Wife's new Ride

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
So we traded in the Jeep Renegade for the 2019 Dodge Charger AWD in Plum Crazy Purple. I We ordered it and it took about 6 weeks to come in. When I was designing the car they only offered the V6 engine in the AWD model. I actually was happy about this as my wife has a heavy foot and back in the day when I owned a Buick Grand National She would take it out a lot and go racing with it. She would come back from lets say a grocery run and tell me that a guy in a Corvette wanted to race her so she had to ruin his day by showing him my taillights. So no available Hemi for the All Wheel Drive I was very cool with. It's something she wanted as she likes the safety in snow conditions and the ability to drive all year around. She didn't want another Jeep as I was strongly leaning towards a nicely equipped Grand Cheroke which I could get a Hemi and I would have but she once she saw a Charger in Purple that was what she wanted. For a personal reason I wanted her to get the Jeep so I could also drive it once in a while as I'm strongly considering a Jeep SRT next for me. I currently have a 2017 Durango R/T with a Hemi and i absolutely love it. I can give up the 3rd row as I never use it but liked the extra storage room. With the Grand Cheroke I could have tested out the cargo for things we do, feel how it drives on a daily basis and see if I could go that route just with the 6.4 Engine.
The Charger with the V6 I was actually surprised how responsive this engine is. It effortlessly powers this large car with ease. It's not fast but it's fun to drive and comfortable .The ride is amazingly solid and it corners way better then I expected. The All Wheel drive system you can't even tell it has it. It feels like a rear wheel driven car. I gotta learn more about the system they use in this as it seems more like my Durango where it's dominantly rear wheel drive over AWD.
One thing that is a HUGE upgrade over my 2017 Durango is the U connect system. It's so much better. The Car Play alone is worth getting a newer Dodge. I love it. She has the Alpine system and it sound very good. The sub is pretty damn great for a stock system. Very impressive sound.
She loves this thing and I dig it too. It's a nice family ride that has 300hp and it's fun. The Color turns heads everywhere we go and we get so many complements on it it's comical.
The Charger is a very nice well balanced ride, I can see myself getting a SRT version of the Charger as it's an excellent choice if I don't go SUV next. I also like the ability to see out of it unlike the Challenger which I love the way it looks but hate driving it in some ways. It drives big , it feels big and you have blind spots especially out the passenger rear window. The passenger seats headrest in right in the way of seeing in the lane next to you. The Mirrors are small and the back window is also very small. Feels almost as bad the the current Gen Camaro's.
1dwswgaenwyb.jpg
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Great to see a car in a different color than silver, black, white, or grey! Seems like those are the colors for 95 percent of vehicles sold these days.
  • mantis
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Great to see a car in a different color than silver, black, white, or grey! Seems like those are the colors for 95 percent of vehicles sold these days.
    I so agree, I'm really tired of all those colors except White. I really like a White car with black trim.

Dan
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The Charger is BIG; just slightly smaller than the Impala. I love mine. Huge trunk, big "adult" back seat, and loads of fun with a hemi. The interior (as you know) is very similar to the Grand Cherokee, as far as seats and general layout. The Charger has a longer wheelbase than the Escalade.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Congratulations. The plum crazy challenger is one of my favorites.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    That purple is outstanding. Looks like a nice mix of fun and still halfway decent gas mileage. Hope you guys enjoy it!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Looks good!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Very nice! Enjoy!

Quick story. Back in the day, the late 60s, when I was in high school, I had a friend that had a '69 orange Charger. He did a few mods to it, and used to entertain many of us in the parking lot of our high school. He could set up a can of coke in front of the front tire, rev the engine and pop the clutch and "pop a wheelie" right over the top of that can without knocking it over. We were all impressed and none of us ever challenged him to a street drag race!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Good looking car.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The Charger is BIG; just slightly smaller than the Impala. I love mine. Huge trunk, big "adult" back seat, and loads of fun with a hemi. The interior (as you know) is very similar to the Grand Cherokee, as far as seats and general layout. The Charger has a longer wheelbase than the Escalade.
    Which Hemi do you have the 5.7, 6,1 Supercharged or the 6.4 392? The car is fantastic in all respects. I would have enjoyed a bigger engine but I'm not the primary driver.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Very nice! Enjoy!

Quick story. Back in the day, the late 60s, when I was in high school, I had a friend that had a '69 orange Charger. He did a few mods to it, and used to entertain many of us in the parking lot of our high school. He could set up a can of coke in front of the front tire, rev the engine and pop the clutch and "pop a wheelie" right over the top of that can without knocking it over. We were all impressed and none of us ever challenged him to a street drag race!
    A friend of mine has a 68 Charger with a 392 six pack and he also can pull the wheels off the ground. The torque is incredible. Fun car to ride in.
    Dan
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2019
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Which Hemi do you have the 5.7, 6,1 Supercharged or the 6.4 392? The car is fantastic in all respects. I would have enjoyed a bigger engine but I'm not the primary driver.

I have the 5.7L (345cu). It's a good compromise of fun and gas mileage. I'm getting about 17 out of mine in city, around 26 on the highway. FWIW, I drive mine in Sport mode at all times. I don't like MDS. The 5.7 in the Charger is quite different than in the 1500 RAM; waaaay more aggressively tuned, as my son learned after taking a ride in my Charger R/T Blacktop.

