Listening DB levels and others

Options
So I was curious about listening levels from all you out there. Most of not all of you have the ability to download a free app for your phones to get a rudimentary reading. I downloaded DB meter pro for $10 but there are many free ones out there.
I found the following readings from my setup interesting.

Without source: room noise without anything playing. Mine was 35db. I assume some of this is appliances, a fish tank, outside noise etc.

source material at listening level that I use 75% of the time:
3m from speakers (seating ) 75db avg with Rufus Du Sol- Solace on vinyl. Not too much low or high. Good amount of middle transients
1m from speakers same source 80db avg
6” from mid/tweet same source 92db avg

Pre amp is set at 44 of 100

I understand there are many factors affecting these numbers and I’m sure the much more intelligent crowd will tell me why these numbers are not accurate, but it’s a good baseline I think for comparison.

IE @clipdat typically listens to about 5db lower than me, but curious what other noise he might not have that maybe makes it more equal that from the outset.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    I've found smartphone apps are inaccurate due to built in compression at the mic
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I don’t doubt that, but if all smartphones do it, the readings from others (if all use smartphones for readings) should be comparable no?
  • VR3
    Options
    Sure but the data is pointless as you cooks be actually at 100 dB versus 85
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Not that far off:
    1xd2eh5gjt7u.jpeg
    1rcp9htgopjd.jpeg
    eo23cg94qnk3.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    Options
    And just to add, this was a curiosity thing on how loud everyone listens at mostly. Not a debate on the accuracy of cell phone microphones which I know are not truly accurate.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I downloaded Decibel X. A couple weeks later, I saw a Radio Shack meter at a garage sale and passed on it. Wish I hadn’t. Well, my quiet room is also about 33-35 dB. I usually listen (to mainly jazz) at average levels of 75-77 dB, with peaks around 82-85 dB. The smartphone was about 8.5 feet from the plane of the speakers.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I never measure what I hear, as I can't listen to measurements. I set the Db level to the most realistic volume possible. I mean, you don't listen to a piano or a violin at 120 Db. Likewise, you don't listen to an Iron Maiden Rock concert at 65Db.

I'll add to Trey's experience. Phones are for the most part, useless when it comes to audio. Not every time but even a broken clock gets the time right once or twice a day.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I downloaded Decibel X. A couple weeks later, I saw a Radio Shack meter at a garage sale and passed on it. Wish I hadn’t. Well, my quiet room is also about 33-35 dB. I usually listen (to mainly jazz) at average levels of 75-77 dB, with peaks around 82-85 dB. The smartphone was about 8.5 feet from the plane of the speakers.

Cool! Very similar measurements ( albeit inaccurate like @VR3 mentioned )
    Seems like 35db is very quiet to me. You too?
  • joecoulson
    Options
    And Trey please don’t misunderstand, I thoroughly respect the amount of knowledge you and others have in this hobby, this was only a very amateur exercise for fun only.
  • VR3
    Options
    I would imagine in the normal ranges (85 and below) it may be within a certain % of a standard SPL meter (now granted, the Ratshack meter is inaccurate as well), back when we used that to graph the response of a room, there was a spreadsheet floating around the account for its issues but that is a different story.

I think where you will really see the differences are at extreme volumes - if you have recorded a live concert, you will hear what I am saying - the end recording for a live concert on a telephone is very very flat (and distorted) because the phone mic is designed to crush the recording.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I do miss the Ratshack. We only have Frys near us now and they are lackluster.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    The 33-35 dB is as quiet as it can be. Nothing running in the house and no yard maintenance people within earshot. Me holding my breath as I read the meter.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    I bought Decibel X Pro and calibrated it using an actual SPL meter. I had to increase the app +10db to get it to match the meter. Phone is Galaxy S8.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    This is no dig at Android, but I did read this:

Android-based apps lacked the features and functionalities found in iOS apps. This is likely due to the iOS advanced audio capabilities compared to other platforms, the open ecosystem of the Android platform, and having so many different Android device manufacturers using different suppliers and components.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    And Drew, where are your readings huh?!?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    I listen at around 80db and my room can read as low as 23db.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Wow. 23 is dead quiet. That’s killer.
    That’s where the whole “first watt” theory would play perfectly no?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I like to listen late at night (or very early morning) so I probably have a very low background noise level. As I mentioned in another thread, while at Magico and listening to a comparison of the S5 and S7 in their dedicated, dead quiet listening room I said their S5s sounded just like mine. And mine are in the living room.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    Options
    I have always found my system sounds best around 1 to 3am...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Ditto.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I think there are two factors favoring late night listening. First, the ambient noise level is very low. Second, most of the neighbors electrical noise creating gear is turned off, so the incoming power is much cleaner.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    And Drew, where are your readings huh?!?

First track:
    10ft = 68db
    3ft = 68db
    6" = 73db

Second track:
    10ft = 70db
    3ft = 71db
    6" = 76db
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Wish I could listen at decent levels at night. Alas we live in a ranch home and I have two kids.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Strange those 3ft and 10ft readings are so close. Wonder if it’s the height they are mounted at?
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I enjoy listening at night as well. Whatever it is the system and sound feels more complete. Actually listening to it right now, Billie Holiday record I got. Sounds very nice.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    My room is at 34.9 at 530am. I have not been able to check listening levels yet.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Still floored that @machone can get into the low 20’s for background noise. That’s dead quiet.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Our loft apartment has a pretty "open" floor plan. With everything off, except the Molekule air purifier, we're at 46 dB. With the cat's water fountain, the space heater, the humidifier, and the refrigerator all running in the background, we're at 57 dB.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    As for the dB levels when listening to music, I'm usually at ~75-78 dB peaks; Probably just under 70 or at 70 dB average when listening to music.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Wish I could listen at decent levels at night. Alas we live in a ranch home and I have two kids.

Simple...buy them earmuffs for Christmas, kill 2 birds with one stone and crank it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable