Knee replacement has gone wrong. Totally sucks for me.

Options

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your hardships, rough situation to be in, I'm sure. Good on you and your wife for being financially solvent, this is something everyone should strive for, yet very few achieve.

Wishing you the very best on a speedy recovery.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    So sorry you have to go through that again. So, your original surgeon didn't notice the gap in the glue?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee surgery problems. That really sux they messed up the first surgery. Hopefully the second one is more successful. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    This stinks, sorry man.

I do think this is legit reason to sue, not for millions, but for compensation for the cost of the first surgery, for lost wages, and because it has made your life more painful and difficult for longer than it should have been. The problem is finding a lawyer willing to only sue for that along with a reasonable lawyer fee and no more. I don't know, unfortunately, if such lawyers exist???

At any rate, hopefully you get it done right this time and get back on your feet and feeling groovy!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    This stinks, sorry man.

I do think this is legit reason to sue, not for millions, but for compensation for the cost of the first surgery, for lost wages, and because it has made your life more painful and difficult for longer than it should have been. The problem is finding a lawyer willing to only sue for that along with a reasonable lawyer fee and no more. I don't know, unfortunately, if such lawyers exist???

At any rate, hopefully you get it done right this time and get back on your feet and feeling groovy!

Two years of pain and suffering, with the doc unable to find(or admit to) the mistake and take corrective action sooner, is plenty of reasons for me to sue for as much as you can get. There is also increased risk brought about by having to do it all over again, with the result being increased pain and suffering, along with rehab. This is a big deal, and should be treated as such.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mark090852
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    This stinks, sorry man.

Two years of pain and suffering, with the doc unable to find(or admit to) the mistake and take corrective action sooner, is plenty of reasons for me to sue for as much as you can get. There is also increased risk brought about by having to do it all over again, with the result being increased pain and suffering, along with rehab. This is a big deal, and should be treated as such.

Wow...So many saying "sue" without any knowledge about what really happened. Yes, it is horrible that the first surgery failed. And we all have expressed sympathy for @Dabutcher and best wishes for a successful 2nd surgery. But to call for him to sue, without any knowledge of why the first surgery failed, is premature. So many on here are too quick to try to place blame on the surgeon. Maybe it was error on his part, maybe it wasn't. We absolutely cannot judge that based on the little information that was presented here.

There was a gap between the bone and new knee parts, so it is reasonable to assume that the glue failed. But did it fail because of mistakes the surgeon made, or did it just fail? Sometimes things fail without any mistakes being made. That's why risks and consequences are explained either verbally, in writing, or both, while obtaining consent prior to surgery.

My advice, which I am pretty much certain you are already doing, is to consult with additional medical and legal experts, and make your decisions based on their recommendations. Don't follow the advice of a bunch of medical and legal amateurs on an audio forum.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I will probly just concentrate on getting the new surgery on April 1st. And get back into fighting shape and get back to work after ninety days FMLA. Now if the second surgery does not produce the results I am hoping for because of the first surgery then I will look further. I appreciate all the helpful hints and best wishes.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    i had my knee replaced oct 31 and it is still swollen, dr said it may be another 3 months+ before it goes down.
    i talked to a guy who said the dr messed up his mother's knee. she had to have it replaced and on top of that it became infected and they had to go in a third time.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I think it safe to say that we all want Mr. D to heal well and completely this time around and also want him to be in the best possible situation going forward. If that means the best doctors on the planet dealing with his care and an attorney looking after his best interests, so be it.

It doesn't take an amateur to see that.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    I spoke to my ortho friends.

The failure rate for a knee replacement could mean several things.

Is failure measured by pain? Is failure measured by complication (DVT, blood clot, wound infection, dehiscence, or failure or the materials)?

If by virtue of pain despite TKR, the rate is approximately 5%.
    If failure by virtue of any failed and unintended consequence, the failure rate is 15%.

