Sous-Vide Cooking - Let's get down to business!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    STEAK FIIIIIITE!!!!!!!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    The photos are also a bit misleading... the steaks cooked traditionally look as though they were driven over with a truck to flatten them, as was the egg. A photo doesn’t say much about taste anyway.

Sous-vide is probably much easier to master, and use repeatedly with the same expected result. It’s easy to understand the enthusiasm for the method for some.

Great discussion, though!
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I have to ask, has anyone done pork using this method? Either ribs, shoulder, or tenderloin, in that order of curiosity. I've always held to the belief that you can't cook
    pork in water first, but the whole idea of doing it in a sealed bag is interesting.

No matter, my OK Joes won't be for sale anytime soon... ;)

I used to simmer swine ribs in a pot and then cook potatoes in the broth. the potatoes were amazing and the ribs were super tender. This was the winter ribs method and they weren't bad for finishing in the oven. Alas, I am now vegan so I only eat live animals.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Some pics of Sous Vide with the fancy torch and smoke setup

pbehaiqpzkm6.png
    de2qltvf9dtd.jpeg
    oel8zwf6onzy.png
    vtjb1u2ulcej.jpeg
    mtqaav7s0qpx.jpeg
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    The Malliard reaction to brown something is much more dependent on temperature than time. Ever make toast? Put bread in a high end toaster and it doesn't take long and comes out golden brown. And the center of the bread is still moist. Try toasting bread at a lower temperature in an oven and it will still get golden brown but the center will be dry and crusty (IE Toast). Same goes for steaks. You need the surface of the meat to get to approx 300 degrees before the Malliard reaction starts working. But the problem is moisture from the steak boils off at 212. So higher temperatures and shorter times are better. Lower temperatures start boiling off a lot of the moisture giving a drier steak before it gets a chance to brown.

This is why they have things like the reverse sear or grilling a steak low then searing with standard methods. You cannot cook a steak thru at 1000 degrees. It would be nicely browned but the center would be raw and cold. With Sous vide you don't have to worry about the center. It is already cooked perfectly. Just concentrate of the perfect sear. It will taste just as browned and beefy.

Not sure why there are so many skeptics that think their way is perfect (who knows it might be) and won't even consider trying anything different. Experiment once with the beer cooler method with a 2 inch thick steak. All it will cost you is one ziplock bag and 2 hours of your time. Then let us know what you think. It would have more value than just saying Sous-vide sucks, never tried it, and I never will try it.

I also noticed some of the pictures showed thin 3/4 inch steaks. For these just cook it with standard methods. Sous-vide is a waste of time. But for 1 1/2 inches and up its the only way to go. Same for those thick pork chops. They are impossible to grill without drying them out.
  • halen
    Options
    I explored many different type of grills for home as well as camping. I tried searing steaks over 1800 degrees of hot matter heat.

Tried cast iron searing my steak on the Solo Stove. Drafted Butter and garlic
    4e1edd4a2rj7.jpeg

Firebox stove. Which I love and spend lots of evenings grilling now. Though I have real setups, it is for the love of grilling.
    cylnw7kv003p.jpeg
    xmva55ouge93.jpeg
    okkda93l3zdi.jpeg
    97cm9a95z9fb.jpeg

• halen
    Options
    I like to try all types of seasonings and other people marinades. In a sense you have to try at least once to be well rounded.

Personally, I prefer just sea salt and pepper. The kind you have to grind yourself. I like the meat for the meat not what the meat gets drowned in.

The one thing I have not tried yet but will. Is grilling steak or meats in general, over a two inch slab of pink Himalayan sea salt.

Cheers all. Now back to my new HBO show “His Dark Materials”. While slowly grilling some meats over my Firebox stove outside in this beautiful Dallas weather.

halen
  • afterburnt
    Options
    This thread is making me want a fried baloney sammich
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited November 2019
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Don't get us started on Sous-vide baloney.

I will have to ask my girlfriend about it. She makes all of my Sammiches............ :)
  • afterburnt
    Options
    delkal wrote: »

Don't get us started on Sous-vide baloney.

I will have to ask my girlfriend about it. She makes all of my Sammiches............ :)

You got a girlfriend that makes sammiches! Would it be too much to ask if you could send me some of her hair follicles or some dead skin?
  • halen
    Options
    But have you tried a Sous Vide Baloney sammich?

Sous Vide have its place, it is just another approach to cooking. I dig it for what it is.

Okay I need to stay offline now. These damn Polk commercial breaks.

