Clipdat wrote: »

I love it! Sold! PM inbound!

What am I looking at?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    maxward wrote: »
    i5h4lrxbaoc8.png

I do like this piece. super clean. that's all I know.

I've been meaning to post some photos of one of my just three (3?) tube pieces, the Onix Melody SP3. I haven't used it in ages, but since finding some really pleasing speakers and a bunch of other synergy-izingery refinements and seeing this thread, I've really been curious to see how it sounds.

I know nothing about tube stuff, except that a little Schiit Vali made for one of the sweetest little headphone amp experiences when I got into headphones, DACs and complaining about IT stuff with @ALL212 back in 2017-2019. Fond memories of schiitty times... thank you Baz Luhrmann. And no, I'm not wearing sunscreen right now.

Anyway, that little Vali was so sweet that I thought, schnikees, I better bring this home. I don't want it to get pinched. (not the loaf; stolen)

I ran it at home for a while and then switched to that Asgard I got from you, Drew, along with that HRT Music Streamer HD (RIP :( )

= what happened to 6moonses site? it's weird now =

https://web.archive.org/web/20220312120728/https://6moons.com/audioreviews/onix/onix.html
    fvoaorrft0ki.png

I disabled signatures.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,182
    KT88's
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    The “lamp gizmo,” as Ivan affectionately refers to the LampizatOr Baltic 4 DAC.

5y5phgzjsm66.jpeg
    fq0ch5db0za0.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Damn sexy fire in a bottle!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    bue30bzbos9u.jpeg
    ykjhxclk4dpu.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    pnl8qodaahda.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    That’s a pretty one, Drew. In for a review?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    No, just bought it on a whim to hear it.
  • Clipdat
    Where mah 300b fam at?!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    edited May 25
    Clipdat wrote: »
    fdtrr7logkj6.jpg

Ahh, the blue glow of a good, hard vacuum. B)
    (not bein' facetious...)
    Actually, it looks more like some stuff in the glass fluorescing -- but it's still cool (and non-life threatening -- not for the tube nor for the audiophile).
  • Clipdat
    edited May 26
    Yeah you can actually see the blue glow slightly in person with all the lights off, but it really shows up with the 3 second exposure photo. Pretty cool.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    q0wvhzi6wn6t.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Clipdat
    Nice! Tubes on both sides of the rack!
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 570
    gsdlhn3am4x1.jpg

A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."

More amazing Internet Science Pink Panther wisdom..."My DAC has since been upgraded from Mark Levinson to Topping."
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited June 1
    Magic eye tubes.

95nb9q1pe6ec.jpg
    ofblykkno68s.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    What kind of tubes are those?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited June 2
    EM34's were the first cathode type tubes, also called cat's eye or tuning eye. They were located at the top of tube, or top view. Later tubes, like the ones Scott used in the 399 (1961), were EM84 / 6FG6 side view. The light starts at the top and bottom and meets in the middle as signal strength increases.

1fjrb6m0pusk.gif

EM84. The Scott 399 pictured above used two, one for AM and one for FM tuning. The 399 was manufactured before FM stereo arrived in 1962. With the selector on AM/FM Stereo, both tuners were active. Some stations would simulcast the right channel in AM and left channel in FM for stereo. Scott made provisions for a FM multiplexer to be added so the 399 could do stereo FM when set to FM Stereo.

weiv2l6y5eqa.png

TAD amps (early to mid 2000's) used them. Bizzy Bee Audio offered a TAD 60 stereo amp and TAD 100 mono blocks. These were nicely constructed but not the best sounding Chinese EL-34 tube amps. Paul Grzybek of Bizzy Bee Audio (local to me) purchased them and did some circuit changes/part upgrades to make them sound very good. I forget what year, but the factory was destroyed by earthquake and sadly Paul passed away at the young age of 48 in 2012.

04govg0lajbw.jpg

ktyfwtdvvdpg.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    Interesting. Thank you sir.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    That round eye tube was used in some old capacitor testers.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 281
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Dang Luther, that is straight up audio pron...
    I like it!!🥰😍❤️