The next step……

Options
I’m getting ready(I think) to take the next step in the streaming game. Currently,I am streaming Qobuz thru a Bluesound Node 2i into a Musician Pegasus. I have a wireless extender wired to the node. I’ve been running this for a while,however I want to upgrade. I’m looking for some more detail, and a larger soundstage . I was thinking of trying the PS upgrade that is offered by a couple venders out there. Now I’m thinking I might be better off going for a used Lumin product. Here’s where things get confusing for me. My budget is probably going to be in the $1500-$2500 range. I’m not sure what model I should be looking at. I’m good with trying the internal DAC some models offer, or just getting a streamer,and running it thru my current DAC.
I only stream Qobuz, I don’t use any external files.

Any suggestions?
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    The dac is everything, no internal dac competes with a solid external dac

If I was looking to spend 1500 to 2k

I would upgrade the ps on the blue sound and then patiently wait for an abbas dac to pop up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,117
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion VR3. John, I didn’t realize the Moon piece was a streamer. How easy is the app to use for Qobuz? The reason I ask is, I’m a technical moron.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2023
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion VR3. John, I didn’t realize the Moon piece was a streamer. How easy is the app to use for Qobuz? The reason I ask is, I’m a technical moron.
    I too am a technical, moron, I haven’t even set up my surroundsound yet because I haven’t figured out how to run Dirac. It works beautifully as a streamer and very easy to set up because it also recognizes Bluetooth.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    A SCREAMER ? Gosh I hope it works better than that at that price point
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    A SCREAMER ? Gosh I hope it works better than that at that price point

I hate predictive text… I fixed it, but considering this was 5k when purchased new, my price is a screamer of a deal…

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    What other gear is the rest of the system?

Is there another source in the system that sounds better than the DAC with a wider soundstage and more detail? Are you happy with the Bluesound user interface for Qobuz? Are you eager to spend time setting up another user interface with a different music streamer?

FWIW, I also consider the device that does the streaming somewhat disposable as this market changes in comparison to an excellent external DAC unless it's a multi-thousand dollar streamer with a top notch DAC built in.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options

Very easy, I love Qobuz..
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Emlyn, other gear is an Aric Audio Motherlode II preamp (6sn7 based) , First Watt J2 or F5 depending on mood, Nola Boxer 2’s, or Graham Chartwell LS3/5, or Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils,or Shinjitsu Little Hiro’s. Supported by a pair of SVS SB2000 pros. I rotate speakers for different seasoning.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,378
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Are you happy with the Bluesound user interface for Qobuz?

He'd better be. It's one of, if not THE easiest to use out of all of the streamers I have tried. It seems the more you move up the line on streamers from the BS Node2, the more difficult it is to operate the interface for Qobuz.

That said, there is rumor that Qobuz Connect is around the corner. We'll see about that.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    @TEAforONE , get one of these on the 45 day trial, hook your dac up to it first then listen, then add your streamer, then the rest of your equipment. If you don't hear an improvement then no harm no foul and send it back.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199413/puritan-psm156-power-conditioner#latest
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    The Bluesound interface is so easy,even a mailman can use it. Seriously,this is very easy,and pretty intuitive. I think I just may try the power supply board and lps upgrade. If it’s marginally better, I can move that to my secondary system. If it does work, I can get a second upgrade kit for the secondary system. I guess to sum up my question, is the streamer in the Node 2i equal to other streamers using an external DAC. I lived with the internal DAC for a couple years,and was amazed at the improvement using an external DAC. Am I going to get the same improvements with a new streamer? I know only I can make that decision for myself, however I’m looking to you folks with digital knowledge to give some insight. I appreciate all the feedback so far.
  • treitz3
    Options
    It will, depending on your DAC choice but that may expose the limitations of the BS Node2i. Cleaning up ANY part of the signal and reducing incoming noise is also a big factor when it comes to streaming.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    FWIW, there was a big jump up in SQ when I went to an external DAC when I had my BS Node2. At the time, I had a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC for it. My thoughts at the time were that it definitely sounded better than the built in DAC, there was still a lot left that I was yearning for. At that time, streaming was a secondary tool for listening and I much preferred listening to physical music through my SACD player.

That player is a Marantz SA-S71. It was their TOTL Reference Series player at the time I bought it.

I have since gone through an Auralic Vega G2 that had a built in DAC and have since moved onto a Lumin UX1 with an external DAC. With each move up the line, I experienced more and more, especially when I cleaned up any and all of the incoming signal.