• afterburnt
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    But have you tried a Sous Vide Baloney sammich?

Sous Vide have its place, it is just another approach to cooking. I dig it for what it is.

Okay I need to stay offline now. These damn Polk commercial breaks.

That sous vide sounds cool but I can't be waiting 4 days to eat besides by then I would have forgotten what I was doing.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a combative jerk, here, Tom. I'm not trying to shoot down sous vide. Like halen says, nothing wrong with it, just a different approach to cooking.

My problem with it is the advertising comes off as propaganda and evangelism and uses false information and seemingly deliberate deception in the hopes that the vast majority won't know what they are actually looking at.

Then you get people all over the internet talking like some kind of expert and holding up an ad for a sous vide stick company as evidence of their expertise while simultaneously shouting down others with differing opinions and experience.

Not saying you are doing that. You're making good arguments and offering good knowledge and help.

Just trying to keep ya honest and offering counter points is all.

But I mentioned I was making London Broil on the grill last night so I snapped a picture when I was done.

This is a solid medium-well (can't give the kids anything below medium) and was done entirely on the grille. The redish color is the marinade being grilled into a glaze. I put the meat in a ziploc bag with the marinade around 8 AM and let it defrost in the marinade on the counter until about 1 pm. Then I threw it in the fridge in the marinade until I was ready to cook at about 5:30 pm. This spent 5 minutes per side over a screaming hot fire for a total of 10 minutes. Then it got moved to the cold side for about 15 minutes with the grill temp reading about 375 degrees. It came out and sat on the counter for 10 minutes to rest and then started slicing.

n0lix860r40h.jpg

If anybody wants the marinade, here's the recipe:

I try to make about 1-1.5 cups of marinade per pound of meat. To make my life easy, this is for 3.5 pounds of meat, the average size of the top rounds I get anymore because the kids wolf this down like it's going out of style.

1/2 cup Montreal Steak Seasoning
    3 tablespoons of dried oregano
    3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    1/4 cup of ketchup
    3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup of soy sauce (regular or low sodium works fine)

Put all that together in a mix cup or bowl and blend it with a fork until the ketchup doesn't float by in chunks. Then dump it on your meat and leave it there for at least 6 hours, 8-10 is preferred. Easy to do in the morning before leaving for work then leave it in the fridge all day (thaw it first if you do this and it's frozen otherwise it'll still be frozen when you get home). Then cook it however you would cook London Broil. I prefer a charcoal grill. Set it up for a hot side and a cold side. When the fire is ready, 5 minutes on one side on the hot side then flip it for 5 minutes on the other side. I usually pour the left over marinade on the meat so I will flip it one more time for 1 minute to sear the marinade into a glaze. If you didn't do that, then just move it to the cold side after the second 5 minutes. Then, if your grill is showing under 350 degrees, leave it on the cold side for ~20 minutes slightly longer the colder the temps are, you shouldn't be lower than 275 for this. If it's over 350 degrees, 15 minutes. Then pull it from the grill, tent it with tinfoil and rest for 10 minutes. Slice thin and serve.

Notes:
    I use McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning because I don't have to worry about making that too. Works great for me but if you want to make your own, just find a spice recipe online or just wing it yourself. The basics are: garlic, coriander, black pepper, Cayenne pepper flakes, dill seed, and salt. Using the Grill Mates mix is just convenient.

I use ketchup because it has the acid a marinade needs and also has the onion powder, salt and tomato paste already mixed in and ready to go. If you don't want to use ketchup you'll need 1/8th cup of vinegar, 1/8th cup of sugar, 1/8th cup of tomato paste, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder 1/4 teaspoon of celery salt.

I use low-sodium soy sauce because there's plenty of salt in the ketchup and seasoning mix, the regular soy sauce can make things too salty.

All that will duplicate the picture above.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    Options
    The inside of that steak looks very good!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    where did you get the container

Standard 12 qt rubbermaid container from Amazon. And it has a "coozie" that wraps around it to keep the temp perfectly stable.
  • PolkThug
    Options
    Here are the accessories I got to go with the 12qt rubbermaid container. njfgtut8zi1u.jpg
  • PolkThug
    Options
    I truly love this thing, always slicing up filets for wine night.gtaoocwpnhid.jpg
  • afterburnt
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    engtaz wrote: »
    where did you get the container

Standard 12 qt rubbermaid container from Amazon. And it has a "coozie" that wraps around it to keep the temp perfectly stable.

You can say "coozie"?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    You can say "coozie"?

