1000 VA Dreadnought

Options
124»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Sitka wrote: »
    It would be nice to know the mechanics behind the use of a torroid transformer for non-transformer duty.
    But the Dready IS being used as a transformer in every way that matters, aside from "intentional" voltage change.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Sitka wrote: »
    Thanks F1 - gotta say the Dreadnought has dramatically improved imaging, soundstage and oddly enough, tweeter performance. Amp is also running much cooler.
    xschop wrote: »
    Would be interesting to hear an electrical engineer's opinion on why your amp runs cooler.
    Sounds like a win/win situation.

@Sitka - Do you listen at a lower volume setting on your preamp after installing the Dreadnought?
    After the introduction of gear with lower electrical noise, such as the Dreadnought, music can seem apparently louder due to the reduced electrical noise in the signal. Some people turn down the volume control, which in turn means the amp runs cooler due to less demands put on it.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    What does the Toroid Isolation Transformer do to the impedance as seen by the amplifier, with high stereo content music? If it raises it, then the same volume knob setting on the preamp could be producing less SPL and reduce the load on the amplifier?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Sitka
    Sitka Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks @DarqueKnight, actually my amp is an integrated with 90 WPC and high current. What I'm hearing is likely as much about the SDA + Dreadnought as it is how my amp responds to the setup. I didn't notice a volume increase, just more detail, more attack and more front/back and side sound stage. Kudos to you for doing the research and development which made it super easy to build and plug in. Still need to find a few tracks and do an A-B listen with and without the Dreadnought.