2»

Comments

• Hansvelton
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    kabory wrote: »
    The designer/fabricator in me, is curious what actual interior volume those corner boxes would measure?

They seem a good bit larger than the original box for sure.

That would account for much of the loss of bass, exempting sealing issues.. If the box is far larger than the original design (which this visually seems to be) that would drastically lower the box tuning to the point where the passive would not contribute much to the bass, as originally designed.

during the intial trial with no sub, I noticed the bass loss. So I packed the upper and lower sections of corners with batting. I left the area behind the 4 drivers down to the passive open. That brought back some bass and it is more than enough when used in conjuction with my sub.

Something you may (or may not) want to try, is to see how well sealed the "Box" is, by pushing carefully on the middle of the passive, then release it and watching how slowly or quickly it moves back to the normal position.
    That will give you a fair idea (outside of running an impedance sweep) of how much air loss is occurring or not.

That is NOT the way you test, that will tell you nothing.

Passive test is
    1. push quickly in until bottoms out and hold there and watch mid-woofers hold until MW are back at resting position
    2. count time it takes MW to recede to resting position
    3. the longer the better report back

Wow, thanks, great catch.

Was trying to do that from a mobile device while out, complete mess up of explanation.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Refreshed, those 4400's would probably sound sweet
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    The designer/fabricator in me, is curious what actual interior volume those corner boxes would measure?

They seem a good bit larger than the original box for sure.

That would account for much of the loss of bass, exempting sealing issues.. If the box is far larger than the original design (which this visually seems to be) that would drastically lower the box tuning to the point where the passive would not contribute much to the bass, as originally designed.

during the intial trial with no sub, I noticed the bass loss. So I packed the upper and lower sections of corners with batting. I left the area behind the 4 drivers down to the passive open. That brought back some bass and it is more than enough when used in conjuction with my sub.

Something you may (or may not) want to try, is to see how well sealed the "Box" is, by pushing carefully on the middle of the passive, then release it and watching how slowly or quickly it moves back to the normal position.
    That will give you a fair idea (outside of running an impedance sweep) of how much air loss is occurring or not.

That is NOT the way you test, that will tell you nothing.

Passive test is
    1. push quickly in until bottoms out and hold there and watch mid-woofers hold until MW are back at resting position
    2. count time it takes MW to recede to resting position
    3. the longer the better report back

MW recede quick
    I did run a 5 to 200 Hz test off of YouTube through my sound system with the sub disconnected and the SDA1C’s were audible starting at 40 Hz

You have massive air leaks, which doesn't surprise me a bit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Well, that's unique. Nice craftsmanship on the woodwork. But you really trashed a great pair of speakers.
  • kabory
    kabory Posts: 17
    Options
    Sorry man you will get no sympathy for that...

I really want to know how you worked the XO

Here is how I worked the crossover
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    I would have built the wife into the wall but that's just me.... B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    bj22fpalkejd.gif
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited October 2020
    Options

Not enough volume, for some...
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options

One of your best, Ken.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA