Buchardt S400 versus Buchardt S400 Special Edition

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
edited February 2020 in Speakers
Last year I purchased the standard S400 version and after my 30 day demo returned them due to their peaky/shouty nature. Right after I returned them Buchardt came out with a limited special edition, which a friend purchased. I listened to them at his house and liked what I heard, but he has very different gear and of course, a very different room. Fast forward to the present. He agreed to let me try his speakers at my house if I could lend him some, which I did.

I used 3 recordings that I remember revealed my issue the standard S400. Traffic - Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory (MoFi gold CD), Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You (Stax SACD) and Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2 (MoFi SACD). Albert King loves to play his guitar loud and proud. With the standard S400 that was like ice picks in my ears at anything but very low volume. Listening to the S400SE at a good volume the guitar, while still loud and proud, didn't hurt my ears sounding like an electric guitar should. On the Traffic CD just after the beginning of the first song there is a sharp vocal attack, which on the standard S400 made me wince. Not so on the SE version. On Bachelor No. 2 there are vocal transients which get pretty loud. This was hard to take on the standard version. The SE handled them with aplomb. While listening to the SE I kept thinking how similar they sounded to my modded NHT SB3's with one exception, the Buchardt presents a wider sound stage....nice.

In a previous thread on the S400 I stated that I had a damn good idea what the cause of the peaky/shouty issue was, the Bennic/Dayton caps. The upgraded crossovers in the SE proved I was correct. It also proves that crossover components do indeed matter.

IMO, this is the only version of the S400 they should be selling. During the last year I demoed monitors in my office, which ranged from $5k to $7k, this SE version at $2600.00 beat all of them. If they do another run of the SE version I believe I'll have to buy a pair.

Link to previous thread, https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184028/zero-fidelity-reviews-the-buchardt-s400

Standard crossover.
qb28ypbevcui.jpg

SE crossover.
li2iwfmnw8zr.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Good stuff. I have been very impressed with the Jantzen Superes resistors which I'm assuming they are using.

Not as bright as Mundorf lox with similar detail
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Jesse, would you not be able to mod a standard set of the S400's to your liking/preference?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    F1nut wrote: »
    It also proves that crossover components do indeed matter.

Indeed.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    VR3 wrote: »
    Good stuff. I have been very impressed with the Jantzen Superes resistors which I'm assuming they are using.

Not as bright as Mundorf lox with similar detail

You assumed correctly.
    The Signature is equipped with an High-End crossover made by the Danish Jantzen Audio team. We use Superior caps for the tweeter network and Cross caps for the woofer network. All inductors are baked air coils for low distortion. Resistors are Superres 1% tolerance.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    halo wrote: »
    Jesse, would you not be able to mod a standard set of the S400's to your liking/preference?

I talked about this in the linked thread. It didn't appear possible to remove the crossover to work on it.

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo wrote: »

I talked about this in the linked thread. It didn't appear possible to remove the crossover to work on it.

Bummer
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    PURDY.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Thought I'd add a pic of the latest SE edition, which came in Nordic raw oak.
    0tcfb3m0j4ys.jpg

That finish is beautiful!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Man that’s a beautiful veneer.
  • F1nut
    I need to make a correction. I'm not sure how I got this wrong, but SE stands for Signature Edition, not Special Edition. Sorry for any confusion.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I forgive you.
  • F1nut
    LOL....thanks.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I heard the non-SE versions at Axpona last year being powered by a Parasound JC5 amplifier. The tight and controlled bass had astounding depth and speed. It's perfection still haunts me.
  • halo
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It's perfection still haunts me.

BOO!!! :p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They also have another model that appears to not be a slouch either....for under a g note. They also over a 10 year warranty, and free shipping world wide.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    Thought I'd add a pic of the latest SE edition, which came in Nordic raw oak.
    0tcfb3m0j4ys.jpg

They should have left that worm hole unfilled. That'd have been cool!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut wrote: »
    I need to make a correction. I'm not sure how I got this wrong, but SE stands for Signature Edition, not Special Edition. Sorry for any confusion.

I will never believe another word written here!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I thought that I’d post here rather than starting a new thread. John Darko (Darko.Audio) recently reviewed the A500. It’s an active version of the S400, with some modifications, notably that the tweeter is now more conventionally on top. It can be purchased with or without a streaming hub. It’s not cheap, but especially with the hub, appears to be very versatile. There are multiple tuning programs available and there is room correction below 300 Hz, among other goodies. The review is a longish (30 minute) video, in which John is about as enthusiastic as he gets about new products. It follows a recent podcast in which John discusses this speaker and other topics with Mads Buchardt. I checked out their site, @F1nut, and the S400 Signature Edition is still listed as sold out.
  • F1nut
    That's the last run, which sold out a long time ago.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    IMO, this is the only version (SE version) of the S400 they should be selling. During the last year I demoed monitors in my office, which ranged from $5k to $7k, this SE version at $2600.00 beat all of them. If they do another run of the SE version I believe I'll have to buy a pair.

Link to previous thread, https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184028/zero-fidelity-reviews-the-buchardt-s400

I just received an email from Buchard today. This might be your Huckleberry Jesse

Wish I had a room I could put them in…

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-signature-edition
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    edited April 2021
    GlennDog wrote: »
    IMO, this is the only version (SE version) of the S400 they should be selling. During the last year I demoed monitors in my office, which ranged from $5k to $7k, this SE version at $2600.00 beat all of them. If they do another run of the SE version I believe I'll have to buy a pair.

I just received an email from Buchard today. This might be your Huckleberry Jesse

Wish I had a room I could put them in…

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-signature-edition

Thanks, I saw it a few days ago. Unfortunately, I don't like the cabinet color.....at all.

Not sure why they are calling the color graphite because graphite is a very dark gray. What they have there is what's known as pickled oak. Basically, a white stain that's wiped back, so that most of the white stays in the grain pores with a little left on the surface level.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    They also have a nice integrated amp to go along. Seems you get your bucks worth, it's no whimpy amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    They also have a nice integrated amp to go along. Seems you get your bucks worth, it's no whimpy amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Thanks, I saw it a few days ago. Unfortunately, I don't like the cabinet color.....at all.

Not sure why they are calling the color graphite because graphite is a very dark gray. What they have there is what's known as pickled oak. Basically, a white stain that's wiped back, so that most of the white stays in the grain pores with a little left on the surface level.

That's one of the ugliest looking finishes I've seen in a while. Maybe the style is trendy in Scandinavia. Looks like bleached driftwood and accentuates the fact that the speakers are little more than somewhat angular boxes.

• F1nut
    Yep

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Looks like that distressed white wash barn wood people like so much, not a big fan
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Another run of 50 available mañana!

No info on pricing, but a sexier looking speaker 🔊 than the pickled white wash

https://buchardtaudio.com/pages/s400mkii-se-soon?customer_posted=true#contact_form

usn15502qa03.png
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    That finish looks much nicer

Polk should do something like that for the fifty year anniversary. 50 pairs of a sda monitor, 3k a pair.

Sign me up
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Zebra wood, €2,750. Still available when I looked.