Mustang - 900 HP, manual transmission

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    verb wrote: »
    but it's coming. Again, we'll most likely see it in the commercial transportation industry.

We already have. Just look at any major airport. The trams are all automatic with no human driving them.

But they are on computer controlled tracks going from point A to point B. Hard to do out in society with all the variables.

A fighter jet as Bruce likes to bring up, still has a pilot. A drone....moves that same human out of the pilots seat and into a control room miles away. Technology is great for giving the humans the information they need as quick as they need it, but the decision making is still left to the humans.

Automated vehicles is taking that decision making out of the hands of humans. Any kind of vehicle that travels at a decent amount of speed is basically a guided missile. Control over that guided missile is one I want, especially if I'm a passenger inside it, or those I love are inside it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Emlyn wrote: »

Everything will need to be standardized before people would trust their lives to that type of system and it would have to be a heavily controlled access system. Something like that is probably decades away. Can't even get a falling apart highway bridge rebuilt as it is now!

….AND who would run such a system ? Government ? You'd be willing to put your life in the hands of government/politicians ?

What kind of flowers would you like at your funeral ? :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am not sure why so many seem to be concerned, there are all kinds of vital systems run by computers in the you are driving now and could get you killed if they fail just right. This usually never happens because of fail safes and redundancy.
  • I would bet that by 2050 autonomous electric cars will be commonplace.

But don't worry, most of us will be dead by then.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I am not sure why so many seem to be concerned, there are all kinds of vital systems run by computers in the you are driving now and could get you killed if they fail just right. This usually never happens because of fail safes and redundancy.

Like what ? Normally when things fail, there is a human to take over who has experience.

Examples would be planes, pilot is there for a reason ya know. Trains still have humans. Sure, cars today have computer systems in them, some necessary, some not, but a human still has control.

Take Brians example of the Hyundai he rented. He was able to turn off the technology and assume control of the car. If he couldn't, things might have turned out differently for him. Plus, having taken over control of the car, he had experience in doing so, in driving under different conditions.

Boeing just had to kick the robots to the curb building their new 777's and replace them with actual mechanics because of mistakes. Why ? Because there is value in human life, liability that comes with transporting humans. Remove that liability, your removing the value of human life.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    @tonyb like the sophisticated braking/traction control systems in modern car. I don't think I need to explain what could happen if that goes haywire.

As I said 79 percent of air fatalities are due to human error. Did you know that the F-35 is projected to be the last manned US fighter jet?

Of course there's value in human life, machines need batteries.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Boeing just had to kick the robots to the curb building their new 777's and replace them with actual mechanics because of mistakes. Why ? Because there is value in human life, liability that comes with transporting humans. Remove that liability, your removing the value of human life.

Not sure that I'd hold Boeing up as an exemplar of valuing human life, or of making good corporate decisions related to same.

:(

• afterburnt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Not sure that I'd hold Boeing up as an exemplar of valuing human life, or of making good corporate decisions related to same.

Yeah, I heard something about them 737's crashing because Boeing was in a hurry to keep up with the "greens".
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I get your point on their recent troubles, but generally speaking, airplanes have a safety record second to none, and that's because of the attention given to it, human interactions flying them, and liability for human life.

After all, if the liability wasn't there, would planes be as safe today ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    @tonyb like the sophisticated braking/traction control systems in modern car. I don't think I need to explain what could happen if that goes haywire.

As I said 79 percent of air fatalities are due to human error. Did you know that the F-35 is projected to be the last manned US fighter jet?

Braking and traction control, when they fail, a dummy light comes on to inform you. You can still stop the car....maybe not as fast though.

Unmanned fighter jet you say ? I don't think I need to explain what can happen if that goes haywire too. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Let's see, 4 out of 5 people that die in air crashes are killed by their pilots not by computers. I don't know about you but I will be traveling by "Johnny Jet" and "Johnny Cab" Glenn Quagmire ain't killin me!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I had to look it up. Because traffic tickets vary wildly in price the estimate is 3.75 to 7.5 billion dollars a year in the US of A.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt

Braking and traction control, when they fail, a dummy light comes on to inform you. You can still stop the car....maybe not as fast though.

Unmanned fighter jet you say ? I don't think I need to explain what can happen if that goes haywire too. :)

Damnit Tony I am not talking about going on the blink, I am talking about haywire sending you into the spin cycle! That thing controls your brakes not you.
    "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    krazypolk wrote: »
    This always boils my blood. How dare someone parade around town on an American car in America with a mexican flag.
    verb wrote: »
    High tech back in the day?, these curb feelers get my vote for style! :smile:
    u8rbuk1p3l0k.png

Commifornia license plate, what else did you expect?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    We do occasionally see Irish flags, Italian flags, and even Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (not U.K.) flags too... It’s just like saying you’re a proud Irish-American, is it not? 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Well..., the way I look at it I happen to be an American who is of Scottish decent (among others). But, like I said, that’s the way I look at it. I don’t fly Scotland’s flag at my house, or on my vehicle...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyb

Damnit Tony I am not talking about going on the blink, I am talking about haywire sending you into the spin cycle! That thing controls your brakes not you.
    "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

LMAO....I hear ya man, I just never heard of those systems actually doing what your describing.

Of course one can always hack those systems too and you'd be in trouble. Didn't someone years ago demonstrate that with a Jeep ? A human isn't hackable, but they do have faults too.

