new integrated amp

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Sure if pretty....glad you're enjoying it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,853
    i've got the question out about the high damping factor negative feedback thing.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    here is the answer to your questions about the high damping factor and negative feedback.

The damping factor is a calculated value of the engineering design. The calculation may differ from one to another manufacturer.

The THD+N 0.006% was measured using A-Weighting method whereby the measurement naturally lowered (favorable to the readers?).

In Srajan review, the published AP report shows THD+N at 0.02321%. This is direct measurement without A-Weighting filter in the Audio Precision machine.
    This tells us that there is no large local/global feedback. EX-M1 uses a relatively small feedback loop at stage one amplification. Kinki Studio chief Mr. Liu comment was, large local/global feedback loop is undesirable as the sound will be muffled or overly smoothen - this is definitely not Kinki Studio house sound.

My reply previously to a guy.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
    Alvin

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited August 2018
    That's an interesting answer.

I'll stop pickin' at this after one more comment.
    It's hard to reconcile the very low THD levels and high DF (i.e., low output impedance) reported for these amps with the notion of very limited amounts of feedback... although low feedback is compatible with early comments on these amps of very high levels of gain.

• marvda1
    the new gain switch on the does come in handy, as when I first turned the amp on and played music the amp was set on high gain. at 12 the volume was as loud as I like to listen. putting it on low gain 40 was loud but still lower than the high gain setting of 12.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    LMAO.....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Nice Marv, don't worry too much about the DF, or global feedback. If it sounds good to you, meshes well with it's playmates, that's all that matters. Congrats on the new toy.

That faceplate though, makes my eyes go buggy. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    edited August 2018
    i mentioned to them that you can't read the name from your chair and suggested to back light it or paint it with a metallic paint. how about red or gloss black.
    you don't like playing with two ole knobs >:)
    Puritan PSM156
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Always liked integrateds, but only owned 1 way back in the early 80's; it was a Pioneer A-9, and sadly it actually went up in smoke one day.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I really like intergrateds also. I have an Anthem that is great. This Kinki is interesting.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • marvda1
    i started out with kenwood integrateds.

i was listening to a jazz cut that started out with a sax solo and in between notes and breath breaks i could hear this sort of reverb harmonics lowly in the background. i was sitting there trying to figure out what it was, then a piano and drums joined in. it was the sax causing the strings of the piano to vibrate and create harmonic overtones to the tunes of the sax. this amp is pulling in some weird (nice) stuff.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I long felt that the best bang for buck was to be found in integrated amplifiers -- especially when I was severely finance constrained.

FWIW, I started with one, too, of which I am still quite fond (although, I'm sure, not strictly objectively).

12312777693_480440b67e_b.jpgP1020541 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • marvda1
    Puritan PSM156
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited August 2018
    That video was something good to watch for sure. I know being there would be the best way to judge.

The Kinki seemed like a great power amp pushing what was fed to it. It seemed to be a great match for his components and speakers for sure.

I loved how much better the sound, sounded when he used the clock in the CD player instead of the one in the DAC. I heard the sound IMPROVE!

But from his phone being the microphone source for us to listen by, I found the sound from that stupid cheap outlet block and generic power cords to be better sounding than the $11k ( total) power block and power cords. I'm saying, I did hear a difference but...

Also, that magnetic plug thing did affect the sound in a negative way for sure. So that sure tells me, power from the outlet itself , CAN change a stereo's sound. I was a skeptic but still believed all the people WITH EXPERIENCE that you do, or can get improvement of sound ( that comes out of speakers way down the chain ) from upgrading a power cable sometimes.

That was very cool to watch! B)

Thanks
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    That’s a lot of DF.

I don’t think even my Boulder has that much

Good to hear it sounds good, that’s all that matters anyway
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    maxward wrote: »
    Not sure if I care for the faceplate either, but it probably doesn’t show fingerprints.

The remote control should negate the need for touching the controls. I avoid going near my gear...that's how cosmetic accidents happen.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    maxward wrote: »
    Not sure if I care for the faceplate either, but it probably doesn’t show fingerprints.

The remote control should negate the need for touching the controls. I avoid going near my gear...that's how cosmetic accidents happen.

How do you clean? Or better yet how often?

• marvda1
    light dusting and I use this company for covers.
    https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/
    Puritan PSM156
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Price seems to be climbing based on demand. Website shows it at $2,898 today and they claim a 3-4 week shipping delay. Looking for something interesting to give my son to upgrade his system. The Parasound A21 at $2,495 for his modded out 3.1's is at the top of my list right now. Replacing his Emotiva PT-100 with a Carver C-1 I just finished rebuilding from the ground up so not so sold in the integrated aspect.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• marvda1
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    Price seems to be climbing based on demand. Website shows it at $2,898 today and they claim a 3-4 week shipping delay. Looking for something interesting to give my son to upgrade his system. The Parasound A21 at $2,495 for his modded out 3.1's is at the top of my list right now. Replacing his Emotiva PT-100 with a Carver C-1 I just finished rebuilding from the ground up so not so sold in the integrated aspect.

that 2898 is sgd not usd. it's $2122 us
    Puritan PSM156
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Ahh, missed that little detail. Thanks for pointing this out. Now it's looking a whole lot more attractive for sure.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• That Amp is absolutely beautiful, Congrats!
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • marvda1
    Puritan PSM156
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    edited October 2018
    Wobbly knobs right out of the box?
    I figured time and gravity might do it but...

Quality parts part caught my attention...
    Love the XLR inputs.

No phono, tuner, headphone jack or DAC....

S/N is just over the wire. I'll be interested to hear what you hear.

Maybe better to drop some of the inputs or move the IEC...
    the money goes into the interconnects.

Muting? Clipping protection, overheating protection?

Warranty?
    Post edited by SIHAB on
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    edited October 2018
    No Mono bridging...

Clean layout. Could it benefit from isolating the amps?

I don't like the looks of the binding posts. I'd be interested to know
    how you like them.

12v trigger?

Sensitivity? How does it sound with various components?
    Be cool to have a sensitivity switch seeing as how this is
    a multiport amp. (at least for the XLR input)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • marvda1
    edited October 2018
    All this stuff you're asking for costs money. This amp is about sound. Find an amp with all the features you mention and let me know how much it costs.
    I don't find my knobs wobbly, you don't use the knobs with the remote in hand.
    Puritan PSM156
  • SIHAB
    It's not personal, it audio. Please forgive me if it was taken that way.
    I'm just suggesting options the potential buyer might consider.
    This amp reads like an amp for tough to drive speakers or floorstanders.
    An integrated amp is usually considered when there is space
    considerations. (or easy of use)

• marvda1
    edited October 2018
    I didn't take it that way, I was just trying to point out that for those like me who don't have a lot of coin, there is a way to get top sound.

I know there are a lot of features to be had and some require a lot of them but be prepared to pay, but for those that need basics and want high-end sound, the $2200 kinki fits the bill.
    Puritan PSM156