Star Trek Discovery

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited January 2020 in Music & Movies
So I admit. I'm a big Star Trek Fan. And yes I was a little kid as we watched TOS on TV! IIRC after the show was syndicated :smile: I also remember at the time I, or any of my brothers and sisters, was Dad's human remote control when the clicker died! :smile:

Anyone watch the latest, Discovery? I just finished season 1, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Set 10 years before Kirk, I loved the references to some characters, scenarios, and even guest appearances, that would appear in TOS! Season 2 is next on my list!

o4xak32ryvlm.png

Edited for punctuation errors! Thanks Jimmy! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Why did you write "brothers" and "sisters" as possessive? :|
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »

Thank you Jimmy! Ah the new year, and my writing skills continue to be improved! :smile:

So how about the new Star Trek series? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very "Woke", but also very well done. I especially like emperor Georgiou
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    edited January 2020
    Very "Woke", but also very well done. I especially like emperor Georgiou

I agree Dave! Yeah the woke part, but overall well done! Nice lead-ins to what lies ahead with Kirk and TOS.

Interesting, just found this link where Her Highness is doing a spin off show!
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a25893812/star-trek-discovery-spin-off-michelle-yeoh-georgiou/
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :s:'(
    I can't stream yet.
    I think I saw where season 3 is online already. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    :s:'(
    I can't stream yet.
    I think I saw where season 3 is online already. ;)

You'll love it Tony! And yes season 1 and 2 is out there for streaming! :wink:
  • westmassguy
    Michelle Yeoh is very talented and chews through that role.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    Michelle Yeoh is very talented and chews through that role.

I thought she looked familiar! I first saw her in this film:
    m0sy65iwjgci.png

• westmassguy
    She's been in a lot of films and television shows:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000706/
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Hermitism wrote: »
    With the exception of TOS, every subsequent Star Trek series took two seasons before it got good. The first two years were pretty bad. Discovery has had the strongest first two seasons of any of the series by far, since the original. I thought season two was even better than the first season. Anson Mount (Hell On Wheels) was a great addition to the cast for season two. It made we wish that the series was about the exploits of Christopher Pike. Although Michael Burnham is an excellent character and the actress that plays her is exceptional. I purchased both seasons on disc, as I do not subscribe to CBS All Access. Just finished season two yesterday.

If I had one complaint, and this isn't really a spoiler, it's that the technology is far too advanced for the time period. This takes place between Star Trek Enterprise and TOS. Enterprise did a very good job of "dumbing down" the technology for the time period. It was believable. Discovery seems much more advanced than any Star Trek series or movie. I understand they don't want to make it look like it was made in the 60's, but they took some ambitious leaps forward in this series as far as technology goes And also in it's redesign of races and iconic ships.

Agreed on the tech. They did a great job with the uniforms and even the women's hairstyles on the Enterprise though. Very 60s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    Loved this line! :smile: Yep already into season 2!
    duxikxudod0d.png
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »

Thank you Jimmy! Ah the new year, and my writing skills continue to be improved! :smile:

mso4n2e1m9bf.jpg
  • verb

mso4n2e1m9bf.jpg

You found Walter!
    lpdx2f3emnj6.png
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Hermitism wrote: »
    If I had one complaint, and this isn't really a spoiler, it's that the technology is far too advanced for the time period. This takes place between Star Trek Enterprise and TOS. Enterprise did a very good job of "dumbing down" the technology for the time period. It was believable. Discovery seems much more advanced than any Star Trek series or movie. I understand they don't want to make it look like it was made in the 60's, but they took some ambitious leaps forward in this series as far as technology goes And also in it's redesign of races and iconic ships.

U.S.S. Discovery and Section 31 are not part of the regular Star Fleet shown in the original series, they are more comparable to the covert or special ops branches of our military, which have access to technology which is often a decade or more advanced than that normally deployed.

Advanced military technology is usually not widely deployed in the field in order to maintain secrecy and tactical advantage and to thoroughly test technology prior to widespread deployment.

The same technology time-lag scenarios are seen in commercial product development and pharmaceuticals.

