Efficient Speakers For a Set Amp

FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
This could be an interesting topic. Looking for ideas for efficient speakers to use with a 5-10watt rms SET amp. What would you use and why?
«13

Comments

  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    Price point will matter, but the Omega speakers are nice for these types of applications.
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    DSkip wrote: »
    Price point will matter, but the Omega speakers are nice for these types of applications.

    Let's say under $5000
  • deucekazoodeucekazoo Posts: 144
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/Caintuck.html
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/Omega1.html
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/HR1.html
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/HORN.html

    A few models I would recommend that sound great. My favorite being the HR1s and don't dismiss the Caintuck ones. They have no right to sound so good for their price point.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    edited October 9
    So, so, so many options. Modern or vintage? Single driver, coax or "traditional" two (or more) way? Direct radiator or horns (or a mixture of the two)?

    I mean, I can tell you what I like, but... I'm not you (the OP, that is).

    5 to 10 watts is a pretty powerful SET amp (300B, e.g., is about 8 watts), so the OP will be less constrained than some of us.

    I will say two more things.

    1) I like (vintage) Altec but my own Altecs (604E Duplexes, with Mastering Labs crossovers) have mutated considerably in the past year or two. Maybe not forever, but I haven't yet been tempted to revert to the original configuration.

    24051079897_52426f965b_b.jpgDSC_9984 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

    2) The OP may wish to take a look at this subforum and posts therein at www.hifihaven.org

    http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?forums/high-efficiency.21/

    (even though the discussion topics are, generally, high sensitivity loudspeakers and enclosure designs -- which may or may not use highly efficient drivers. :p )
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    I've got some emerald physics that would fit the bill. o:)
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    Good input. The Decware options are very interesting. In regards to vintage or modern and horn, single driver etc, I really don't know. I have no experience in this realm. My experience has been full range speakers that generally like some power. That is where I am at now. As I look ahead I am thinking about downsizing and am really thinking about the SET angle. So, that said I am open to an education etc.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    edited October 11
    This thread deserves a bump. :)

    To me (FWIW, and not that anyone asked! :p ), the aggravating thing about Decware is -- his stuff does sound pretty good, but you have to put up with Steve Deckert's hyperbolic, purple (and syntactically more or less butchered) prose prose to get to it. His sycophants (heh, my second use of the word in 30 minutes!) are even worse. :(

    But, yeah, truth be told, his stuff isn't bad (although it's gotten kind of expensive over the decades) -- I do still have the SE-84B amp that got me started with fleapower/high sensitivity (with a pair of Cornwalls).

    16265960244_66e6d01ae7_h.jpgDSC_0335 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 484
    edited October 11
    halo wrote: »
    Zu Audio

    I'm actually waiting for the email from Zu that Omen Dirty Weekends are back in production.

    I've got an EL34 based amp that I think will match quite well with them.

    And yes Mark, I know those toobs aren't your preference :-)
    We all have to start somewhere.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    As I say, nothing against the products, just the marketing.

    The SE-84B sounds good and is extremely quiet (quiet-est SE amplifier here). Having indirectly heated filaments (EL84 outputs, wired triode) helps, but it is reall quiet. It is also very low powered... but it would make a dandy treble amp in a bi- or triamped system (ideally with active XOs). :)
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,583
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    Zu Audio

    I'm actually waiting for the email from Zu that Omen Dirty Weekends are back in production.

    I've got an EL34 based amp that I think will match quite well with them.

    And yes Mark, I know those toobs aren't your preference :-)
    We all have to start somewhere.