I had the Pentastar V6 in my Grand Cherokee and was VERY pleased with its performance. When I traded it in, it had 99k on it, and that motor was a smooth as they day I bought it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    That's great mileage for that engine Steve. I've got a 5.7L V8 in that Lexus and it's running about 13mpg in the city and maybe 17 on the highway. I knew what I was getting into but it's still......oof.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Nice ride! Love the color! I too have a purple vehicle, Chevy SSR! To me color makes a statement, distinguishes you among the masses. Too many black or silver vehicles out there! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mantis
    Options

I have the 5.7L (345cu). It's a good compromise of fun and gas mileage. I'm getting about 17 out of mine in city, around 26 on the highway. FWIW, I drive mine in Sport mode at all times. I don't like MDS. The 5.7 in the Charger is quite different than in the 1500 RAM; waaaay more aggressively tuned, as my son learned after taking a ride in my Charger R/T Blacktop.

I had the Pentastar V6 in my Grand Cherokee and was VERY pleased with its performance. When I traded it in, it had 99k on it, and that motor was a smooth as they day I bought it.
    Yeah a friend of mine has the 5.7 HEMI in his Ram and my 5.7 HEMI in my R/T Durango feels so much faster. I rented a 5.7 Chellenger out in CA Last year and had a blast driving it. I think today people are to caught up in more more more HP it's stupid. I mean I love me a Hellcat or even a 392 Scat Pack but honestly the 5.7 HEMI is a blast and probably plenty for the street.
    Dan
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    edited June 2019
    Options

Yeah a friend of mine has the 5.7 HEMI in his Ram and my 5.7 HEMI in my R/T Durango feels so much faster. I rented a 5.7 Chellenger out in CA Last year and had a blast driving it. I think today people are to caught up in more more more HP it's stupid. I mean I love me a Hellcat or even a 392 Scat Pack but honestly the 5.7 HEMI is a blast and probably plenty for the street.

It almost seems like a case of mine is bigger than yours...for the general folk they won't utilise the massive amounts of HP/torque in vehicles.

While I like the colour of the her car I'm just not a fan of the car.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Sweet color! My wife's favorite color is purple also. She had a purple Cherokee year ago. I remember back in '95-'96 when I had my little pocket hatch 318Ii Sport, I was HOT after a purple M3. Man, I wanted that car bad!
    BMW_M3_E36_purple.jpg

Fast forward, to '06 I said I was going to get the Dodge Magnum HEMI when I turned 40, after seeing it at the Detroit Auto show but that never happened. Then, I wanted a Charger but have moved past that stage in my life. I hate that I missed it. Now, at age 53, a silver 2018 300 S is on my want list behind the Avalon and LaCrosse.
    5.jpg?height=400
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • steveinaz
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    That's great mileage for that engine Steve. I've got a 5.7L V8 in that Lexus and it's running about 13mpg in the city and maybe 17 on the highway. I knew what I was getting into but it's still......oof.

I think it's the 8 speed tranny in the dodge hemi's that really make the difference in MPG. When I'm cruising at 80 mph, I'm only turning 1,700 rpm; again, this is with MDS de-activated (Sport mode).
  • mantis
    Options
    The 8 speed transmission is awesome. My Durango R/T has it and it's amazing crisp upshifts and sports mode seems to hold the gears in most situations perfectly. One of the best transmissions I've ever owned.
    Dan
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    My Jeep JL has the 8 speed auto fantasticly smooth...
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just kept my Buick and avoided the upgrade. Still have a cigarette lighter, and I can get it in gear without needing my foot on the brake... antilock what? Air bag where?

I do love those new hemi car looks though. I was a 'Cuda fan back in the day.
    ?jh940duwbf55.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Driver's side rear tire looks slightly low. ;)
  • mantis
    Options
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    I just kept my Buick and avoided the upgrade. Still have a cigarette lighter, and I can get it in gear without needing my foot on the brake... antilock what? Air bag where?

I do love those new hemi car looks though. I was a 'Cuda fan back in the day.
    ?jh940duwbf55.jpg
    I use to have a 87 myself. I ran 11.66 @121 at the track with her. I had a Turbo T in Gray. I miss that car. I built it from a Stock 13.66 @101 MPH.

Dan
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I had an '87 Turbo Regal with the T-package and blacked out trim.
    0wjzuauakb1o.jpg
    9nsfw2f1c8v2.jpg

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mantis
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    0wjzuauakb1o.jpg
    9nsfw2f1c8v2.jpg
    I always wanted a white one. I love that car. Shame we didn't keep them they are worth so much more today.

Dan
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Looking at those Buicks makes me want to kick myself again. Back in 87',I was picking out a new ride. I had it narrowed down to a GN,or a Camaro IROC Z. I chose the IROC. It was a very fun car! Especially after having the heads ported,beefy roller cam,and 150hp Nitros kit. Hindsight being 20/20,the GN would have been the far wiser choice.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    0wjzuauakb1o.jpg
    9nsfw2f1c8v2.jpg
    I always wanted a white one. I love that car. Shame we didn't keep them they are worth so much more today.

You ain't kidding. Regals, cutlass supremes, el caminos. Seems like all of the GM G body cars have increased their resale values considerably in the last few years. Now the Grand Nationals have always commanded a premium price and today is no exception.

• 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    Options
    fjsd9z8oqtqv.jpg

My wife picked this up, she had a 71 cuda when we got married, always said she was getting another muscle car.
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    Options
    For her it was scat pack, purple only, no stripes, no blackouts. I made her get the dynamics pkg, bigger tires and brakes. It is a hard car not to like. Has averaged 22.4 in the first 1800 miles. You could not give her the cuda back.