Small Form Factor Power Amp - Suggestions?

Options

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Hope that they're all you could want for that rig.

Now, who wants to make a deal on a pair on Rosso Siena's???

I *TRIED* to get you to trade me for those ACAs! ;-)

In all seriousness, if I hadn't just bought my theater projector, I would be all over them. I need some time to build my mad money stash back up though.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Verb, I'm sensing that you may be a full blown junkie!

I can't argue that! I love it! And, the eagle(s) have landed. FedEx delivered em today! Operation Amp Camp Amp is underway! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    I wonder if the Mrs will notice? :smile:l8bjzxxc9p8j.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Temporary staging, probably have to move em down to either side of the monitor riser, as these little heaters may affect the monitor!

But rather inconspicuous, I may say! :smile:
    edo7zllog5bp.jpg
  • verb
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    You made a great choice Dave. I think you'll enjoy them.

Thanks Skip! Still keeping an eye on those Ampinos! :smile:
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Waiting on a review
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Yeah, me, too :) It would be interesting to hear another perspective on this design. :)

@verb/ @kharp1 (?), do you know which 'generation' of the ACA those are? Are they the original (ca. 6 watts)?
  • kharp1
    Options
    I don't, sorry.
  • verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yeah, me, too :) It would be interesting to hear another perspective on this design. :)

@verb/ @kharp1 (?), do you know which 'generation' of the ACA those are? Are they the original (ca. 6 watts)?

Not a clue. No markings on the outside. Would the internals tell ya? I can certainly pop the hood on em! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Ok I just had to look! Popped the hood! Very elegant in it's simplicity.
    jffumnto0lsy.png
    b9bxk777yy9l.png
    Some markings:
    5msrdyoeap35.png
    g5r92udjiymx.png
    Hopefully that'll help! Let us know professor! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Waiting on a review

They look great! :smile:
  • kharp1
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Waiting on a review

They look great! :smile:

Looks are all that matter. Studies show that is 85% of sound.
  • verb
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    s9sh96sp6i9l.jpg

Yeah baby! Loving the Mac! There is one on CL here locally for 27 hundie! :smile:
  • kharp1
    Options
    s9sh96sp6i9l.jpg

This one has to sound great because it looks fantastic!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Ok I just had to look! Popped the hood! Very elegant in it's simplicity.
    jffumnto0lsy.png
    b9bxk777yy9l.png
    Some markings:
    5msrdyoeap35.png
    g5r92udjiymx.png
    Hopefully that'll help! Let us know professor! :smile:

Sez "1b" and 2013 -- so I assume that's the original morph (6-ish watts).
    You know the story of this design, yes? :)

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_amp_camp_1.pdf
    Current version is 1.6

https://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/Amp+Camp+Amp+V1.6+Build+Guide/5

• verb
    Options
    Just bits and pieces. Now that I’m a proud owner, time to get my read on! Thanks for the links Mark!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It it/they are good sounding.

An educational experience to hear a soiled solid state amp that is designed (in many respects) like -- and that measures like -- a classic single-ended vacuum tube (triode) amplifier. The sound is more similar than different, and the heat produced by a single-ended transistor amp like the ACA is a good reminder that it is not the filaments that make vacuum tubes hot, it's the power that the plates dissipate :)

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    s9sh96sp6i9l.jpg

Yeah baby! Loving the Mac! There is one on CL here locally for 27 hundie! :smile:

Is that in the ballpark?
  • verb
    Options
    s9sh96sp6i9l.jpg

Is that in the ballpark?

IIRC, they’re 35 hundie brand new.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    s9sh96sp6i9l.jpg

Is that in the ballpark?

IIRC, they’re 35 hundie brand new.

I've noticed that for what ever reason there doesn't seem to be shortage of them on the used market even though they're a fairly new amp. I can only guess they're not meeting the owner's expectations?
  • verb
    Options
    Well I finally had a chance this week to transform my office rig. Installed the new monitor riser on my desk. And now retired are the Marantz AMP-1, and CD-1, which are very nice pieces BTW! :smile:

My new rig :smile:

EAR 834L Pre-Amp
    EAR Acute CD Player
    PASS ACA Monoblocks
    NS Intenso DAC
    WW Spaceport Power Conditioner

j31soun0nrj4.png

Everything else remains the same (speakers, cables, etc.)

All I can say is wow! The EAR 834L really increases the 3D image of my nearfield! Running Tidal through the NS DAC is, well, again wow! Of course more impressions to come, but for now, enjoying it!
  • verb
    Options
    So, been playing this rig for over an hour, and yes the little PASS amps are pretty warm on top! Sides are fine. That's class A for ya! As a precaution, I'm gonna a piece of oak board underneath each, so as not to affect the desk! :smile:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    So, been playing this rig for over an hour, and yes the little PASS amps are pretty warm on top! Sides are fine. That's class A for ya! As a precaution, I'm gonna a piece of oak board underneath each, so as not to affect the desk! :smile:

Get you some marshmellows to better use that excess heat :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    we made s'mores last night, come to think of it -- not on the SE 2A3 amp, though.

It would be possible, however.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

Might not be necessary? Heat rises, right? Then again, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe something less ignitable than wood for a base, like some ceramic tiles?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    Options
    They do fit in there just about perfect.
  • verb
    Options
    They do fit in there just about perfect.

Thanks Kerry! Measure twice, cut once! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Might not be necessary? Heat rises, right? Then again, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe something less ignitable than wood for a base, like some ceramic tiles?

Yep mostly! I lifted one of the little heaters and tested the surface of the desk. Not bad, but still warm. Over time it may deteriorate the wood finish, maybe, but better safe than sorry! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    Maybe something less ignitable than wood for a base

Oak will be fine. It takes a LOT of heat for it to ignite. Besides it will give the marshmallows a nice smokey flavor.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus