Buchardt S400 versus Buchardt S400 Special Edition

2»

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    F1nut wrote: »
    During the last year I demoed monitors in my office, which ranged from $5k to $7k, this SE version at $2600.00 beat all of them. If they do another run of the SE version I believe I'll have to buy a pair.

Jesse,
    Curious minds would like to know . . .

Can you share the models that Buchardt bested in your listening sessions ?

just wondering, bc ... today I did a thing

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    What'd ya do
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited August 2022
    trusting Jesse's ears and the reviews . . . . I sprung for the Zebra clad S400 MKII Siggy
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2022
    GlennDog wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    During the last year I demoed monitors in my office, which ranged from $5k to $7k, this SE version at $2600.00 beat all of them. If they do another run of the SE version I believe I'll have to buy a pair.

Jesse,
    Curious minds would like to know . . .

Can you share the models that Buchardt bested in your listening sessions ?

just wondering, bc ... today I did a thing

You're testing my little grey cells...lol

The only ones I recall right now are the Aerial 5t with a special finish or some such and a pair Skip had, but I don't recall the name and a pair made by a French company that I don't recall the name of. It wasn't Triangle. I believe there was another one, but I'm drawing a complete blank on them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    VR3 wrote: »
    That finish looks much nicer

Polk should do something like that for the fifty year anniversary. 50 pairs of a sda monitor, 3k a pair.

Sign me up

Polk could / should also do a modern take on the something like a monitor 5 or 7.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Braddles63 wrote: »

Polk should do something like that for the fifty year anniversary. 50 pairs of a sda monitor, 3k a pair.

Sign me up

Polk could / should also do a modern take on the something like a monitor 5 or 7.

Agree it would be nice. But, it's a curiosity to me why so many companies have been putting out wide baffle speakers for two channel systems in the last few years. I like them but it seems like a strange trend given the direction speaker design has trended towards in the last 30 years. Marketing seems to be nostalgia driven.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Nostalgia $$$$$$
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Braddles63 wrote: »

Sign me up

Agree it would be nice. But, it's a curiosity to me why so many companies have been putting out wide baffle speakers for two channel systems in the last few years. I like them but it seems like a strange trend given the direction speaker design has trended towards in the last 30 years. Marketing seems to be nostalgia driven.

Small speakers became so ubiquitous, but demand for silver-faced receivers, warm, full sounding speakers, and as you mentioned nostalgia, have rejuvenated new models of old speaker design.

I actually like this trend, because some of those old designs sounded dreadful (some excellent too), but modern driver technology gives new life to this segment, IMO.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.