Moderator Vote

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Musta drank me 'bout 15 Dr. Peppers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I honestly think the mod(s) should be people who don't get involved with nonsense, that don't threaten or gang up on others. Shouldn't matter if you have 5000 posts or 100000 posts. The people (mods) need to have Polk and this forum at heart and not specific members or groups at heart.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Russ.... shut UP!

Yeah! Oh, by the way, you better get use to that statement cuz you're going to hear it a lot now that you're getting married.

Yep, won't be long for him Kerry.

ubc6znpg5lfy.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    As I spew morning coffee everywhere!
  • Jesse @F1nut for moderator

Russ @lightman1 in charge of the Kegerator

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    She has T-rex arms. Not much reach for a fist fight nor being able to Randy Johnson a tea kettle.
    She's good people though.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I've been a moderator before, still am in some spots. Y'all don't know the headache you are asking for, I think.

It's easy to be impartial if you have a set of boundaries to abide by.

When it becomes partial is when some lame brain decides they have been unfairly moderated and lashes out at a moderator with everything from "Well this guy over here gets to do it!" to insults about parentage, intelligence and sexual orientation.

So be careful what you wish for. It's a thankless job full of abuse and pretty much zero compensation for babysitting a bunch of grown **** adults acting like **** adolescents.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Jstas wrote: »
    a bunch of grown **** adults acting like **** adolescents.

Seems to be the norm here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lightman1 wrote: »
    She has T-rex arms. Not much reach for a fist fight nor being able to Randy Johnson a tea kettle.
    She's good people though.

Can I be best man at your funer..... I mean wedding? :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Moderator....can ya help me make this call?....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Moderator....can ya help me make this call?....

https://youtu.be/Id0HUt4eNkU
  • mhardy6647
    oops wrong one, eh?

FWIW, I do love this song -- a beautiful, sad song.

https://youtu.be/xCoFz-Fi_40

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oops wrong one, eh?

Me too Mark. What a talent!
  • tonyb
    Loved Jim too. I believe he had a son, anyone know what he is doing today ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    oops wrong one, eh?

Croce could say in a 2.5 minute song what most bands couldn’t (can’t) say in an entire album. Not only was the man a pure and simple musician, he was a poet with his lyrics. Sadly, he had decided to quit music and indicated such in a letter to his wife that she received days after his death at age 30.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'd consider the position but with banning powers, this site would be a barren wasteland with @verb having to talk to himself all the time...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I vote for @lightman1
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    VR3 wrote: »
    I vote for @lightman1

naah, he's too nice.

:)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    The best recent moderators have not been active members of the club. In fact, a moderator does not need to know anything about audio, or even care.

What is needed is:
    • A 24/7/365 presence, including holidays or weekends.
    • Members would be able to use the report button (as well as DM’s, since past moderators have always been identified), so that anything untoward, like a troll attack, can be made known and shut down in a timely fashion, day or night, U.S. time or otherwise.
    • Moderators should also be completely impartial, with no “favorites” or prejudices regarding specific members of the forum.
    • Moderators would also have to have knowledge of CP guidelines, so that they can also communicate directly with members who are not adhering to those rules and get them back under control, or risk sanctions as outlined in those guidelines.
    • Moderators on other forums sometimes use inappropriate DM content to further identify users who are waging a private war behind the scenes with another member (possibly after a thread has been closed, for example).

Given these requirements, it does not seem possible that a CP member (consumer/user/audio expert/“old timer” etc.) would be in a position to fulfill these duties adequately and impartially, nor would it be appropriate for some members to have access to private DM content between other members (the creepy part). An impartial moderator OTOH could logically have such access without causing a problem. Nevertheless, it might be polite to privately inform the member in such cases that their DM’s have been read, and why it was deemed necessary.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited September 2019
    Well said and absolutely spot-on.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    All past moderators have been Polk employees as that was the requirement of Polk. Other than that there's no reason a member or members of the forum could not be the moderator or moderators. There are many other audio forums that have members in a moderator role. So Kex, your reasonings are without merit....well, other than the obvious.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm 99% sure you can make someone mod but restrict certain features from the account, such as full on admin features like read PMs or create and rename sub forums.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kharp1
    Most forums I've been a member of has had members that were mods, it's very common.
  • kharp1
    I'm raising my hand with a "stupid" question, but, what is a DM?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Direct Message
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Direct Message

... they're like capacitor coupled messages, but with better low frequency response.

B)

I have a "low frequency response" for that joke. *lifts thigh*
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited September 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    All past moderators have been Polk employees as that was the requirement of Polk. Other than that there's no reason a member or members of the forum could not be the moderator or moderators. There are many other audio forums that have members in a moderator role. So Kex, your reasonings are without merit....well, other than the obvious.
    Thou doth protest too much, methinks!

I understand that you may not agree with the reasoning, but it is certainly not without merit or validity.

Although there are other forums that have member moderators, those are not usually owned by larger corporations. Is Polk too small to have professional moderation?
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    Professional moderation ? What the heck is that ?

Is there a college degree that makes you a professional ? Seems to me, one only needs common sense and a will to subscribe to and enforce the rules set forth by the parent company. Moderation isn't rocket science, but dealing with the general public can be frustrating at the very least.

I believe Ken S. would attest to that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's