New TOOL

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Please post your findings here as I cannot and will not be a part of FB or Twits
    Thank You guys.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    Just loaded up all the Tool albums in the CD player. I don't know that they'll get much action after today.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    I understand that putting their music up on the streaming services is all about marketing for the new album, but I am still a bit surprised that they went the extra mile and made a playlist of top tracks on Spotify. Wonder how much thought they put into the sequencing?
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    edited August 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    dr1978 wrote: »
    Really hoping we get pre-order info tomorrow, along with the streaming rollout. In the mean time I'll be preparing myself for the sticker shock of whatever deluxe packaging they're going to offer.

I signed up for a dumb Twitter account just so I could be instantly notified of preorders. If there's a collectors/rare version of the vinyl I don't want to miss out and end up paying eBay scalpers. After this is over I'm deleting Twatter.

I think I'm signing up for Instagram. Sounded like that was the first site he posted the announcement to during the joe rogan podcast. Hey, every second counts!
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • joecoulson
    I understand that putting their music up on the streaming services is all about marketing for the new album, but I am still a bit surprised that they went the extra mile and made a playlist of top tracks on Spotify. Wonder how much thought they put into the sequencing?

Same thing on Tidal
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2019
    Previous Tool albums now available on HDTracks in 96/24 format...

https://www.hdtracks.com/music/artist/view/id/28697/

20 percent off with new releases code HDAug20 makes them $14.39 a piece.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    😂😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    Emlyn wrote: »

I would think that they would have up-sampled the original files to 96/24, which means this can be done with ripping software. I am not sure how they would be the only ones with access to the master analog tapes to extract 96/24 music? Correct me if I am wrong but Maynard (who is the deciding factor in all of this) has not mentioned re-mastering at all?
  • displayname
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

I would think that they would have up-sampled the original files to 96/24, which means this can be done with ripping software. I am not sure how they would be the only ones with access to the master analog tapes to extract 96/24 music? Correct me if I am wrong but Maynard (who is the deciding factor in all of this) has not mentioned re-mastering at all?
    I haven't seen/heard anything about remasters. Honestly though, they have always had pretty solid mastering so I'm not sure it's needed at this point.
    I also think saying Maynard is the deciding factor is incorrect. He is certainly the public face of the band, and will voice when he disagrees with things, but he is very upfront about decisions being group decisions.

Honestly given the lengthy legal battles that took place over these albums, remastering might have legal limitations as well. Maybe something only the band can do, or only the label can do, can't be done for a certain amount of time, who knows. Or it might just be a smart financial play. Get everything up on streaming now, bring in the cash cow that they've been missing. Then after the new album is out and everything has been streaming for a few years, release remasters of everything and get a second push on these new revenue streams.

Obviously all speculation, but given the band/label history and the potential money at play, there is all kinds of reasons to hold off remasters... if they even want to do them in the first place.
    Discogs
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Soooooooo happy to have Tool on Spotify now. Goodbye CDs, it was nice knowing you.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Does Spotify stream CD quality, or a lower bit rate?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • displayname
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Does Spotify stream CD quality, or a lower bit rate?
    Lower, 320. I'm at home and I'll still use my CDs here. I'm excited to have Tool in the car, at work, etc etc.
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2019
    I'll buy one of the HDTracks albums tonight and compare it to the CD and ripped WAV files to see how it sounds to me. If I like it, the rest will be on my download list too. The releases are too new for there to be much credible info out there on their quality, but it does appear based on what I've seen so far that they are remastered versions. The music label makes the material available to HDTracks and other sites in the formats they choose to. Because of criticism, I think HDTracks has in the last couple of years been identifying cases where tracks are upsampled from an original 16 bit source. They're not saying that's the case with the Tool releases.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    joecoulson wrote: »

Same thing on Tidal

Whoa! Last time I looked they weren't there! Schism, one of my all time faves!
    kycb0k4opo6c.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Yeah, Tidal had no Tool a week ago
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Really hoping we get pre-order info tomorrow, along with the streaming rollout. In the mean time I'll be preparing myself for the sticker shock of whatever deluxe packaging they're going to offer.

I signed up for a dumb Twitter account just so I could be instantly notified of preorders. If there's a collectors/rare version of the vinyl I don't want to miss out and end up paying eBay scalpers. After this is over I'm deleting Twatter.

I think I'm signing up for Instagram. Sounded like that was the first site he posted the announcement to during the joe rogan podcast. Hey, every second counts!

I'm not signing up for that as well. If something gets posted there before everywhere else post in this thread so we all get an email notification.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Just in one day Tool now occupies half of the top 10 on iTunes.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

That’s a good thing! ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • displayname
    I hope they release their streaming revenue generated from the initial launch at some point. I'd imagine the steaming numbers from launching the whole back catalog in one day are significant.
    Discogs
  • dr1978

I'm not signing up for that as well. If something gets posted there before everywhere else post in this thread so we all get an email notification.

Yes sir!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    I purchased everything off iTunes just to have it on my phone today, now I have no issues playing Tool where ever I go..
  • dr1978
    Pre-order on Wednesday
  • Nightfall
    f1c60z3vpmrn.jpg

• Nightfall
    Pre-order on Wednesday

Heck yeah man. Links for preorder location will be posted tomorrow so we can all keep hitting refresh at 11:59 PM.

• Nightfall
    https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/tool-unveil-fear-inoculum-cover-more-details-about-the-new-album
    Additionally, the October 2019 issue of Guitar World features a new interview with Adam Jones and Jones spills all the beans on Fear Inoculum. Jones confirms the new album is looooong, 80 minutes long to be specific. He says there are seven tracks in total, and there are no songs that follow the standard radio single format – one song has a four minute guitar solo.

• displayname
    Pre-order on Wednesday
    I'm assuming that it will be for more than CDs and digital files if they are doing a big pre-order push.
    https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/tool-unveil-fear-inoculum-cover-more-details-about-the-new-album
    Additionally, the October 2019 issue of Guitar World features a new interview with Adam Jones and Jones spills all the beans on Fear Inoculum. Jones confirms the new album is looooong, 80 minutes long to be specific. He says there are seven tracks in total, and there are no songs that follow the standard radio single format – one song has a four minute guitar solo.
    I like that description already.
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Well if it's SACD .... LET ME KNOW :D
  • dr1978
    Pre-order on Wednesday
    I'm assuming that it will be for more than CDs and digital files if they are doing a big pre-order push.

For sure. In one of the blurbs that Maynard put out in early spring he made a brief mention of "special packaging" so I'm sure there's something on the way.

I wonder if they'll cash in and go the deluxe reissue route with the other ones at some point. Regarding vinyl I only have the Lateralus picture disc, I'd probably be a big enough degenerate to buy them all if they come up with something cool.