A coozie that wraps around it. I think I may know her. :o
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Tom I could not download and re show that pick you posted of a rib eye grilled vs. your boiled method....and my steaks do not lilke like you pic of a grilled steak because i would:....

anyways I would have grilled it indirectly until it hit 90 degrees then flip it and cook it indirectly until it hit 115 degrees and then put over direct heat and then gave it like 30 seconds to sear it and then flip it and when it temp hit 125* I would take it off and let it sit for 5 minutes and it would be almost pink form side to side! B)

both ways well make excellent steaks...with mostly all pink inside..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Okay, ya'll got me interested. Just purchased a Yedi beginner kit on Amazon for $79.95 after $10 instant rebate. Will watch for a cheaper Black Friday deal but think it's a decent gamble. Good reviews to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQMSG2T/ref=vp_c_A2T2P1KLGSIX8X?ie=UTF8&m=A3OFWN93W7N6YD
    ldq72sx3wyh2.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Hey, my new instapot has a Sous Vide button! What should I do with it?
  • halen
    edited January 2020
    Options

May I suggest pushing that button? Maybe Cindy Crawford from the 90s pop out or it transforms into Bumble Bee?

Kidding aside. That is pretty dang cool, which Instapot do you have?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @halen It's a "Duo Plus" Evidently Amazon don't have it no more. "Instant Pot 60 DUO Plus 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure, Slow, Rice, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer, St"???
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    A most interesting thread !

As a brief aside, for all your hamburger helper recommendatios feel free to consider me your go to guide.

Now back to our straight up most interesting (and mouth watering) discussion

Sal Palooza
  • afterburnt
    Options
    A most interesting thread !

As a brief aside, for all your hamburger helper recommendatios feel free to consider me your go to guide.

Now back to our straight up most interesting (and mouth watering) discussion

So what's the word on the street
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options

Does the unit have a temperature control that is adjustable by degrees when selecting the Sous Vide option? The ones I saw online did not have a Sous Vide option.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, yesterday I tried something that I never thought I would SV. That being rice.

I have to admit, it was probably the very best rice I have ever tasted. Don't know why. It was just perfectly cooked. 1:1 ratio of water/rice, kosher salt and two pats of butter for 200/33.

Simply perfection. Will not be cooking rice any other way moving forward. I tried it with long grain white rice and with Jasmine. Perfectamundo on both. The texture, moisture and doneness were spot on. Zero complaints but definitely high praise.

I never thought I would try cooking rice SV but I got tired of the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan, no matter what trick we tried not to get it to do so. Sometimes a trick would work and then the next time, it wouldn't. I wanted something that was consistent.

So, I looked into rice cookers. Spent hours upon hours researching rice cookers and I was about to pull the trigger on a Zojirushi but you had to buy one model that did Jasmine and another one for long grain white and oatmeal. With the price (even for one) and counter space that two would take up? That was not an option.

So, as I was reading the comments/reviews, a couple of people mentioned that they ditched these rice cookers and simply SV'd their rice. So, I read up on that and low and behold? It was actually a thing. Who knew? I sure as heck didn't!

Anyhoo, if you have a SV and you want perfectly cooked rice? Don't follow the manufacturer's directions. Rinse the excess starch off of the rice and do a 1:1 ratio of water/rice, kosher salt and two pats of butter for 200/33. I can say with complete confidence (now that I have tried it) that your taste buds will love the end result and no more dealing with stuck on rice at the bottom of the pan. Ever.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, in following up with my discoveries with SV...

For those of you that have one. Try this when you see fresh corn on the cob. First off, double seal the bag on both sides because this is a hot cook. Place the corn on the cob in the bag, add Kosher salt and a pat or three of butter, then seal it up (again, double seal).

Preheat the SV to a temp of 182 degrees. Put the bag into the SV and cook for 30-34 minutes. Be sure to place a plate on top of the bag (inverted) to keep the bag from floating (which it will).

Hands down, this is the very best corn on the cob I have ever tasted. The fresher the corn on the cob, the better as it retains its sweetness. Our family has come to LOVE it when fresh corn on the cob is available and probably do this at least 3 times a week when it is in season.

I know this doesn't make any sense but it is the "corniest" flavored corn on the cob. I have not found a way to duplicate this using any other cooking method. Plus it's clean, easy and after the SV is up to temp? It's ready in about a half an hour. Just take it out and put it on the plate that kept it in the water, add your corn holders on the end and they are ready to eat.

Tonight, we will be doing a 32 hour Pork Carnita that has regular rotation in our kitchen. It's great shredded or just cut up.

Tom