    When they tell you they're back in stock they mean they have a few of the hickory, only. I ordered the sangria only to be emailed they would be ready in 8 weeks. Finally cancelled my order. I will say they were extremely polite and cordial about it.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

    Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    Appreciate the input. So, the reason I asked for input about efficient speakers is that I am thinking about changing directions with my 2 channel setup. Thinking that my wonderful, tolerant wife and I will be downsizing in the next few years and I will have to part with some of my horde. Big speakers (SDA 1C, DCM Time Windows, RTA 12B, Monitor 10's, 7B's etc), amps and pre amps (Rogue Cronus Magnum, Adcom 555, Eastern Electric Mini Max pre, Fisher X100 tube integrated etc, etc).I have systems set up in 4 different places in the house. Keep in mind that the room setups are not ideal, but I need to move some equipment along. And as I have journeyed down this audio rabbit hole I still want to experience and listen to mo stuff. Enter the SET amp and some efficient speakers. I want to hear the "first watt" magic, be able to have the setup in a smallish space and not miss the big, full, crisp sound I have been accustomed to. I know Klipsch are known to be extremely efficient but are they fatiguing to folks that have experience with them? That is another piece to the equation......don't want fatiguing. Sigh. Am I asking for too much?? Oh, and no fighting or you will be put on "timeout". Would give you a good a$$ whipping for misbehaving but that is not politicly correct anymore nor allowed. :D
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    edited October 12
    Faustin wrote: »
    Appreciate the input. So, the reason I asked for input about efficient speakers is that I am thinking about changing directions with my 2 channel setup....

    Sigh. Am I asking for too much??

    Sort of :) thanks to Hoffman's Iron Law.


    Small Size
    High Sensitivity
    Bass Extension

    pick two.

    :)


    Where do you live (regionally), again? :) I have all sorts of things you can try before you buy. Even some stuff that's not five-ish decades old. :p

    Even the small stuff may not be cost-effective to ship cross-country (and back) though. :/

    I'd suggest Fostex but they are an acquired taste. My FE207E in bass reflex cabinets are currently out on loan to a friend. His comments reflect the dilemma with many of Fostex high-ish sensitivity drivers:
    ... I like the Fostex boxes but there seemed to be something missing in the upper end of the bass region or lower midrange (I'm guessing as I didn't try to measure anything - I don't have the equipment). There was a fullness there that I was missing. The "female vocal" range is quite good, though a tad shouty (but I think that may only be and artifact of what I was missing a little below that range).

    I did note that I was surprised how much bass there was. I don't think of fullrange single driver speakers as being very full in the low end. Yet they were decent in that regard.

    Fostex does have some almost turnkey solutions that aren't crazy big -- but they're also not everyone's cup of chai -- and they're not super-high sensitivity (although they do "OK" to "well" with, e.g., SE 2A3 amplification IMO/IME).

    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-20-folded-horn-kit-pair/

    There are also these... they were all the rage 15 or 20 years ago in certain circles (and they were inexpensive, then, too). I've never heard them, though (i.e., these drivers and enclosures).
    http://www.thehornshoppe.com/


    PS I am right there with you when it comes to nonfatiguing -- and there are lots of expensive and desirable loudspeakers I simply can't stand listening to for more than a few minutes as a consequence.


  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    Thanks for the input mhardy and halo. I will do some more reading and check out the links. I live in the Chicago area mhardy.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,583
    Do you already have the SET amp? Reason I ask is there are SET amps that offer considerably more that flea power. Perhaps a bit more on the amp and speakers become less of a issue.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

    Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 484
    kharp1 wrote: »
    When they tell you they're back in stock they mean they have a few of the hickory, only. I ordered the sangria only to be emailed they would be ready in 8 weeks. Finally cancelled my order. I will say they were extremely polite and cordial about it.

    Duly noted.
    Thanks for the info. We shall see.
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    Faustin wrote: »
    Thanks for the input mhardy and halo. I will do some more reading and check out the links. I live in the Chicago area mhardy.

    I currently do not have a SET amp. Just beginning to research and learn.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,164
    Haven't heard a horn based speaker that wasn't fatiguing to some degree. If your sensitive to that, then stay away from them. Some do better than others at it, but it's still there. To my ears anyway.

    Also consider the type of music you like to listen to, and the volume you like to listen at.

    Personally, I think with the flea amp idea, and possibly a horn type speaker, or any other speaker with sensitivity high enough to match a flea powered amp, your going to have to make some trade offs.

    Me....I like a speaker/amp combo that I can throw anything at, play at any volume I like, and still puts a smile on my face while listening for hours on end with no fatigue. In this audio thing, everything comes with some sort of trade off, limitations. I prefer to reduce that as much as possible. That's just me though, you rock it as you see fit.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

    Kitchen

    Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    edited October 13
    tonyb wrote: »
    Haven't heard a horn based speaker that wasn't fatiguing to some degree. If your sensitive to that, then stay away from them. Some do better than others at it, but it's still there. To my ears anyway.

    Also consider the type of music you like to listen to, and the volume you like to listen at.

    Personally, I think with the flea amp idea, and possibly a horn type speaker, or any other speaker with sensitivity high enough to match a flea powered amp, your going to have to make some trade offs.

    Me....I like a speaker/amp combo that I can throw anything at, play at any volume I like, and still puts a smile on my face while listening for hours on end with no fatigue. In this audio thing, everything comes with some sort of trade off, limitations. I prefer to reduce that as much as possible. That's just me though, you rock it as you see fit.

    IMO -- you simply haven't heard the right horns, ol' son. Or you've heard the right horns with wrong electronics. :)
    I am very (very) sensitive to ear-gouging loudspeakers -- which is my dig
    against many modern loudspeakers (fwiw). All that detail is like ice picks into my ears. :(

    That's why there aren't any products (vintage or modern) branded Klipsch in the house, too, by the way :)


  • deucekazoodeucekazoo Posts: 144
    Faustin wrote: »
    Faustin wrote: »
    Thanks for the input mhardy and halo. I will do some more reading and check out the links. I live in the Chicago area mhardy.

    I currently do not have a SET amp. Just beginning to research and learn.

    If you want to hear what a SET setups sound like and different speakers you are only 2.5 hours away from Decware. They are located in East Peoria, IL. Give them a call and setup a listening session. This will be the best way to see if you like the sound and also will give you a reference if you hear other setups.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    Faustin wrote: »
    Faustin wrote: »
    Thanks for the input mhardy and halo. I will do some more reading and check out the links. I live in the Chicago area mhardy.

    I currently do not have a SET amp. Just beginning to research and learn.

    If you want to hear what a SET setups sound like and different speakers you are only 2.5 hours away from Decware. They are located in East Peoria, IL. Give them a call and setup a listening session. This will be the best way to see if you like the sound and also will give you a reference if you hear other setups.


    Not a bad idea actually. I do not like Deckert's silly, hyperbolic, agrammatical marketing style, but the stuff he's made does generally sound pretty good.
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 771
    That is a good idea. I will have to look into checking out Decware. Been looking at different speakers; the Madison Sound kits with the Fostex drivers, Acuhorn, and Fibhorn.

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    edited October 18
    Abbys are indeed well worth a listen (IMO, and FWIW) - they're a little too midrange-aggressive for my tastes (again, FWIW). They got that lean, midrange-forward Fostex thing goin' on.
  • deucekazoodeucekazoo Posts: 144
    Faustin wrote: »
    That is a good idea. I will have to look into checking out Decware. Been looking at different speakers; the Madison Sound kits with the Fostex drivers, Acuhorn, and Fibhorn.

    You might know about this site but just in case you don't here is a forum to check out.
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/

    Also if you feel like making your own
    https://www.planet10-hifi.com/
    they have a box plan library for most of the full range drivers and also they sell flat packs.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,574
    The price is right for those Omen Dirty Weekends.
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 484
    halo wrote: »
    WHOA!!!

    Zu Audio SKeleton Sale!!!!

    https://zuaudio.com/sale/

    RUN, DON'T WALK!!!

    @Faustin

    You Rat Bastige.
    I just got my credit card paid off.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    I've got a pair of Klipsch KLF 20 I could let go of. I tried this on my Evo 300B at 24 watts and it was pretty awesome. I haven't tried it on 'flea power' amps though.
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!