Interconnect cables, where best cables are more important?

I have a few different grades os RCA interconnect cables.
Just wondering, where should the best cables be places to get the best SQ.

1- Dac>Pre amplifier
2- Phono preamp>Pre amplifier
3- Preamp>Power amplifier

What would be the priority and why?

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,888
    Wherever it sounds best. Sorry, but there isn’t a definitive answer. I’d focus on 3 though since that impacts all sources.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,178
    This is just me, but, I think if you believe that cables make a difference (and I do) then they're all important. Trial and error as far as placement.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,963
    I agree Kerry and I also agree Skip (amazingly) that replace source-pre-amp with the same brand/type of cables as not to confuse things and get away from cable differences and just focus on source/component differences.
    SPEAKERS - ELAC ADANTE AF-61, TOTEM RAINMAKER, SONUS FABER SOLO, DEFINITIVE TECH SM350, MIRAGE OASIS, SONOS PLAY 5 & 1'S, SVS SB16 ULTRA

POWER - PS AUDIO M700, LINN LK240, MARANTZ SR5013

PRE/DACS - PS AUDIO STELLAR GAIN, AURALIC VEGA G1

SOURCE - DENON 2910, SONY CDX355, JVC XM448, REGA P2 (MODDED) ANIA CART, REGA FONO MC, XBOX 1 S, TIVO BOLT

POWER/WIRES - AQ NIAGARA 5000, AQ HURRICANE HC (2M), AQ MONSOON HC (2M) , AQ COLORADO XLR (2M & 1M) AND RCAs(1M), AQ VICTORIA(1M), ACOUSTIC ZEN SATORI W JUMPERS(3M), ATLAS EOS PC, AQ CARBON COAX, WW STRATUS X3/AURORA X1 PC, AQ CARBON HDMIs

MISC- OKKI NOKKI RCM, HARMONY ELITE, SONY 75XBR900E
  • corticocortico Posts: 583
    edited May 20
    Thanks folks! I notice a cumulative effect with the cables; the more I add the better it sounds. The speaker cables made big difference, so did the pre to power amp. I am thinking that upgrading all source cables with matching MIT wire is a no-brainer to me...
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 6,804
    Once you go MIT you never go back!

Oh wait, I did. Nevermind.
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,940
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Once you go MIT you never go back!

Oh wait, I did. Nevermind.

There's no accounting for your tastes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 860
    I agree that they are all important, but if you can only do one at a time, I would start with the lowest level signal first, as they are most susceptible to interference and/or distortion.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,396
    edited May 21
    This forum made me a believer, and while I never doubted the subject "Cables Matter" I never gave it real thought before Club Polk. There are a lot of great choices and trial and error will help only you to decide what your ears are hearing and which ever you decide on will be your best choice because you made that choice. ears don't lie.......they do get old though!!!! lol
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • verbverb Posts: 6,586
    This forum made me a believer, and while I never doubted the subject "Cables Matter" I never gave it real thought before Club Polk. There are a lot of great choices and trial and error will help only you to decide what your ears are hearing and which ever you decide on will be your best choice because you made that choice. ears don't lie.......they do get old though!!!! lol

Me too brother! I've come a long way since my home brew 12ga stranded wire speaker cables to the MIT Shotgun's!

Even going from the MIT T2 to the Shotgun's was a huge improvement!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    edited May 29
    Ah, you fellas make the mortal people feel like no matter what is done we will be condemn to mediocre performance.

Just got a shotgun s1 interconnects, placed it between Pre and power, moved the T2 for the sources...

Ok, say it! you just tried something else and the shotguns are [email protected] :D

Kidding aside, sound got mellowed out, more definition, and dimension, I think.

Finally can enjoy some recordings I though were bad...
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,940
    Try them between your source and pre. Then find another pair of S1's. Make sure you select the proper impedance setting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Sure thing. Pre has 30kOhms input impedance on unbalanced inputs and power amp100kOhms. Low impedance setting for the Pre, and Mid or Hight for the Power.
    Pre sounds best on low and power amp on mid impedance setting....
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,224
    That should be how you determine where the cable(s) go. Where they sound best. Of course, at some point you need to get a loom of the same cables between all components, including speakers.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Stellar performance! missing a matching interconnect between phono pre and preamp, and a good digital coax between CD player and DAC...
  • vishma112vishma112 Posts: 5
    Thanks for sharing valuable information.It will help everyone.keep Post.
    <a href="https://lottoloots.com/kerala-lottery-guessing/">Kerala Lottery guessing</a>
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,758
    Spam-o-rama -- and using HTML instead of BB code.
    What is this world coming to?