Replacing the Focal Kanta 2

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Just in the brainstorming stages. Looking to complete the project by end of the year. Adding a streamer to the system to allow the kids to have an easier time at playing music.
    Well, I just put in an offer on some 2 way. Hoping to complete the sale shortly. Crossing my fingers

That brainstorming stage only lasted a matter of hours.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Sometimes that’s all it takes.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    audioluvr wrote: »
    @Joey_V I'm just glad everyone is bashing on you instead of me! :D

I didn't notice any "bashing" taking place in this thread. Care to quote where it happened?
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    BlueFox wrote: »

Evidently
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    BlueFox wrote: »

Evidently

Brainstormed for months prior, still kinda brainstorming.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    I'm still not seeing any "bashing" in this thread, especially based on the various definitions of the word:

"Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group, or subject.", "The concept of saying rude things about a certain subject over the Internet", "Severe public criticism."
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing any "bashing" in this thread, especially based on the various definitions of the word:

"Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group, or subject.", "The concept of saying rude things about a certain subject over the Internet", "Severe public criticism."

I’m sure it was just friendly banter then.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Mine was a lighthearted comment about your signature length because it had gotten out of control and was a full page in length to scroll through when viewing the forum on my desktop PC.

Tom seemed a little fired up, but I think it was just frustration resulting in what seemed like a "I'm having trouble deciding what direction to go in regarding a new pair of speakers, what do you guys think?" type post, and then a few hours later it seemed like you'd already decided on your own.

He did raise a few valid questions I thought: "Are you here for advice and to share what you have learned? and "Are you a brand listener or do you really care about the end result as to what hits your ears?"

You are playing at a much higher level than most of us ever will be able to, so I think it would be advantageous to hear more about the type of musical experiences your higher end gear can provide. Obviously, you are incredibly busy with three kids and a full time job, but I for one would appreciate more feedback/reviews regarding your equipment evaluations, cable changes, etc.
  • Clipdat
    Looks like a beautiful day in the forest! Enjoy!
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2021
    Looks like a beautiful day in the forest! Enjoy!

Nice and cozy inside and yet so close to the outdoors too

We love it here

hsyu27rfpune.jpeg
    cfd90ag7izub.jpeg
    zdoakvef0n7k.jpeg
    kw5152svabyw.jpeg
    onkx7qxawbm5.jpeg
    6r2uk0esf4yb.jpeg
    fv6y0ust0mbj.jpeg
    u570tehzcol0.jpeg
    kv6g6i9it2ih.jpeg
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    I liked the old signature. It’s interesting to know where someone came from to get where they are. The length didn’t bother me. It’s easy to scroll past it. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2021
    Kex wrote: »
    I liked the old signature. It’s interesting to know where someone came from to get where they are. The length didn’t bother me. It’s easy to scroll past it. 🤷‍♂️

That was the whole point, to have a history. Now it’s just a display for what you own.

I prefer the old one. I liked how I could recall the progression and my thoughts of each speaker because I had a rating on it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    If I did that to my signature it would cascade multiple pages. A timer would appear as you scrolled
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    VR3 wrote: »
    If I did that to my signature it would cascade multiple pages. A timer would appear as you scrolled

I wouldn’t mind.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Who would have ever thought. Someone's signature would have created so much or is it many issues with others? Either way I don't care. But dang. Are we that sensitive now? It is just a signature and who knows how it would be displayed. I dont see any sigs using my phone. To be fair. He wanted to replace his speakers, thought about it and likely researched it for some time. And this thread was a last minute thing to maybe have someone change his mind before he does buy what he researched.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I’m just not sure what to think. All I can do is shake my head!!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited November 2021
    Technically, Joey never asked for advice:
    Looking to replace the Kanta 2.
    I have some ideas. The ML 11a, SF Maxima Amator, SF Electa Amator III.

The ML11a is probably the more complete speaker, I just don't know if I can stand looking at a perforated panel.

The SF are just so special. A 2 way, simple. All wood cabinet, no mdf.

I am also interested in some Magicos as well.

Just in the brainstorming stages. Looking to complete the project by end of the year. Adding a streamer to the system to allow the kids to have an easier time at playing music.
    We all have ideas, interests, and brainstorming, but don't necessarily voice it (or type it) like this. I think, in this venue, it is implied that folks are asking for opinions (which normally they are). But in this case, I think Joey was 'telling', not 'asking'. Just my two cents.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    jdjohn wrote: »

The ML11a is probably the more complete speaker, I just don't know if I can stand looking at a perforated panel.

We all have ideas, interests, and brainstorming, but don't necessarily voice it (or type it) like this. I think, in this venue, it is implied that folks are asking for opinions (which normally they are). But in this case, I think Joey was 'telling', not 'asking'. Just my two cents.

It’s actually it’s not odd to have declarative thread... The top two threads on 2ch are the same declarative vs asking for opinions.

But according to @treitz3 , I was apparently ignoring people’s suggestions.

11vu7em5c3by.png
    6lsqnmh2c18v.png
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2021
    ^^^
    I think it must have been the wine last night, I missed that the first thread I linked just above actually had a question embedded at the end, it was a mostly declarative thread but he did ask for thoughts and suggestions about a 3rd sub.
    The second thread linked for sure was declarative, so threads like mine and his do happen.
    Not all threads have to have a question.
  • Kex
    …Brand listener? Been doing this for about 15 years, learned what I like along the way. Heard a lot but less than some. I know my biases and I know what I like and don’t like. Brands do matter to me, but it doesn’t dictate what I buy. I will admit I stick to a few brands that I find to have some degree of history or research or pedigree. I don’t like boutique or obscure brands, not that they can’t be good, but it’s too much of a risk especially with resale.
    Brand is obviously important. Does anyone even care about JoLida anymore? Certainly doesn’t generate the buzz it used to after the legal dispute between two distributors soured the brand perception. Probably forever.

Also, brands tend to have a sonic signature, and everyone’s ears are different. It’s much the same with cars. One person’s nirvana might be another person’s hades.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    … Do aesthetics play a role? From my standpoint - heck yes. My wife says, if it’s not an art piece, it’s not being displayed …
    Couldn’t agree more with Mme. V. Anything bigger than a satellite speaker better be gorgeous, or it’s not getting put in our living space.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Kex wrote: »
    … Do aesthetics play a role? From my standpoint - heck yes. My wife says, if it’s not an art piece, it’s not being displayed …
    Couldn’t agree more with Mme. V. Anything bigger than a satellite speaker better be gorgeous, or it’s not getting put in our living space.

I agree.
  • Joey_V
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I keep my wife ticked off with a million other things. Speakers are the least of her concerns. There’s a madness to my method.

You have no fear
  • Surely I jest! She’s a good egg,and has no issues with my speakers.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Clipdat

Good eye, Jody. I re-read the original post and now I see that Joey was never asking for advice/suggestions. More of a stream of consciousness post discussing what direction he was going in. My mistake.
  • Joey_V
    Stream of insanity

Good eye, Jody. I re-read the original post and now I see that Joey was never asking for advice/suggestions. More of a stream of consciousness post discussing what direction he was going in. My mistake.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    1st Thank God Joey doesn't make his son where dad shorts.

2nd please keep posting Joey as you are real life conformation of some
    of the stuff I read in audio rags...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears