Looking for a new, cheaper subwoofer. Velodyne finally kicked the bucket.

Options
124»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    [quote="

Don't take it just from this group. Here's a nice little comparison site that talks about how much better the Speedwoofer 10S mkll is over the Polk HTS 10 and how the HSU VTF-2 MK5 plays even better than the Speedwoofer.

[/quote]

Once you experience a good sub you will never go back. Two of the most important speakers in a HT are Center and Sub.

I took my old STF-2 to a friends who has two Polk 505's. He didn't want me to leave.

Coworker buys junk subs when PB13' were in his budget. After a week and asking why his system is muddy he pulled the trigger on a pair of PB13's. He received them on a Friday, Monday morning he tossed the shipping boxes in the dumpster.

The stories go on and on of how much a good sub can make a system. Save some money and get a good sub. I'm far from rich but I'm putting funds away for dual SB3000's or single SB16.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • MikeUp
    MikeUp Posts: 86
    Options
    MikeUp wrote: »
    Had some issues with the Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer and replaced it with a Klipsch R-12SWi which sounds even better on music and movies, plus is a whole lot more powerful than either the Polk or Velodyne.

What issues did you have if you don't mind me asking? I thought it was meeting all your expectations and then some. I haven't been studying this thread super closely but I'm confused :|

The Polk sounded good and measured good at 74db at my listening area, but when pushing loud levels, the bass wasn't there.

Also to get adequate volume at my listening position without going over 0db on the receiver's output level, the Polk sub needed the volume turned up all the way.

It was defective. I found out AFTER by the sellers ratings, that there were many in my situation where they were delivered defective subs.
    On to new and better adventures
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• MikeUp
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Also found out the R-12SWi had a terrible laminate finish that scratched super easily and that Klipsch realized this and updated all their newer subs with scratch resistant finishes.

So I updated with a R-120SW and found not only did it have a different finish but a different woofer. It also sounds better, it has tighter bass, lower extension, and what seems like a more accurate response. Yes, my Velodyne CT-100 never sounded this good, ever.

It's not that the Velodyne CT-100 ever sounded bad, but these Klipsch subs just sound so good. While obviously no one here likes anything but RSL, SVS, and HSU subs (maybe Monolith) but around the web, they are well liked above most other subs at their price point.

BTW, I have experienced good subs at friends houses, demo rooms, and even professional theaters. I know what they sound like.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Suuuuuuuuure
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MikeUp
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Suuuuuuuuure

In reference to what??
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    edited August 2022
    Options
    While obviously no one here likes anything but RSL, SVS, and HSU subs (maybe Monolith)

Not true in the slightest. I use a Rythmik sub, and of course also we discussed the advantages of Velodyne models.

I doubt anyone here plays brand favorites, they're just reporting on what's worked out best for them in their own setups. And trust me these guys have all been around the block several times with gear.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,971
    Options
    I also have a Rythmik. i don't have any comparisons to make, nor do I feel the need to. Glad you are happy with what you have, I am.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    Also found out the R-12SWi had a terrible laminate finish that scratched super easily and that Klipsch realized this and updated all their newer subs with scratch resistant finishes.

So I updated with a R-120SW and found not only did it have a different finish but a different woofer. It also sounds better, it has tighter bass, lower extension, and what seems like a more accurate response. Yes, my Velodyne CT-100 never sounded this good, ever.

It's not that the Velodyne CT-100 ever sounded bad, but these Klipsch subs just sound so good. While obviously no one here likes anything but RSL, SVS, and HSU subs (maybe Monolith) but around the web, they are well liked above most other subs at their price point.

BTW, I have experienced good subs at friends houses, demo rooms, and even professional theaters. I know what they sound like.

Sadly, this is not an original story - You came here, and asked for advice on a new purchase. You then disregarded all the advice you were given, and went in a different direction, which is absolutely fine. However, you then proceeded to argue and posture with the very people you were seeking advice from, all the while trying to convince us all that you made the right purchase.

What you are really seeking is validation, not advice - There is a difference. Unfortunately, you are not likely to receive validation on your purchase from the group here, but you already knew that.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    While obviously no one here likes anything but RSL, SVS, and HSU subs (maybe Monolith) but around the web, they are well liked above most other subs at their price point.

For a subwoofer that can be had for $189.99-$200 on sale at Costco, the R-12SWi has to be one of the better buys out there in that price range. If it meets your SUB BASS expectations and budget then be happy with it!

However, read points from your original post:
    • I'm on a budget now so $400 is actually above what I feel comfortable paying, but I don't want any regrets.

• That being said, Jamo is a Klipsch company and the amplifier back plates are identical to a lot of Klipsch amplifier back plates except for the name on them. I was thinking about getting a Klipsch R-10SW 10" subwoofer but read reviews that said they were muddy and not good for music. Same thing with other upper end Klipsch.

• With my experience with Jamo, makes me afraid to try a Klipsch subwoofer. I just don't want the hassle of waiting for it and then returning it.

• I am limited for room so the HTS 10 is just about as big as my Velodyne CT-100, so can't go much larger. That's why I'm not considering any 12" subwoofers.

• I guess I have to stick to one larger subwoofer to go under 40Hz and stay in my budget.

• So is the Klipsch musical enough to do justice or is it mainly a muddy home theater subwoofer. Is the Polk HTS 10 worth the 2X price??

I think its clear from your OP why the group here recommended some high performing subs new and used within and some just outside of your budget. I assure you if you were to post the same question over on the AVS Forum (Over 1 Million members), you will get similar responses. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/klipsch-r-12swi-wireless-sub-274-fry’s.2991890/#post-56527820

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited August 2022
    Options
    [quote="
    It's not that the Velodyne CT-100 ever sounded bad, but these Klipsch subs just sound so good. While obviously no one here likes anything but RSL, SVS, and HSU subs (maybe Monolith) but around the web, they are well liked above most other subs at their price point..[/quote]

Not 100% correct. Yes I like and use both SVS & HSU subs as they are very good subs for the money. If I had my choice for a sub I'd go for a JL Audio home sub.. I'm not rich and am not going into debt for one so I stick with HSU & SVS.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    Aaand he's gone.