2021 Genesis GV80

Options

Comments

• krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    krazypolk wrote: »
    No offense to anyone, but I buy American whenever I can.

Nothing is "American" anymore.

Looks like you have given up.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

Nice! What American car would that be?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    American built cars? Could be Honda, Toyota, Subaru, BMW, Volkswagen, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai, Fiat Chrysler, Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan, Mercedes, Acura...but not Genesis (yet). I may have missed a couple. :D
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options

Nothing is "American" anymore.

Was referring to cars.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    The most "American" autos one may buy today are things like Toyotas.
    Actually, the Teslas might have more American-made stuff in 'em than any of the big-name brands (not stating this as fact, just speculating).
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    Looks a lot like a Land Rover to me. But still nice.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Looks a lot like a Land Rover to me. But still nice.

Pretty much guarantee 1000x more reliable than LR
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    New Land Rovers are not as unreliable as are the older ones, but yeah.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    New Land Rovers are not as unreliable as are the older ones, but yeah.

"d@mning with faint praise" ;)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    That’s it exactly. I like some of LR’s current models, but if I were able to afford them, I’d think twice about it. Old reliability issues die hard and the nearest dealer is 50 miles away.
  • Willow
    Options
    They look nice for sure but how much would I be looking at it while it's in the shop more often than not.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    Options
    There are myriad abandoned "modern" Land Rovers in good physical condition dotting the landscape up here in the Upper Valley.
    As an ironic aside, our arborist collects real Land Rovers. Talk about a sickness... ;)
    (he'll tell you so himself)
    He's a piece of work (and I do mean that as a compliment)! A couple of years ago, his wife, frustrated by their town's unwillingness to spend the money for a new police car for their tiny (and woefully poorly resourced) police dept., started a 503-whatever charity and took up a collection to buy a new one for 'em! Which they (the charity, that is) did.

The cruiser has a thank-you painted on its side... I might have a photo of it someplace...

EDIT: heh... thanks to the internet, the next best thing :)
    6qkysz6s8a5w.png

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    Has anyone driven the Genesis car?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Has anyone driven the Genesis car?

Roy, my post from page one.
    F1nut wrote: »
    My brother drives a G80, loves it. I've been in it many times, it's a damn fine car.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,938
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I have a friend who replaced an Acura RL with a Genesis G80 V6 Turbo. His impression echoes what can be read in multiple online reviews: it’s a good car, and good value, but just like the Acura (in his opinion), it’s not very exciting in terms of driving dynamics and handling. Also, the fuel economy is about where German imports were 15 years ago. That is terrible by today’s standards, as most of those vehicles have added around 10 mpg in expected economy since then (two full generations of improvements).

But none of that really matters, though, if one is not buying in the near term, as a mid-cycle refresh is expected in a year or two, and there could be significant improvements.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options

Well, the American model most directly competing with the G80 would be the CTS, and Cadillac have already announced that they will cease production, and there will be no 2020 model year vehicle offered, so unless one wants an SUV, there is no American equivalent.

Also, the CTS is goddam ugly IMHO 😉.
    Alea jacta est!
  • engtaz
    Options
    I have a friend who has one and im very impressed with it too.
    engtaz

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Seems like the GV80 may look quite similar to the Lincoln Nautilus Black Label:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka22MmniYWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXa1-sCtuE8
  • engtaz
    Options
    LOL they all start looking alike when it comes to the new smaller SUV's.
    engtaz

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    LOL they all start looking alike when it comes to the new smaller SUV's.

They do indeed -- some of that is rooted in a sensible rationale: worldwide efficiency standards drive (no pun intended) the implementation of designs with good aerodynamics (low coefficient of friction, minimal air flow underneath and minimal 'back-suck' behind the vehicle), so the shape is pretty much determined by that. Thus we get SUVs that all look, more or less, like sneakers from the side. :|

The other piece - IMO! - is the long-standing lemming mentality of the industry vis- a-vis styling. Everyone wants to be middle of the pack (sort of like salaries and benefits packages in businesses!). Someone sticks their toe into colder, deeper water, it doesn't get bitten off by a shark*, and then everybody's in.

-Consider the Star Wars Storm Trooper look. Toyota, at least, was all-in for a few years. :/ Thankfully, that seems to be losing traction (heh, another car pun -- not intended).

In 2019, I noticed the funny taillights (maybe one might call them, "C-shaped"... at least the left one) that Subaru had put on the 'new' Forester. Now, it seems, most of the Japanese (at least) cars have adopted that look. I have no
    idea
    why. Stuff like this is the 21st Century version of tail fins, I would opine.

9sk9knd0jrd8.png

cf. the 2020 Honda Accord

5zabpxcf54c4.png

But, heck, if it was up to me, cars would probably look like the old Volvo 760 :#

vk5zzo4de68g.png

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The Lincoln Nautilus looks like an Audi.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The protruding screen lends to keeping one's eyes on the road.

I agree, when we bought my wife's Q5 I wasn't sure I would like the screen were it was located. If you want to look at it you don't have to look down as much to see it when driving.

1h0wvlo8zuow.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    ...when we bought my wife's Q5...

Did you PULL THE TRIGGER on a Q5? :p

Q5 - "Pull the Trigger" Floyd Rose on guitar. Overuse of the locking tremelo, perhaps? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBN5CqtyFUw

• Kex
    Options
    Gave up after two interruptions for commercials from YouTube (which is why I’ll never buy an Android or use Google Chrome again...), but great presentation, and you seem sold on it.

There really don’t seem to be any compelling reasons to avoid it (other than higher than usual expected MPG for the segment), so you should go for it, and enjoy it IMO.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Willow
    Options
    I'm not sold on it. Just think it looks nice. We are not looking for another 2 years unless our 2nd vehicle dies before then.
  • Kex
    Options
    It does look nice!

The Korean brands seem to where Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti were thirty years ago or so. Just as the luxury divisions of those brands forced the German’s to rethink their strategy, the Korean brands seem to be forcing the Japanese brands to rethink theirs.

Just from driving rental cars over the past ten years, I’d suggest that it’s obvious that the Koreans stole the thunder from the Japanese in the non-luxury segment, hence the latest offerings from Toyota and Honda have improved immensely.

The fledgling Korean luxury brands started out as a bit of a joke fifteen years ago, but not any more.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I can tell you this, my Telluride is a sweet ride! Who’da think it’s from Kia...

c2bkfoz8rtde.jpeg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2020
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I can tell you this, my Telluride is a sweet ride! Who’da think it’s from Kia...
    c2bkfoz8rtde.jpeg
    In the 90's my sister-in-law had a Kia that had over 50% of the paint peel off the hood down to bare the metal unlike any car I'd ever seen. The car was not that old and had electrical problems, mechanical problems, etc.

Never in a million years would I have guessed they would produce something like your vehicle or the Stinger. Both are cars I would love to lease for a couple of years to give Kia a try.

Heck, I was hot after the Optima when it got redesigned back in '10-'11. I actually went to the dealer to check them out. Was set on getting this color and modifying it just like this one:
    334050_2921278474328_403880314_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=gQOzNXinClsAX8C44Iy&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=ebc209372cb3b7457e179f83372c713c&oe=5ED7F238

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I hear you! My old Chrysler 300M Special has over 200K miles and its time to replace her. I was actually looking to buy a used big American sporty sedan as they are going away. This one has to last another ten years. The reality is.... how many sedans are actually made here? So I kept my options open to all brands. I was looking at the Chevy Impala, Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon, Chrysler 300, and the Lexus ES. I was dead set on getting a '16-'17 Avalon Touring model because the car was designed by an American design team headed by a minority. Its made here in the US and 70% of the parts are American sourced. Plus I love the look of this generation and the reliability.

In the end I ended running across a '17 Chrysler 300S with 20K mile on it. The price and color was right. This Detroit born son of an autoworker tried to buy an American car....but it just happens to be made in Canada and Chrysler is now part of FIAT!

dpvjxo0wbhjh.jpg
    chryslers-imported-from-detroit-bumper-sticker_100344130_m.jpg
    ???
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2