With regard to the look of the U.S.S. Enterprise in Discovery, it really didn't/doesn't make sense to replicate the aesthetics of a restricted-budget 60's era television show when you are able to offer a much more advanced visual product to the viewing public and when you are financially able to more fully represent the aesthetic desired by the original producers. You may recall that the first Star Trek motion picture featured a U.S.S. Enterprise that was much sleeker externally and more luxurious and "high tech" than the original series ship. This was explained as being due to a "refit", but the practical, and real, answer is that the "plain Jane" filming model of the original series would have looked cheap, ugly, and toy-like compared to the visual effects available at the time of the movie. Indeed, the original series blu-ray set offers the opportunity to view each episode with the original 60s-era visual effects, or with modern visual effects.

An audio analogy to this is the extensive modifications I have done to my SDA SRS 1.2TLs. Some have been critical in saying that the modifications have turned the speakers into something totally unintended by the manufacturer. Actually the opposite is true. The modifications more fully realize sonic performance and aesthetic appearance that was either impractical, or impossible, to achieve in the 1980s.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Big Star Trek fan! Watched original while studying in college. Can never get enough of the adventure.

This is my favorite episode below of all shows. Posted previously in a different time.

We should realize time moves faster and slower for some. My favorite Star Trek episode comes from Star Trek Voyager - year 2000.

Blink Of An Eye

Stardate: Unknown

When Voyager is trapped in orbit of a unique planet, they learn that time moves far faster on that planet than in the rest of the galaxy. Although Voyager is stuck in orbit only for a matter of days, from the perspective of the planet, the "Sky ship" has been watching them for centuries, and becomes a guiding force for the development of their civilization.

http://www.tv.com/shows/star-trek-voyager/blink-of-an-eye-10771/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    0rkq7e7tzqhu.png

It's good to see that they've got aerodynamic, swept-back spaceships, now.
    For -- you know -- space.

• westmassguy
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    0rkq7e7tzqhu.png

And they sound a lot better now...in space
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    0rkq7e7tzqhu.png

And they sound a lot better now...in space

Yeah -- one of my pet peeves in space movies is that sound thing.
    2001 was great in that regard.

https://youtu.be/gpwvJzcfL1w
  • verb
    IIRC, is the Discovery capable of atmospheric flight? Like Voyager was.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Let me take a stab at this. I guess with it's implausible sperrm drive, uh, spore drive it could just blink onto the surface of a planet in a "parked position". But then it wouldn't be able to turn itself upside down to reactivate it's sperrm drive to exit the planet without damaging the saucer section by plowing into the ground. Of course, the alternative universe Enterprise was capable of entering an atmosphere without crashing, submerging itself in the ocean, and getting back to orbit easily. Yeah, I don't know the answer.
  • Viking64
    IIRC, is the Discovery capable of atmospheric flight? Like Voyager was.

"You already have the answer."

"It can be if you believe it can."

"You will find out soon enough."

jyje96ff7b6a.jpg
  • verb
    Yeah, anything's possible! I was trying to be a little snarky toward our beloved @mhardy6647 , but failed miserably! :smile:

But, Hermit you are absolutely spot on! Anson Mount kills the role of Captain Pike! Maybe a series on the 1st 5-year mission? Ya never know. Certainly yes if there is money to be made. :smile:
  • verb
    edited January 2020
    So I finished season 2! Awesome! I actually watched the last 2 episodes twice, wanting to catch all the fast action.

Wonder what they'll do for season 3? :smile:
  • Hermitism
    Dave, have you seen the trailer for season three yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ec8WnBHes
  • verb
    Thanks for sharing that Hermit! Very cool! :smile:
  • Hermitism
    I think it's going to be hard to top season two. When I heard Spock was going to be in it, I thought it was going to be a big mistake. I couldn't have been more wrong. Such a great season. I can't wait for Picard! As short as the seasons are, compared to traditional TV, I don't think they have to worry about over saturating the market with Star Trek.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    When it first came out I was excited. I watched a few Episodes and got very bored and didn't feel like it was going to get any better. Sounds like a cut out to soon.
    This thread inspired me to go revisit this. I have CBS streaming and waiting on Picard so this will give me another show to dig into.

Cool guys thanks.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Watched the first 2 or 3 but lost interest.
    Was so far from what I envisioned "Star Trek" to be that I was not able to just settle in and relax.

Maybe will try it again, but as Mantis says, Waiting on the Picard show!~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    This thread reminds me that I need to re-watch all of TNG.