Thursday Baby

Options
13»

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    edited March 2019
    Options
    it does look better than i thought after living with it for a while, but still thinking about this finish.
    c6jr30qq1vv8.png
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    it does look better than i thought after living with it for a while, but still thinking about this finish.
    c6jr30qq1vv8.png
    Based only on photos, this is still my personal favorite.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    Options
    So I haven't made it over to Marvin's yet to listen to the new Volterras yet, but I did get to listen to the new Fiesole (aka the top part of the Volterra) being driven by the same Mastersound amp that Marvin has. I can you right off the bat the upgrades are striking and positive. I never found the highs to be lacking in Marvin's previous Volterras, but on the new version of this series they somehow managed to really add air up top. It honestly is tightened up and improved in different ways all the way around, but the top end changes were what really jumped out at me. The Fiesole has a surprising amount of bass for the size, but it has a refinement and depth that it hard to find. Still has the signature Rosso sound that's hard to describe. It's one of my personal favorites as far as detail without being clinical or artificial. It's so easy to get wrapped up in these for hours on end. I don't believe the Fiesole's are fully broken in yet, but the differences are impressive straight away. The spacial cues and imaging with these are just unreal.

Not knocking the previous Volterras, I'd buy them in a second if I was in a position to make that move. I've strongly considered making some irresponsible choices to make it happen.

For everyone going to Axpona, don't miss your chance to hear these. Even if you're not shopping or you feel like it's at a price point you don't want to hit, just experience them if you get a chance. The experience is a great reminder of what makes audio fun!
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    You coming to Axpona, Clippy?
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Only if he can tell me where to find a file on Windows.

Seriously though, those are some BEAUTIFUL speakers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • displayname
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wasn't in the cards for me this year. I haven't been lucky enough to go to any of the shows yet, but I'll be at Lone Star is happening this year. Rocky Mountain would probably be the main one I'd fly for.
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Are you on Skips payroll?
  • displayname
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Are you on Skips payroll?
    Unfortunately not. I do actually work for one of the BIG audio companies. I haven’t heard nearly as much as some of the folks here, but I’ve heard some systems that financially would hurt the wallet a lot more than Skips stuff. And I’m honest about my preferences.

Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That’s because you can’t afford you.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    The leather on those looks great. Congrats on the new speakers Marvin!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    one day great sound and the next day eats sh_t add to that, burning in a new pair of speaker cables.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    Options
    It'll be magic once you get there I'm sure!
    Discogs