gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
edited October 2019 in The Clubhouse
Got this today,
Subject: Annual Error Resolution Notice

PayPal
========================================================
Hi (Name removed),

We have tried to send you this email as HTML (pictures and words) but it wasn’t possible.
In order for you to see what we had hoped to show you please click here to view online in your browser:

(Link removed)

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email.

PayPal, Inc. is Licensed as a Money Transmitter by the New York State Department of Financial Services. PayPal, Inc., NMLS #910457, License #FT3345, Massachusetts Foreign Transmittal License. PayPal, Inc., Transmit Money By Check, Draft or Money Order By The Department of Banking, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PayPal, Inc. Rhode Island Licensed Money Transferor. PAYPAL, INC., NMLS #910457, LICENSE #34967, IS LICENSED BY THE GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE.

PayPal, Inc. is Licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Banking to perform Money Transmission, NMLS #910457, License Number MT-910457.

Copyright (C) 2019 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

I have been with them over 10 years, have never received an email like this before. If you get one DO NOT ! open it or click on the link if you opened it just forward it to spoof at paypal.com then delete it also just to be safe change your PayPal password (I did).

NOTE: I could be wrong and having massive brain flatulence but I checked my account all's good no notices. So it just smells off.

~ gimpod
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    For sure brother! I get all sorts of stuff like that in my junk folder. I just delete em.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just seeing how they typed and worded it should be a tip off. No marketing department would put "In order for you to see what we had hoped to show you please click here to view online in your browser"

Or "For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email."

Thanks for the info though and making sure others are aware!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I have used the spoof link at PP more than once. They are super responsive and will tell you good or bad. ( Well that has been my experience)
    I've called them every time i get something similar to see if it is legit.

Nice to hear from you Tony! How's life it has been a long minute since you've been around.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited October 2019
    Good rule if thumb I try to follow....nobody ever lost money or had their identity stolen by NOT responding to an unsolicited email.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    As has been mentioned, this is a scam. Next time include the ‘From’ address. You will see it isn’t from PayPal.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    BlueFox wrote: »
    As has been mentioned, this is a scam. Next time include the ‘From’ address. You will see it isn’t from PayPal.

I actually got the same email as above and checked the from address. It did come from PayPal. Interesting, still no reason for me to click it.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2019
    Really? If it really is a PayPal address then it might not be a scam. Can you post the return address?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Really? If it really is a PayPal address then it might not be a scam. Can you post the return address?

Just in case I deleted it and emptied my trash right after. I got the email maybe 2 days after this thread was started. I do specifically remember looking at the from addresss right away expecting it to be some funky address. Sure enough though it did show a legit @paypal.com Domain email address.

I will say the wording in mine was the same basic premise but more professional. Maybe the OPs email was a phishing knock off of a legit notice?

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    This is the official address for the official notice that I also received: paypal@mail.paypal.com

This is the text:

Dear Count Von Count:

We're sending you a copy of our Annual Error Resolution Notice to provide helpful information if you have a billing error or unauthorized transaction on your PayPal account. Just remember that you can check out our Error Resolution Notice anytime by going to the section of our User Agreement "Liability for Unauthorized Transactions and Other Errors".

As always, if you need help or have any questions, visit our Help Center. You can also find the link on any page of our website.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

So, it’s not “click bait”, since it doesn’t have the link.

It refers to the User Agreement, but nobody needs to follow a link to find that, or login to do so either. It is followed by the complete text of the resolution policy, which requires no link to be read, and contains none within the body of the text.

That’s probably the key difference. Avoid clicking on links in e-mails even if the message itself seems legitimate.
    Alea jacta est!
  • codycatalist
    Kex wrote: »
    This is the official address for the official notice that I also received: paypal@mail.paypal.com

This is the text:

Dear Count Von Count:

We're sending you a copy of our Annual Error Resolution Notice to provide helpful information if you have a billing error or unauthorized transaction on your PayPal account. Just remember that you can check out our Error Resolution Notice anytime by going to the section of our User Agreement "Liability for Unauthorized Transactions and Other Errors".

As always, if you need help or have any questions, visit our Help Center. You can also find the link on any page of our website.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

So, it’s not “click bait”, since it doesn’t have the link.

It refers to the User Agreement, but nobody needs to follow a link to find that, or login to do so either. It is followed by the complete text of the resolution policy, which requires no link to be read, and contains none within the body of the text.

That’s probably the key difference. Avoid clicking on links in e-mails even if the message itself seems legitimate.

Count Von Count huh? Now I know your REAL identity BWAHAHAHA

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Tony, I get those all the time. When you have a published email address like you and I have, it's only a matter of time. I just log into my PayPal account to check my status. If there's something amiss, it will pop up right away.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/