still works great.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,110
    Willow wrote: »
    …So looking at the 100 or 300 series Bosch. …

We bought a base model $400 Bosch that worked flawlessly for 14 years and was still going strong. We did have to replace the rinse aid dispenser after about ten years as it started leaking, so the dishes didn’t wash properly. It was a reasonable DIY job for anyone with screwdriver skills, and they do sell parts.

According to the Bosch technician I spoke to, the best models are the ones with a salt dispenser for the hard water in our area. Much more effective than the special detergents and rinse aid solutions.

YMMV
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
    Our DW is on the fritz. We will need a new one. This time looking at a Bosch. Our issue is we don't want to spend lots as we'll be re-doing the kitchen within 5-7 yrs at which point we'll get the DW that we really want to get. So looking at the 100 or 300 series Bosch. Our current LG (Laughable Garbage) is 9 yrs but has acted up since the 3rd year. Racks are rusted after 2 years replaced under warranty new ones rusted right through in some areas, drying agent dispenser stopped working after yr 3. Sometimes the only way to get the control panel to work is to go turn off and on the breaker. Door counter weights replaced 2x. UUGHHHH

never loved our higher end bosch tbh. Our 3ish year old kitchend aid is much better, except the drain seems to get clogged too easily…eer never mind they all suck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,985
    Bosch or Bruegel. I like them both.

hd9iujdeohz1.jpg

e4850m97qgi5.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,521
    Your drain is clogging?

On your drain line does it leave the main drain going down or up?

I run mine up and it does a complete circle beside the sink strapped to the wall. Never had an issue

Knock on wood
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    rooftop59 wrote: »

never loved our higher end bosch tbh. Our 3ish year old kitchend aid is much better, except the drain seems to get clogged too easily…eer never mind they all suck!

Scrape your dishes clean before putting them in, use a detergent with enzymes (the Great Value powder is the best detergent you can get), and clean your filter.