I asked about the cement not bonding.

What happens in a knee replacement (this is dumbing it down, even from ortho to me), is they cutout the proximal end of the tibia and distal end of the femur, then they clean out the marrow and the bone, then they add the right mix of cement and allow it to take, and then cap it off with the arthroplastic component (he also mentioned that they would clean the bony ends off and ensure no dust remained, I forget the term or the machine used).

That's the first surgery.

With a revision, there will be a rod that is placed as now you have already laced the bone with cement.

I am not sure what happens after that.

I asked about the failed bond between cement and hardware, what they said was that it can happen, but it is not entirely common. It can be simply an allergy or a failed response by the host, or it could be that the cement was too hard when mixed and did not bond correctly.

Either way, it is very difficult to prove if it was a medical error, because the OP report will say that everything was "perfect" and all the ideal operative situations "occured".

The only way to prove that the orthopedic surgeon was negligent (a core of a malpractice suit) is for there to be supportive evidence of an excessively high failure rate of the same arthroplastic procedure or for there to be supportive evidence of that particular operative case in which perhaps a nurse or a scrub tech documented that the cement appeared hard and the orthopedic surgeon still went ahead and tried to bond the hardware to insufficient cement.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    Thanks. Tony.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I would assume that the second procedure should reveal deficiencies in materials and technique, along with a number of other issues that may have gone wrong the first time.
    I would think having an independent medical professional present during the second procedure would be a good thing as well.

Would this be a correct line of thought Joey?

• Dabutcher
    Options
    Sorry I meant. Thanks. Joey.
    Peace. D
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Good luck on your second surgery Debutcher. Sorry the first one didn't go well for you.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Dabutcher
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Had the revision full knee replacement done on Monday the first of April. Everything seems to be doing good so far. Got off the prescription pain meds in three days. Don’t want to be driving on that stuff. They have a new invention since the last surgery. Waterproof bandage. Now I can take as many showers as I want and not have to duct tape a garbage bag to my leg to keep dressings dry. Which never worked anyways. They always got wet. So whoever invented that-I thank them.The second photo was the night I got home,24 hours after surgery. First is a week after surgery. Thanks for all the support and well wishes.
    Love yours. Dfodvjtjh4umd.jpeg
    xf4a6p36ndwm.jpeg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Glad to hear you got it done and it’s working week so far!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Glad you are on the mend sir... get on the rehab ASAP, as it’s only 8 months until you need to be in shape for shoveling snow, :p

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Yep, rehab super important. Great news that going good so far! I've had three knee operations since blowing out my left knee playing basketball, but no replacements knock on wood. But did rehab at UW sports medicine center for a year and a half every other day after last surgery and I'm convinced its done wonders. My Mother had two knee replacements one month or so apart and she's better than ever. Said no pain first time, but second one pain big time. But she was back at it better than ever in no time and pain went away. I've heard for some reason knee replacements seem to go better in general with women. Here's hoping you're through with the knee pain.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Good luck. ;)

I hope this one is the last one you'll need. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Excellent. Good luck.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Good luck, hope your recovery is quick and painless too (well, maybe less-pain is more to the point)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Good to hear! Get better soon! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Great news! Speedy recovery!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Great news, get well soon.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    So glad to hear that things went well. Wishing you a speedy full recovery.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery -
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    That sucks, so sorry to hear you're going through this. Fortunately, you've planned well and don't have that financial strain as well. Hang in there.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Almost impossible to win a malpractice suit unless the x-ray showed a swiss watch in there or something so don't bother. Don't ask me how I know. Have your doctor get the paperwork started for disability. As for the pain you can take Kratom if you're healthy. It's natural and non habit forming and works as well as opioids. Only side effects are like drinking 2 cups of coffee and taking a viagra. I'm looking at evenually needing knee surgery myself but I'm putting it off for as long as possible.

Good luck and we'll pray for a speedy recovery.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2