….and a fighter jet that goes haywire, carrying missiles yet....what can possibly go wrong if one of our enemies hack that ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Well..., the way I look at it I happen to be an American who is of Scottish decent (among others). But, like I said, that’s the way I look at it. I don’t fly Scotland’s flag at my house, or on my vehicle...

I see people walking around wearing hammer and sickle and Che tee shirts. It’s just like saying you’re a proud moron.
  • afterburnt

LMAO....I hear ya man, I just never heard of those systems actually doing what your describing.

Of course one can always hack those systems too and you'd be in trouble. Didn't someone years ago demonstrate that with a Jeep ? A human isn't hackable, but they do have faults too.

….and a fighter jet that goes haywire, carrying missiles yet....what can possibly go wrong if one of our enemies hack that ?

Tony that's my point, it like never happens. BTW people can be hacked, aint you never seen Telefon?
  • tonyb

I see people walking around wearing hammer and sickle and Che tee shirts. It’s just like saying you’re a proud moron.

LMAO....INDEED !!

Nothing wrong though with displaying one's own national pride, while still being part of the melting pot we call America.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    As I said 79 percent of air fatalities are due to human error...
    I believe that NHTSA estimates that a similar percentage of road deaths are caused by human error. Among some of the top causes:
    • Distracted Driving
    • Speeding
    • Driving under the influence (alcohol/drugs)
    • Reckless driving
    • Running red lights
    • Running stop signs
    • Unsafe lane changes
    • Wrong way driving
    • Improper turns
    • Tailgating
    • Road rage
    • Drowsy driving

Autonomous vehicles (electric powered or otherwise) are unlikely to be involved in any of those scenarios.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    Kex wrote: »
    I believe that NHTSA estimates that a similar percentage of road deaths are caused by human error. Among some of the top causes:
    • Distracted Driving
    • Speeding
    • Reckless driving
    • Running red lights
    • Running stop signs
    • Unsafe lane changes
    • Wrong way driving
    • Improper turns
    • Tailgating
    • Road rage
    • Drowsy driving

Autonomous vehicles (electric powered or otherwise) are unlikely to be involved in any of those scenarios.

Really ? They already are.

Distractive driving....hello
    Unsafe lane changes, and a few others can also happen if the system doesn't recognize it. Such as...recent changes to traffic like construction zones. Such as, new stop signs and traffic control signs recently installed. How about flaggers in a construction zone where you have to actually see what they want you to do. How about wind, blowing things in front of you like garbage cans....a semi on the highway. Ever see a semi in a wind storm on the highway ? A car swerving in front of you ? Will the car tell you he's an idiot, possibly drunk, and make evasive maneuvers ?

Too many variables to give control over to tech.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    edited November 2019
    I think you are confusing what people do in Teslas (Level 2) with what Level 4 or Level 5 cars will be capable of (the distracted driving in particular). But anyway... all this autonomous driving discussion doesn’t have much to do with a Mustang EV with a manual transmission: it will not be driving itself, ever!
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Autonomous vehicles are a solution looking for a problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Kex wrote: »
    • Distracted Driving
    • Speeding
    • Reckless driving
    • Running red lights
    • Running stop signs
    • Unsafe lane changes
    • Wrong way driving
    • Improper turns
    • Tailgating
    • Road rage
    • Drowsy driving

Really ? They already are.

Distractive driving....hello
    Unsafe lane changes, and a few others can also happen if the system doesn't recognize it. Such as...recent changes to traffic like construction zones. Such as, new stop signs and traffic control signs recently installed. How about flaggers in a construction zone where you have to actually see what they want you to do. How about wind, blowing things in front of you like garbage cans....a semi on the highway. Ever see a semi in a wind storm on the highway ? A car swerving in front of you ? Will the car tell you he's an idiot, possibly drunk, and make evasive maneuvers ?

Too many variables to give control over to tech.

360 degree Radar, IR, TV etc. would be infinitely more able to respond to anything that you descibed than a stoopid human that keep stubbing his pinky toe on a coffee table that never moves.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

LMAO....INDEED !!

Nothing wrong though with displaying one's own national pride, while still being part of the melting pot we call America.

Yep. Gotta be proud of one's heritage! Good to see the car is flying an American Flag too, otherwise yes it may be interpreted differently!

Heck, we even have a mini-flag of South Vietnam. Our way of paying homage to the history of where the Mrs came from.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Kex
    “Everything that moves will have autonomous capability or be fully autonomous. [...] This is a foregone conclusion.”
    Jensen Huang - Founder, President and CEO.
    Nvidia Corporation - Market cap: $128B.
    Conference call, quarterly earnings, November 14 2019

Some of the examples he mentioned included:
    • Passenger owned vehicles.
    • Robot taxis.
    • Trucks.
    • Shuttles.
    • Goods vehicles.
    • Grocery delivery.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I WANT TO DRIVE!! If I wanted someone else to drive I'd have a chauffeur and OF course Grey Poupon .....

carry on. :p
  • Kex
    Definitely like to drive for pleasure - sometimes - like up a canyon or along the coast on PCH... but 99% of the time, driving because I have to (maybe in bumper to bumper traffic) is not fun. Having the option to choose when and where I want to drive, and when I want to take a break without stopping might be nice.

Also, I just enjoy watching technology improve.
    Alea jacta est!