Now, I actually enjoy streaming more so than physical music (digital only). The Marantz simply makes too much noise when in direct comparison to the streaming portion of the rig. I never heard this "noise" before in year's past but now, it is blatantly obvious to even the casual listener when doing a direct A/B.

Everything affects everything, and this is especially true when it comes to streaming.

Tom
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    @TEAforONE , get one of these on the 45 day trial, hook your dac up to it first then listen, then add your streamer, then the rest of your equipment. If you don't hear an improvement then no harm no foul and send it back.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199413/puritan-psm156-power-conditioner#latest

I have heard nothing but praise for this piece. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Gustard A26 pro. I don't know anything about their streamer. I have the X26Pro and use Tidal apps off my laptop or phone to stream.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Right now, I’m pretty happy with my DAC. Will I still be happy after a streamer upgrade? That remains to be seen.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Right now, I’m pretty happy with my DAC. Will I still be happy after a streamer upgrade? That remains to be seen.

Since your happy with your DAC and aren’t computer savvy, I would recommend the power supply upgrade on your Node 2i.

I have a Node 2i with LHY LPS upgrade, and a Node N130 (latest version) no power supply upgrade.

I prefer the former for sonics; it is a bit smoother/cleaner sounding with a bit blacker background. Install of the board was easy and it is an uber-affordable upgrade.

https://www.beatechnik.com/post/the-node-2-2i-psu-kit-and-lps25va-are-a-revelation-in-my-system

If you later decide you want to try a different DAC, the Denafrips Ares II is a real honey. I have two.

https://tmraudio.com/components/d-a-converters/denafrips-ares-ii-dac-d-a-converter-usb-6/

rabjidi6rq9x.jpeg

ky6bhjpkgjs4.jpeg

yoz4t57cxiqu.jpeg
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    From what I’ve read, the Musician Pegasus has been compared to the performance of the Denafrips Pontus. The Pegasus is a bit off the radar. They have only been around since 2020. That’s fine by me,it keeps the price down in the used market.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    I just ordered the Node 2i upgrade kit. I’m going to install this and see if it gives me what I’m seeking. If it enhances detail and expands the soundstage. It will work. @jbreezy5, did you notice an immediate improvement,or was there some burn in needed?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    My suggestion
    Get an LHY power supply for the node
    Then clean up the network switch going to the blue sound
    And use an external Dac after the node
    I have both a node with and without ps supply on my rack
    For fun, I switch between the two to compare albums
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    My suggestion
    Get an LHY power supply for the node
    Then clean up the network switch going to the blue sound
    And use an external Dac after the node
    I have both a node with and without ps supply on my rack
    For fun, I switch between the two to compare albums

Yep, just ordered the LHY kit yesterday,and all ready using an external DAC. I’m using a node 2i in my main system,and Node 2 in my secondary. I will do a comparison once the kit is here. I think that will also determine if I stop there,or go with a new streamer.

Joey,
    What kind of impact did the LHY have on your Node?
  • treitz3
    Options
    I wouldn't wait too long if you are interested in getting John's Simaudio Moon 380d DSD. It is well below market value and a steal at what he's willing to let it go for right now. I don't think it will last very long at that price, even in today's market. FWIW.

Tom
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    I received my LHY upgrade kit today. Please don’t laugh too hard at my next question. Which dc cable do I use? Also,which out do I use?? mrfh3h740h3t.jpeg
    he9hjtv4o701.jpeg
  • treitz3
    Options
    Either one. The voltage is the same on both rails.

Tom
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Thanks Tom
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Congrats on the lhy
    Either dc output is fine
    What did you notice with the upgrade?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    I was having a bad hand day yesterday ( Arthritis) Definitely not the right time for dealing with tiny screws. I’m hoping to get it done this evening.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Ok, I just put the LHY kit in. I read somewhere else where this kit needs a bit of burn in. If that’s the case,I am going to be thrilled. I can already notice a difference in focus of instruments,and a larger ( wider so far) soundstage. So far I’m rather impressed. As far as John’s Moon piece, it really is a spectacular deal. I’ve been doing a bunch of thinking,and I really want a separate box setup. I just feel more comfortable as far as the future goes.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    You'll not find a better price for the Moon. I've bought from John multiple times, been disappointed multiple times and it was never the product I bought, it was the rabbit hole it sent me down :smiley: