2021 Genesis GV80

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,862
What do you guys think of this new vehicle?

https://driving.ca/genesis/new-car-preview/suv/first-look-2021-genesis-gv80

I don't mind the overall look of it except I am not sure of the front grill. I have no clue as to the general reliability of Genesis.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    Genesis (Hyundai's answer to Lexus, I guess) seems to get pretty darned good press and have a pretty darned good reputation so far.

I am still leery of Korean-produced automobiles, but their car industry's come a long, long way in a short time, so, who knows?

Heck, in the days of the Subaru Justy or the original BRAT (heh, or the 360), I never could've imagined owning one -- but own a Subaru I do.

zizevp7blb5y.png
    (borrowed image needless to say)

• Willow
    I know that the Koreans branched out to form a luxury arm. This one is interesting as it is their first SUV. As you mentioned, to keep up with Lexus and Acura and compete with Merc, BMW and Audi. I too believe they have come a long way since the days of the Pony.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    Very nice cars that need time to prove whether they're reliable or not. Too early to tell at this point. About the only thing you could do is hang out on the Genesis forums and see what owners are experiencing.
  • mhardy6647
    I think their sedans (I think the Genesis started as a sedan per se) have a pretty good reputation in terms of quality, reliability, and support. I see 'em here on the freeways -- don't know of any local Genensises :p running around, though -- folks here all tend to buy pickup trucks... or Teslas nowadays... or Subarus. ;)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Last year my brother was shopping for a new car to replace his M3. He ended up with a Audi s7, but the other finalist after test driving all other potential vehicles was the genesis sedan. He loved everything about it - went back and forth for days because he couldn’t decide. He said the ride quality, fit and finish and general appearance of the genesis was very impressive but ultimately decided on the s7 by a slim margin.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    It's hard to tell if it's on the same platform as the Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride. Those get rave reviews for the feature content and styling but mainly on price for what one seems to get. One worrying thing though that only a couple of reviewers seem to have picked up on is that their body structures are not as solid as more well established models like the Toyota Highlander. To me when a vehicle has a lot of features and a lower price than other companies, some corners had to be cut somewhere in terms of quality and engineering that can't be immediately seen but can be a big problem after a few years. That's why the Hyundai family keeps a 10 year powertrain warranty.

I have an Audi from new that still looks brand new after four years. Seats have no wear, underbody is rust free, paint is perfect. All around a well built car, but it was not cheap!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Genesis (Hyundai's answer to Lexus, I guess) seems to get pretty darned good press and have a pretty darned good reputation so far.

I am still leery of Korean-produced automobiles, but their car industry's come a long, long way in a short time, so, who knows?

I've owned Kia Stinger since April. So far, it's the best car I've ever had. Time will telll however.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Friends with recent Hyundai or Kia models are pleased with them. Depending on the size of this upcoming model, I would probably look hard at it versus certified preowned Mercedes, Audi and BMW models (GLC, Q5, X3) when we move to a more upscale small SUV.
  • Emlyn
    If I bought a Genesis I'd feel obliged to make the first thing played on the stereo the song Dance on a Volcano. I've looked at their sedans, especially the G80. One thing that's cool about Genesis is their valet service where they'll send a loaner car to your house or place of work if the car needs service and return yours when they're finished. They're trying to earn business from the others.
  • Willow
    I am in no way looking at one right now, I'd never buy a first year run of a vehicle. We will be looking in the next 2 years.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    My brother drives a G80, loves it. I've been in it many times, it's a damn fine car.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    How do you fit a coffin in a car?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It's a big car
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Wheelbase is 116.3”, length is 194.7”. A bit too big for what we are looking at. Should be on sale this summer.
  • mhardy6647
    OleBoot wrote: »
    27ekparo8g52.png

dang, ol' son, you beat me to it.
    That's the Hyundai version; here's the Kia...

c3wg3y0xbut5.png
  • charley96
    As I stated before, long term ownership is the question where it’s too early to tell now. Very nice car no doubt. Of course not everyone keeps a car long term. Most reviews are worthless, listen to MotorWeek and they’ll tell ya a Mini is a smart choice. If I’m buying HiFi, I’ll read reviews on the item I’m interested in but I’m coming to this forum for real world advice. Lot of guys on here that know a thousand times more than I do about gear.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Going on my 10th year of owning a Hyundai santa fe and 9 years on a sonata both bought new. Knock on wood the only problem so far with either car is the radio cuts out sometimes in the santa fe. Yes I'll definitely buy another hyundai as problem free is a refreshing change from the last new car I bought; an 03 mustang rag top
  • Willow
    We keep our cars. our 07 Rav and our 2012 RDX. The rav is starting with some skin cancer and other little things but it still runs just fine.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Why are so many upper end cars moving the main LCD screen out of the dash to a fuggly, cheap looking protrusion up on top of the dash? Reminds me of when lower end vehicles started adding the screens and instead of redesigning the dash, they just plopped one on top. Maybe it’s easier to see at a glance? But a well designed dash with a large integrated LCD looks so much nicer.

Regardless, I have not heard many bad things about Hyundai’s. They’ve been around for MANY years. I think they’ve proven they can compete with some of the big players.

Regarding loaner vehicles - that is impressive! Not many do that. I know Lexus does (even for an oil change) for both their new AND certified pre-owned as long as you own them. But I don’t know if many others that offer that outside of the standard warranty for larger repairs.
  • Willow
    My wife and I were talking about that last night on the way home from work. She said "why do so many cars have what looks like a tablet sticking out from the top of their dash, it doesn't look as clean as one integrated in the dash" I replied that I really don't know the reason, perhaps helps with glare or accessibility if/when they go bad.

I can still get a loaner from Acura if I want one. I usually wait around when I'm getting an oil change, drink their coffee, water and use their wifi to surf CP!
  • Emlyn
    The GV80 has more info out. It will be on a dedicated new chassis that’s rear wheel drive based, not the front wheel drive minivan chassis used for the Palisade and Telluride. Of course the newness of the platform may be all the more reason to avoid buying one in the first year or two.
  • deronb1
    The protruding screen lends to keeping one's eyes on the road.
  • Willow
    deronb1 wrote: »
    The protruding screen lends to keeping one's eyes on the road.

or leads to easier access to be distracted by something else.
  • Emlyn
    The screens are in a transition period because some buyers still want physical buttons and a CD player in a normal car. Only so much room to put everything integrated in the dash. With air vents, physical buttons, and a screen which may be touchscreen or activated through a physical pad or dial the only place to put a screen has been up. The newer cars are doing a better job of integration. The RAM 1500 and Lexus ES350 seem to be doing things right. I also don’t like the tacked on look and wouldn’t buy something where the screen is stuck on top of the dash. That’s just lazy design.
  • deronb1
    ntkcka4isi9d.jpg

Where else would you put the screen in this vehicle?
  • charley96
    Mine is recessed but has the mouse control that most people don't like. I does help reduce sun glare though.6juclqufzws7.jpg
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think it's a really nice vehicle. Looks like they study the Germans and take many pointers from what they do. I'm no fan of Genesis personally.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    No offense to anyone, but I buy American whenever I can.
  • deronb1
    krazypolk wrote: »
    No offense to anyone, but I buy American whenever I can.

Nothing is "American" anymore.