New TOOL

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited November 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’m starting to think they delayed release of the album not for the music but for this plethora of posters to be designed.

Lol! They sign them before each show. Had to wait for them to arrive at the merch stand I was at in Chicago.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited November 2019
    Not really a plethora when you think about it, each show has had different quantities 400-800 depending on artist, and the band can sign between 75-150 per show, and Adam will doodle between 2-5 per show..
    When they play a venue of about 30k a night 400-800 posters a night ain't $417...
    The cool factor just like the NIN tour is the exposure these artist's get that can be tough for most of them, outside of the likes of EMEK, and or Sperry that are very well known, and more established in the world of posters and other art forms..
    When they are commissioned to do the work, I wonder what the percentage is between the band, and artist? I would bet (and I could be wrong) that Trent Reznor takes the least amount, only because he seems like the kind of guy that would do so...
  • halo
    edited November 2019
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Not really a plethora when you think about it, each show has had different quantities 400-800 depending on artist, and the band can sign between 75-150 per show, and Adam will doodle between 2-5 per show..
    When they play a venue of about 30k a night 400-800 posters a night ain't $417...
    The cool factor just like the NIN tour is the exposure these artist's get that can be tough for most of them, outside of the likes of EMEK, and or Sperry that are very well known, and more established in the world of posters and other art forms..
    When they are commissioned to do the work, I wonder what the percentage is between the band, and artist? I would bet (and I could be wrong) that Trent Reznor takes the least amount, only because he seems like the kind of guy that would do so...

I would agree as Reznor released an album to his fans, online, for free. To my knowledge, TOOL hasn’t don’t anything like this and is likely to gouge their fans for stupid things (especially Maynard). If you join the TOOL Army, your welcome packet can take 6-9 months to get to you. Trent disbanded the Spiral, a fan club for nin followers that was $ to be a member, but, when it was $ to be a member, you got a nice welcome packet pretty quickly.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I think it's really cool that they designed a bunch of posters. Unique for each venue, hired multiple artists, some are signed, and the posters are really top notch quality.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Tonight's poster from Washington DC!
    v4a6cy2c1oo9.png
    Better lighting Acid brings out some colors!
    et1lr1gcdeqg.png

fixed it

Lol - Well that brought back some memories! Of people I know, of course! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Cool posters for sure!

Any of them "pop" with black lighting?
  • halo
    collector wrote: »
    Cool posters for sure!

Any of them "pop" with black lighting?

The poster from show on October 31st in Milwaukee, WI. is a black light poster.
  • verb
    Final poster of the year. A nice thank you gesture!
    p8rg1bb1a8hl.png
  • verb
    This is crazy, but I guess not totally unexpected. Vinyl bootlegs out there! But, I'm still a bit impressed about the level of detail and sophistication of this set. :smile:
    f8waa9b9hhde.png
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I've got a couple Tool bootleg LPs. 10k Days, some Lollapalooza concert, and Aenima.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    edited November 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I've got a couple Tool bootleg LPs. 10k Days, some Lollapalooza concert, and Aenima.

Interesting! How is the sound quality?

I did pickup a while back the Lateralus picture disc on Amazon. Haven't played it yet! :smile:
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    This is crazy, but I guess not totally unexpected. Vinyl bootlegs out there! But, I'm still a bit impressed about the level of detail and sophistication of this set. :smile:
    f8waa9b9hhde.png

Picture disc bootleg sourced from digital files. I bet the sound quality on these are hilarious.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Historically speaking most picture disc LP's I ever had were never very good even at the peak of vinyl in the 70's and 80's
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2019
    The Lateralus picture disc is a swooshy sounding pile of garbage.

But then the Beavis and Butthead picture disc I have sounds pretty good.

• Nightfall

Interesting! How is the sound quality?

I did pickup a while back the Lateralus picture disc on Amazon. Haven't played it yet! :smile:

They sound like digital cut to LP. Not bad, not amazing.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Some nice artwork on these posters. Thanks for posting & links. I enjoy TOOL also
    Randy/Maine
  • halo
    Just got one of my posters back. This one was framed at Michael’s with a black metal frame, acid free backing, and museum glass. Very reasonable.

zficfrkwkjfv.jpeg
  • verb
    halo wrote: »
    Just got one of my posters back. This one was framed at Michael’s with a black metal frame, acid free backing, and museum glass. Very reasonable.

zficfrkwkjfv.jpeg

Very nice Vic! I was thinking about going to Michael's as well!
  • halo
    halo wrote: »

zficfrkwkjfv.jpeg

Very nice Vic! I was thinking about going to Michael's as well!

Thanks Dave! I’d recommend them. I ordered an Aaron Brothers frame online and brought my “picture/artwork” into the store. 70% off sale right now.
  • Nightfall

• verb
    Just picked up this variant! :smile:
    7al8b63o1cr5.png
  • verb
    Very Cool! Larry's Tool Art Museum! :smile:
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637

You don't want to see @lightman1 's "tool" museum...
  • verb

Nope. And now I can't mentally unsee that either! :smile:
  • Nightfall

Wait. You have a mental image of Russ's tool?

• verb
    edited December 2019

Wait. You have a mental image of Russ's tool?

LOL! Nope! :smile:
  • verb
    Arrived today! :smile:
    dzfejif09e2j.png
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    More details on the second CD pressing
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs